• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Meltdown thread

lol you guys turned on Manning QUICK. We look like a play-in tourney team that lost the best player in college basketball. The heck did y'all expect?

Beating Georgia Southern and Liberty is just too high bar, agreed.

I agree with the Palm. That said, I ain't gonna bust my ass to watch many games this year. Punt till next year. Reminds me of the Tanner Price year(s). I can wait a year for exciting product. I suppose this will be the year for Chaundee to take ownership of the team in the post Craw era. That could be interesting to watch on occasion. As soon as he learns to use his body, he's a 15/8 guy.

My experience w/ Wake Forest Basketball so far this season: A play in 4 acts

Act I - November 1st: "I really hope our soft non-conference schedule won't come back to bite us on selection Sunday!"

Act II - November 3rd: "Well, a win is a win... I mean, it's only an exhibition and Queens University of Charlotte is ranked #2 in all of Division II!"

Act III - November 10th: "It's only one game... I mean, Georgia Southern returns a lot of talent and they'll probably win the Sun Belt Conference this year. Won't be such a bad loss when you look back at the end of the season. Probably motivates the team!"

Act IV - November 14th: "Liberty University? What in the fuckity fuck is Danny Manning doing? We aren't going to win a single game this season. Burn it all down to the ground! I hate my life."

All of that only took 2 weeks. Took 2 whole weeks to ruin the next 4-5 months of watching college basketball.

This play gets my rave reviews

On the positive it beats one of the seasons where we get sucked into thinking we're pretty good only to find out in February and March we're not.

Strong disagree here. I'd rather have hope and a reason to watch games in February and March.

If this keeps up, Craw won't have many options in the pros for next year. The team control issue may plague Wake all season.

There is no obvious replacement for either Collins or Arians on this team. Thus no overarching offensive philosophy like last years "get the ball to Collins" basic plan.

Strong disagree here. I'd rather have hope and a reason to watch games in February and March.

I don't know, I think it hurts worse to have high hopes late into the season only to be crushed. Of course, I guess to get to the high hope point there are good wins a long the way to enjoy.

Chaundee and Doral are what we've got. And Thompson for Dinos. It is what it is.

Chaundee and Doral are what we've got. And Thompson for Dinos. It is what it is.

Yeah but we know Key and Craw can ball too, we've got enough that we should be better than losing to Ga. Southern and getting beaten soundly by Liberty.

Did anybody else get a Rick Pitino / Boston Celtics vibe from this?

"John Collins and Dinos Mitoglou aren't going to come walking through that door!"

I mean, I understood his point and how it was only really about rebounding, but it still took me back to the iconic Pitino/Celtic press conference where you knew he was very frustrated and things were about to get worse (not better).

Gut tells me we have no leadership on this team. I think Key will have to take ownership of the team, Crawford just doesnt seem like that kind of guy.

Cant wait to see us get completely worked by Grayson Allen.

Gut tells me we have no leadership on this team. I think Key will have to take ownership of the team, Crawford just doesnt seem like that kind of guy.

Woods took ownership last year. He is a team leader. He, and the other players, just aren't playing particularly well. A good portion of that is the fact they are not well coached.

The staff, as currently put together, appears to be more a group of recruiters than coaches. And they aren't good enough recruiters to put together a team that can roll the ball out and win games.

Did anybody else get a Rick Pitino / Boston Celtics vibe from this?

"John Collins and Dinos Mitoglou aren't going to come walking through that door!"

I mean, I understood his point and how it was only really about rebounding, but it still took me back to the iconic Pitino/Celtic press conference where you knew he was very frustrated and things were about to get worse (not better).

We've got 7 scholly players on this team 6-7 (3 6-11 or taller) or taller and we can't rebound?

Eh, that's pretty fair given my posting history. I do think we made the tourney ahead of schedule last year based on what Manning was handed.

Can we stop pretending that we "made the tournament" last year? The play-in game pre-2011 was never considering making the tournament, and the "first four" isn't considered making the tournament by anyone but some really hopeful Wake fans who are hungry to ascribe some sliver of success to Manning after the [Redacted] years. We were 9-9 and 10th in conference. There was nothing special about our season last year except that is was better than the absurdly horrible 6 seasons that preceded it.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-b...tory-usc-wake-forest-kansas-state-2017-031417
The NCAA tournament is one of the greatest events in sports, which makes it all the more disappointing and peculiar that it’s preceded by one of the worst.

On Tuesday and Wednesday night in Dayton, eight college basketball teams that ostensibly made it into the NCAA tournament field will play for the right to actually make the NCAA tournament field. It’s part of a sports travesty called the First Four, a made-for-TV set of four play-in games that exist solely to give the NCAA two additional nights of faux tournament action. Those eight hours of basketball come at the expense of the four losing teams, who miss out on the real tournament experience – one of the great egalitarian meritocracies in sports.

Back