• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Meltdown thread

There's no way to legitimately evaluate Sarr after a short stint upon coming back from an injury. He's played international ball at high levels. Those games mean much more than last night.

Agreed. I was just happy to see him at the scorer's table. It was a nice surprise.

He gets a pass for at least a few games. Just having him to spell Moore is good enough for now.

I fear that Chill carries the burden of wanting to be like his dad, which leads him to trying way too hard to doing way too much. I agree with you that he needs to slow down and make the easy pass, don't force shots and protect the ball.
He also might be trying to prove himself as the PG in waiting with all this talk of Bryant leaving.

It looks like 3 personnel factors kind of came together. We lost JC/Dinos early which creates a problem when the remaining big men are all projects. Doral is improving, but hasn't really gotten to the point where he's good enough like I thought, but I guess that isn't surprising since he could barely run as a frosh. The Harry Giles recruiting effort came up short and that class is a bit underwhelming. We really need a soph or two to step up and it hasn't happened. The problem could be coaching, but recruiting projects while losing your best players makes it hard to compete.

I know what he was trying to do, but he left out words.

He left out "and prayers." Never took you for a War on Christmas guy, ATS.

There's no way to legitimately evaluate Sarr after a short stint upon coming back from an injury. He's played international ball at high levels. Those games mean much more than last night.

Maybe so but early indications are "0", as in his stat line. I doubt he will be a contributor this year.

RJ, I think you could still play ball in France.

The only thing worse than micro analyzing a basketball team is micro analyzing a bad basketball team. We have three more months of this...

Manning suffers from what most NBA coaches that try to move to college ball do. I know he spent some time at Kansas but his foundation is NBA.

NBA teams want to get a wide open jumper and the job is done. The shooters are close to fantastic and the rebounders block out almost all of the time. In college ball you need to structure your game to go and get offensive boards. You can't depend on making enough jump shots.

The NBA coach does not have to coach passion and confidence. Those guys are doing their job and know what they are doing. College coaches need to teach foundational techniques but they also need to inspire confidence and passion to 18-22 year old kids who do not necessarily have it. Manning recruits better but otherwise he suffers from the same problems as BZ and Sidney Lowe.

We need a head coach that came up through the college ranks.

that's kind of what he said in the post-game. at least alluded to. something along the lines of "we get the open shot but sometimes they don't fall, we have to get the rebound."

He left out "and prayers." Never took you for a War on Christmas guy, ATS.

Haha... That wasn't what I was talking about. Most times you say "Our thoughts are with" or "Our thoughts continue to be with"... He just said "Our thoughts continue to the folks in the islands," followed by awkward silence and then Lepler calling Childress for traveling when it was Sarr setting a moving screen.

It was just so random and poorly executed... That's all. I actually like Stan Lewter... I think he knows what he is talking about, but he doesn't have the smoothest delivery. He screwed up a couple of other phrases later in the game, but I was too pissed by that point to laugh anymore.

Chill most definitely has the potential to be a savvy and skilled player for us who can hit the open three and occasionally break some ankles when the opportunity arises. In fact, I thought as he gained strength, he'd become a very good drive n' dish kinda guy, but right now he is most definitely forcing things and trying to do too much. Perhaps he has internalized too much of Danny's talk about how he's been so close to the program for so long, it's like he's been here an extra year, yadda yadda.

Just slow down Chill, let the game come to you and get your teammates involved. That's what they need, not unbelievable acrobatics under the rim on a doomed drive into the lane. If Danny insists on letting Craw play more off the ball and hone his game for the bigs, then you have got to be our cerebral floor general, an extension of the coaches, not a hero.

Spot on, I hope he reads this and acts accordingly

He also might be trying to prove himself as the PG in waiting with all this talk of Bryant leaving.

It looks like 3 personnel factors kind of came together. We lost JC/Dinos early which creates a problem when the remaining big men are all projects. Doral is improving, but hasn't really gotten to the point where he's good enough like I thought, but I guess that isn't surprising since he could barely run as a frosh. The Harry Giles recruiting effort came up short and that class is a bit underwhelming. We really need a soph or two to step up and it hasn't happened. The problem could be coaching, but recruiting projects while losing your best players makes it hard to compete.

Hard to compete with Duke and UNC? Yes. Hard to compete with GaSo and Liberty? Fuck no.

Chill most definitely has the potential to be a savvy and skilled player for us who can hit the open three and occasionally break some ankles when the opportunity arises. In fact, I thought as he gained strength, he'd become a very good drive n' dish kinda guy, but right now he is most definitely forcing things and trying to do too much. Perhaps he has internalized too much of Danny's talk about how he's been so close to the program for so long, it's like he's been here an extra year, yadda yadda.

Just slow down Chill, let the game come to you and get your teammates involved. That's what they need, not unbelievable acrobatics under the rim on a doomed drive into the lane. If Danny insists on letting Craw play more off the ball and hone his game for the bigs, then you have got to be our cerebral floor general, an extension of the coaches, not a hero.

Why would letting Crawford play off the ball help hone is game for the pros? He's not big enough nor a good enough shooter for the 2 guard, IMO.

Hard to compete with Duke and UNC? Yes. Hard to compete with GaSo and Liberty? Fuck no.
Not saying we should've lost but they don't completely suck. GaSo and Liberty have KP rankings of 83 and 145. We were worse when Bz was here (259, 211). The year we lost to Stetson, they finished KP at 300 out of 345. Winthrop was 221. UNC Wilmington 204. Lost to all 3, Stetson and UNCW by double digits.

Recruiting was still an issue. Wilbekin is spotty. DM hasn't panned out and Woods is more like a 6th man. It's obvious none of the sophs are starter worthy right now. There just isn't much to work with, especially at the 4 and 5. DM can't run the offense he obviously likes to run either. Doesn't coach D very well. Going forward recruiting is a bit of a different story but....I think we all thought one of the bigs would step up and look decent....DM coaching up the big man and all.

Not saying we should've lost but they don't completely suck. GaSo and Liberty have KP rankings of 83 and 145. We were worse when Bz was here (259, 211). The year we lost to Stetson, they finished KP at 300 out of 345. Winthrop was 221. UNC Wilmington 204. Lost to all 3, Stetson and UNCW by double digits.

Recruiting was still an issue. Wilbekin is spotty. DM hasn't panned out and Woods is more like a 6th man. It's obvious none of the sophs are starter worthy right now. There just isn't much to work with, especially at the 4 and 5. DM can't run the offense he obviously likes to run either. Doesn't coach D very well. Going forward recruiting is a bit of a different story but....I think we all thought one of the bigs would step up and look decent....DM coaching up the big man and all.

This year's sophomores was a very weak class, accentuated by SJM being a no show. We lost our top 2 bigs.........if there was not a great class coming in I would be a lot less patient. Very few have the luxury of Duke/Kentucky, able to almost start from scratch every year.

What concerns me the most is the lack of chemistry that I've seen in the first two games...

In BC's and JC's first season, I was impressed by how well the team played together. There was plenty of ball movement and finding open shooters. It was clear there was a chemistry amongst the players on the court. Then, CMM and Thomas came back and the chemistry was lost for the year.

This year there is no sign of a good team chemistry. We resort to a lot of one on one or one on many for a lot of our offense. When the bigs do roll for a seemingly open shot, they seldom get the ball. Passing, when it occurs, is a challenge.

The team has to learn to play together or it is going to be a very painful year.

Drake??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????Fuck me.

Horrific. Even if this one somehow turns back our way.

Back