• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Meltdown thread

Obviously not, but sometimes I wonder if a successful player might have a harder time trying to teach and coach lesser talent. Manning had extreme talent as a player, but does that dispose him to not understanding how much coaching/teaching less talented players need? I'm not saying Danny didn't work his ass off coming up as a player, but I would imagine a lot of it came naturally to him. I don't know, I wish like all get out that Danny is successful here. We couldn't have a much better face of the program if he does succeed long term, but I'm just not seeing growth as a coach and I'm afraid the progress of John Collins may not have been as much from Danny's coaching as we thought.

And yet Danny speaks all the time about how his many injuries taught him to view and play the game differently in the NBA, and then tries to use that "acquired wisdom" to assure us he knows how to teach the little things that make you successful in the game of BB without having to be the most superior or athletically blessed athlete. If this is his calling card, so to speak, then somebody revoke it because we are not seeing nearly enough of these "little things" or learned \ taught nuances manifested during the games.

You telling me that Randolph is okay with Brandon just dribbling around aimlessly before storming into the lane like his Daddy without Daddy's ability to finish?? How is this still happening? There is a disconnect somewhere. Or is Danny crushing so many souls with his "tough love" diatribes in practice that no one is playing with any confidence except Craw, Key and Chill?

Unfortunately, swagger and mild arrogance gets you nowhere fast without a good framework of a team concept (see NCSU last year). Right now, we seem to be tripping all over our big D's, and inflated egos are being reinforced by Danny's quick hooks and "shitty ensembles" that engender no confidence in a struggling, self-doubting frosh or soph.

Last edited:
Hall of Fame Coach Bill Self and others have said Danny's biggest strength is player development. But I guess posters here know better.

Hall of Fame Coach Bill Self and others have said Danny's biggest strength is player development. But I guess posters here know better.
"Jeff [Redacted] combines an incredible work ethic with a razor-sharp basketball mind and will certainly be a credit to Wake Forest both on and off the court. In our 30 years of coaching, he ranks at the top in his ability to relate to players and develop programs."
- Gregg Popovich, Head Coach, San Antonio Spurs

"What a wealth of experience Wake Forest is getting with this hire. Jeff has been a head coach in the NBA, a college assistant and a college head coach -- at very different types of schools. Jeff has been an outstanding coach and person in all of them. Wake Forest is getting a terrific coach in Jeff [Redacted]."
- Mike Krzyzewski, Head Coach, Duke University

Good argument.

When we took Chaundee out after he drained a 3 to cut it to a 4 point lead and be subbed in Childress, that's when I looked at the folks I was with and said the game is over.

They extending the lead to 11 I want to say, and then we brought Chaundee right back in 45 seconds later. Just mind boggling stuff. There is nothing worse than watching our 2 PG's literally just hand the fucking ball to our opposition.

My experience w/ Wake Forest Basketball so far this season: A play in 4 acts

Act I - November 1st: "I really hope our soft non-conference schedule won't come back to bite us on selection Sunday!"

Act II - November 3rd: "Well, a win is a win... I mean, it's only an exhibition and Queens University of Charlotte is ranked #2 in all of Division II!"

Act III - November 10th: "It's only one game... I mean, Georgia Southern returns a lot of talent and they'll probably win the Sun Belt Conference this year. Won't be such a bad loss when you look back at the end of the season. Probably motivates the team!"

Act IV - November 14th: "Liberty University? What in the fuckity fuck is Danny Manning doing? We aren't going to win a single game this season. Burn it all down to the ground! I hate my life."
LOL....and then

Act V: November 15th: "Can I go back and re-do my vote on the How Many Wins poll before anyone notices?"

I kind of think Manning is an evil genius.

Expectations too high? Let's just lose the first two games to reset them. In fact, let's look so bad that otherwise rational people will question if we can ever win another basketball game! That way, when we rattle off a turd of a season and finish around .500, at the end of the year people will think we overachieved!

When we took Chaundee out after he drained a 3 to cut it to a 4 point lead and be subbed in Childress, that's when I looked at the folks I was with and said the game is over.

They extending the lead to 11 I want to say, and then we brought Chaundee right back in 45 seconds later. Just mind boggling stuff. There is nothing worse than watching our 2 PG's literally just hand the fucking ball to our opposition.

His substitution patterns remain puzzling. The comment about Sarr playing with 7 lineups in 9 minutes is telling.

