• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Meltdown thread

I'll play coach. Biggest problem yet again is lack of continued intensity. You can see it in body language and lack of any talking/encouragement/huddling on court. With such an experienced guard-led team this should simply not happen. I blame Manning first for not demanding and engendering that intensity. Wish rat face to hell but nobody is better at demanding this. Next, Crawford, since he is the PG and supposed NBA player. He rarely shows on-court leadership. Next Woods, since he is essentially a senior. Lastly, I blame Manning (again) for once again putting out shitty ensembles of players. Playing 4 guards under 6'3" wherein at least 2 are subpart defenders and none particularly good rebounders is just dumb. Constantly adjusting to the other team (rather than making them adjust to us) is just dumb when one has more talent. Lastly, players need some consistency with each other to show cohesion on defense. See stat someone posted about Sarr playing his first minutes with 7 mixes of players. Ever thought about making sure a new frosh plays 1st few minutes with mostly starters?

It shouldn't be hard:

Only 2 of our 4 guards ever out there together in normal times. We are getting torched from 3. Part of this is shitty close outs, but not that hard to shoot over short guards even when they close out reasonably. Crawford and Woods get majority of minutes. Childress subs in for Woods or Crawford when need rest/foul issues. Never play Childress and MW together as too short and latter too slow. MW probably only plays when Crawford on floor. When MW plays with Woods alone we have no dribble penetration threat and can't run and both can't move feet on D.

We must have center and PF in game at all times. Figure out who can play with who and always have 2 in game. Moore/Sarr/Thompson/Okeke/SJM/Mitchell. Manning can bitch about rebounding but must have someone in game who can actually do it. Their job is to play defense and rebound.

Chaundee needs to play all he can. Rest him strategically to try and keep fresh. Figure out how to get him touches inside 3 point line and take advantage of mismatches he might have (bigger vs smaller defender). Encourage him to take it inside, draw contact and shoot FTs. Need to probably play either Melo or Mitchell at SF when rests. Don't ask either of them to do anything but play defense, rebound, and not turn ball over. Make sure you have Crawford/Woods in game when Brown out to ensure ongoing scoring threat. When Crawford/Woods out, we either play through Doral in post or Chaundee.

What's not to understand that if an ACC has to shoot 45.8% from 3, just to stay in the game against a Sunbelt team, that team has so many problems that 3 point shooting isn't even worth mentioning at this point. Unless some other things change a lot, 3 point shooting isn't going to keep us in games against even a decent level of major conference competition.

But it's the strength of our team. That's the only point.

Analytics versus eye-ball test: KenPom has Wake at #69 this morning. Who ya gonna believe?

But it's the strength of our team. That's the only point.

All I'm saying is that if your "strength" is the only keeping you in the game against a team like Georgia Southern, then I'm not sure it's worth mentioning, but I guess every team has to have a strength when compared to it's other attributes.

Analytics versus eye-ball test: KenPom has Wake at #69 this morning. Who ya gonna believe?

69????? Well we did get by the #2 DII team. I'm not sure a 1 in front of 69, still wouldn't be too high.

All I'm saying is that if your "strength" is the only keeping you in the game against a team like Georgia Southern, then I'm not sure it's worth mentioning, but I guess every team has to have a strength when compared to it's other attributes.

Of course it's worth mentioning. You have to build off of it. To say it's not a strength based on one bad game is the epitome of a knee jerk reaction.

Of course it's worth mentioning. You have to build off of it. To say it's not a strength based on one bad game is the epitome of a knee jerk reaction.

It ain't enough of a strength to overcome how pathetic we are at the other facets of the game. Right now a good 3 point shooting night is the difference between losing to Duke by 30 instead of 40 or 50.

This team has about one way to win games. Odom ball. Games in the sixties. Not a future pro in sight. You have to have at least two to go upper echelon in the ACC and probably three for a tourney run. We are going to have to rest Doral in a zone defense, burn clock, and pray. The four guard experiment has to go. If we are going to lose play traditional 1 through 5 height wise and let the youngsters take their lumps.

Don't you have to be able to know how to play defense, or implement one? Oh yeah, that's right, Danny just tells them to "guard your damn man" and magically stay in front of him. Easy peasey.

This is a MORONIC post. Last year we shot 38.7% on threes as a team. This was good enough for third in the ACC and returned three of our Top 4 shooters and added a prized freshman.

In our first game, we shot 45.8% on threes.

There are many problems we have, but three point shooting isn't one of them. We had a bad game, that happens.

This is a typical dumb, knee jerk statement.

RJ it's not always what you say it's how you say it. Geez.

Don't you have to be able to know how to play defense, or implement one? Oh yeah, that's right, Danny just tells them to "guard your damn man" and magically stay in front of him. Easy peasey.

Yeah, you have to know how to play defense and if you're going to play a slow pace, you have to also have a semblance of a half-court offense. Danny hasn't shown the ability to field either.

