• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Meltdown thread

He did come up through the college ranks. We can't just invalidate any successful player from being a college coach.

I do agree with your central points. I'll add that NBA teams are so terrified of the offensive skill and athleticism of the opposing team that it's generally more important for guards to get back on D than crash the offensive boards.

The shot clock is a factor too. The NBA guarantees a lot of possessions. 48 min game with a 24 sec shot clock is a baseline of 60 possessions per team. College ball is 40. Each possession is extremely valuable. Hit the boards to make them count.

Obviously not, but sometimes I wonder if a successful player might have a harder time trying to teach and coach lesser talent. Manning had extreme talent as a player, but does that dispose him to not understanding how much coaching/teaching less talented players need? I'm not saying Danny didn't work his ass off coming up as a player, but I would imagine a lot of it came naturally to him. I don't know, I wish like all get out that Danny is successful here. We couldn't have a much better face of the program if he does succeed long term, but I'm just not seeing growth as a coach and I'm afraid the progress of John Collins may not have been as much from Danny's coaching as we thought.

guys, we now have zero pressure on the season, we can tinker and do whatever with no expectations while DM continues the #reloading process. we were preseason picked for 11th in the conference, right? WGAF. let's try all-big lines and all-walkons and games where we only shoot 3s. sky's the limit, fellas

I think we need to run the picket fence at them.

26701962.jpg

guys, we now have zero pressure on the season, we can tinker and do whatever with no expectations while DM continues the #reloading process. we were preseason picked for 11th in the conference, right? WGAF. let's try all-big lines and all-walkons and games where we only shoot 3s. sky's the limit, fellas

How many years we gotta tinker before we figure this thing out?

Considering how terrible the Watch ESPN feeds have been the last two games, there's a silver lining in not needing to pay attention to our basketball team this season.

Do you guys really think Danny got us to #69 on kenpom by accident?????

MODS: PLEASE BAN ALL ILLINOIS POSTERS AND DO NOT APPROVE ANY MORE.

After the shit some of our posters have talked to those idiots, we could be in for a lot of dumb come next week.

Also, Mark 'Da God'.

Considering how terrible the Watch ESPN feeds have been the last two games, there's a silver lining in not needing to pay attention to our basketball team this season.

Yeah, last night it was like the crew was talking through a CB and it looked like half the lights were out in the Joel.

You shut your damn mouth. I will not stand for anyone disparaging Stan Lewter (or Evan Lepler) like this.

I do enjoy how the screwed up audio from WatchESPN makes it sound like they are robots at times.

There is also a strong chance that Ayo will base his future college choice on the outcome of that game. Don't let us down, deacs!

Also now one can't help but wonder if JC was just a great talent that was going to develop no matter who was coach as it is clear so far that not the improvement you would expect with DM, SJM or any others when going against undersized and lower level talents in the paint.

Shhhhhh, keep that on the DL!!

Oh, and Collins, despite foul trouble, should have played much, much more his frosh year. Again, had DM ever met a zone, then he could have helped protect the foul-prone stud-to-be.

My favorite Stan Lewter moment last night was when they were talking about why Liberty was playing Wake Forest before the Paradise Jam (to charter a plane together), and Stan says (verbatim):

"Our thoughts continue to the folks in the islands."

I'm sorry, what?

reading this thread I definitely think Wake Fans relate to Puerto Ricans more easily re: disasters

Lastly, I blame Manning (again) for once again putting out shitty ensembles of players. Playing 4 guards under 6'3" wherein at least 2 are subpart defenders and none particularly good rebounders is just dumb.

Hahahahahaha love this....shitty ensembles. If I were starting a band, this is the name I'd choose!

Not sure who SATs' is, but if you were referring to me, I liked Austin Arians because he played hard and hit "big shots" for us when we seemed to need them most. I realize none of that is quantifiable, but I think he was an important player for us last year. He also "played within himself" and didn't seem to force a lot beyond what he did well.

I 100% agree that Chaundee is way better in pretty much all aspects of playing the game of basketball.

I also agree with you that we need to shorten our bench, though that probably isn't going to happen this weekend w/ 3 games in 3 days. BC/Key/Brown for ~30mpg... Chill to spell BC (if he can get his head out of his ass), Thompson at the 4, Moore/Sarr at the 5. That still leaves plenty of minutes for other guys to come into the game and try to make an impact.

If I was referring to you...come on...

Back