I think losing 2 of your best 3 players is tough. Losing your starting C and PF, is very tough. The guards, Crawford, Woods, Wilbuken, Childress, and top 35 prospect Brown, could still make this a fun year. Though, save Woods, I think they've all been awful the first two games, and I don't think they are awful players. I don't think we shoot 2-16 from 3 again. It's quite an adjustment, and teams are overplaying on the perimeter because we don't have a threat down low, although Moore was a different player in game 2 than he was in game 1. I could stomach the loss to GaSo, best player from Winston Salem, 2 very very good guards, shot lights out, game 1. etc. Liberty was a bit tough, but they also shot lights out to win against a lot of contested shots.

If Sarr can develop, Hoard is everything he is supposed to be, TT develops, and it looks like neither Crawford or Brown are going anywhere "early", the 2018-2019 Deacs could be very good. I'm hoping that we see improvement throughout the year. Seeing Moore, Brown develop, Keyshawn build on his stellar game 1 offensively, Moore continue to develop, and some semblance of a competent offense will be important this year. I'd like to stop losing to the Liberty's of the world, but this wasn't entirely unexpected after losing the players we lost.

Ya, I would have thrown my remote through the proverbial TV had I been watching. Or in this case, a stuffed "animal" thingy my wife was given as a silly gift, which is supposed to be a large shrimp on a bed of rice. It is becoming rather metaphorical for this BB season. You're not really sure what it is, but it is useful for keeping your hand warm when you're not typing or changing the channel. Just like I don't really know what Danny is doing, but this team teaches me that my time has other uses as well. ;-)

Honestly, I like our kids and I want them to succeed, I really do. But I don't harbor any real hope that things will change all that much this season. Yeah, the team will improve slowly and probably even surprise us from time to time with a really nice game where they shoot lights out and don't turn the ball over. And I think Chaundee and even Sarr (eventually) might really get us excited for the future.

But after 3 years of watching DM make the same mistakes over and over, I have very low expectations for growth and development this season. If we had a better system in place that allowed our young players to contribute without having to do too much or feeling like they must prove themselves in their 3 mins of playing with Mitch & Chill while BC & Key rest, then maybe I'd feel differently.

In conclusion, I hope I am dead wrong.

Craw is really our only playmaker. Our other guards are either bad drivers (Mitch, Keyshawn) or just turn it over way, way too much (Chill). And it's pretty clear two games in Chaundee needs to work on his handle. Collins masked this issue a lot last year just by sucking in the defense so much and freeing up space for our guards on the perimeter, but it is very apparent this year without him.

I think losing 2 of your best 3 players is tough. Losing your starting C and PF, is very tough. The guards, Crawford, Woods, Wilbuken, Childress, and top 35 prospect Brown, could still make this a fun year. Though, save Woods, I think they've all been awful the first two games, and I don't think they are awful players. I don't think we shoot 2-16 from 3 again. It's quite an adjustment, and teams are overplaying on the perimeter because we don't have a threat down low, although Moore was a different player in game 2 than he was in game 1. I could stomach the loss to GaSo, best player from Winston Salem, 2 very very good guards, shot lights out, game 1. etc. Liberty was a bit tough, but they also shot lights out to win against a lot of contested shots.

If Sarr can develop, Hoard is everything he is supposed to be, TT develops, and it looks like neither Crawford or Brown are going anywhere "early", the 2018-2019 Deacs could be very good. I'm hoping that we see improvement throughout the year. Seeing Moore, Brown develop, Keyshawn build on his stellar game 1 offensively, Moore continue to develop, and some semblance of a competent offense will be important this year. I'd like to stop losing to the Liberty's of the world, but this wasn't entirely unexpected after losing the players we lost.

Agree with your sentiment but TT is gone after this season

I kind of think Manning is an evil genius.

Expectations too high? Let's just lose the first two games to reset them. In fact, let's look so bad that otherwise rational people will question if we can ever win another basketball game! That way, when we rattle off a turd of a season and finish around .500, at the end of the year people will think we overachieved!

Isn't this how he got hired by Wellman, by getting a mediocre Tulsa team with some experienced players to get hot down the stretch and get into the tourney? Fool's gold in them thar' hills?

Crawford still turning the ball over like he did his freshman year.

2/17 from 3 pt line at home against Liberty- AND THIS IS OUR TEAM'S STRENGTH!? :mad:

Back