Before the season, I said we had to play Bryant, Key and Chaundee for 90-96 mpg and Brandon for almost all the rest other than when we are protecting a lead at the end of the game. At no time (barring injury or fouls) should Key and Wilbekin be on the court together. Key is an elite shooter and can get his shots. So, his defensive mediocrity can be accepted.

I disagree big time with Danny about ever playing the four returning guards together other than the above exceptions.

What's ironic is that SATs' man crush on Austin has a lot of basis in things that never showed up on Austin's stat line. He was not a good defender, but he threw his body around. He didn't get a lot of rebounds, but got his hands on caroms that we ended up getting. Austin was also good at Danny's set that got Bryant or Key defensive rebounds to start breaks. The confidence (or lack of conscience) Austin had about his own shooting does impact others. If you see a teammate being confident, you are less hesitant to take your shot.

It's a given that Chaundee is much better, but most good teams have a guy like Austin and we don't.

My experience w/ Wake Forest Basketball so far this season: A play in 4 acts

Act I - November 1st: "I really hope our soft non-conference schedule won't come back to bite us on selection Sunday!"

Act II - November 3rd: "Well, a win is a win... I mean, it's only an exhibition and Queens University of Charlotte is ranked #2 in all of Division II!"

Act III - November 10th: "It's only one game... I mean, Georgia Southern returns a lot of talent and they'll probably win the Sun Belt Conference this year. Won't be such a bad loss when you look back at the end of the season. Probably motivates the team!"

Act IV - November 14th: "Liberty University? What in the fuckity fuck is Danny Manning doing? We aren't going to win a single game this season. Burn it all down to the ground! I hate my life."

All of that only took 2 weeks. Took 2 whole weeks to ruin the next 4-5 months of watching college basketball.

Hahaha great post to summarize the roller coaster of emotions. But the Queens game was Negan's bat being drawn back to hit us in the head. GSU was the first blow, but no one saw Glenn getting whacked next playing against mighty Liberty. What in the fuckity fuck indeed!!?

Last edited:
Not sure who SATs' is, but if you were referring to me, I liked Austin Arians because he played hard and hit "big shots" for us when we seemed to need them most. I realize none of that is quantifiable, but I think he was an important player for us last year. He also "played within himself" and didn't seem to force a lot beyond what he did well.

I 100% agree that Chaundee is way better in pretty much all aspects of playing the game of basketball.

I also agree with you that we need to shorten our bench, though that probably isn't going to happen this weekend w/ 3 games in 3 days. BC/Key/Brown for ~30mpg... Chill to spell BC (if he can get his head out of his ass), Thompson at the 4, Moore/Sarr at the 5. That still leaves plenty of minutes for other guys to come into the game and try to make an impact.

Manning suffers from what most NBA coaches that try to move to college ball do. I know he spent some time at Kansas but his foundation is NBA.

NBA teams want to get a wide open jumper and the job is done. The shooters are close to fantastic and the rebounders block out almost all of the time. In college ball you need to structure your game to go and get offensive boards. You can't depend on making enough jump shots.

The NBA coach does not have to coach passion and confidence. Those guys are doing their job and know what they are doing. College coaches need to teach foundational techniques but they also need to inspire confidence and passion to 18-22 year old kids who do not necessarily have it. Manning recruits better but otherwise he suffers from the same problems as BZ and Sidney Lowe.

We need a head coach that came up through the college ranks.

He did come up through the college ranks. We can't just invalidate any successful player from being a college coach.

I do agree with your central points. I'll add that NBA teams are so terrified of the offensive skill and athleticism of the opposing team that it's generally more important for guards to get back on D than crash the offensive boards.

The shot clock is a factor too. The NBA guarantees a lot of possessions. 48 min game with a 24 sec shot clock is a baseline of 60 possessions per team. College ball is 40. Each possession is extremely valuable. Hit the boards to make them count.

As a fan of both Wake and the Timberwolves (yes, I am probably a clinical masochist), one depressing contemporary common denominator is terrible defense game after game accompanied by the coach stressing guarding better/harder rather than acknowledging that their defensive concepts are either ill-fitting or inadequate for the task at hand.

It's fair to say that Wake will never be a top 10 defense, but it's absurd that they can't guard Liberty or whomever. Effort is important, but if you have a shitty plan and the team executes it well (not saying this is necessarily happening, granted) you still get a shitty outcome. Here's a question for the Wake coaches: What do the mid-major teams with small guards that still are able to play decent defense have in common? I'd argue that having Crawford, C. Brown and legit size at the five we should be better positioned than any of them as none of those players are undersized.

Last edited:
guys, we now have zero pressure on the season, we can tinker and do whatever with no expectations while DM continues the #reloading process. we were preseason picked for 11th in the conference, right? WGAF. let's try all-big lines and all-walkons and games where we only shoot 3s. sky's the limit, fellas

Back