• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Admin to Reverse Ban on Elephant Trophies from Africa

Hopefully Donnie Jr won't be able to murder elephants when he fs up his spine doing deadlifts with this form:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbVksLAjZZK/?taken-by=donaldjtrumpjr

While I'm composing, I'll thank Ranger for his links. I get the pragmatism of that position, but it boils down to two wrongs to make a right, for me.

9376c6b9f698eca5050af24a94794fd3--elephant-ears-animal-masks.jpg

not a fan of elephant hunting but I have to agree with Ranger on this, controlled hunting can be very good for conservation and species preservation

in fact, controlled hunting is basically what the lions do

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-data-says-otherwise/?utm_term=.a7568baade89

If the logic of killing elephants to save them strikes you as questionable, you're not alone.

As of 2014 the African elephant population stood at an estimated 374,000, according to the Global Elephant Census, a massive and costly effort to measure the continent's remaining savanna elephant population. That's down from an eIt's theoretically possible, of course, that population declines would be even worse without the legally sanctioned killings of hundreds of elephants a year. But there are also a number of very good reasons to suspect that trophy hunting does not bring any great benefit to Africa's elephant populations.

For starters, the hunting of elephants brings in very little revenue. A 2017 report by Economists at Large, an economic analysis firm based in Australia, found that in eight African countries, trophy hunting amounted to less than 1 percent of total tourism revenue and 0.03 percent of the countries' total gross national product. A 2015 National Geographic report found that only minimal amounts of revenue from game hunting actually trickled down to the communities managing elephant populations. Government corruption is a big factor in this, with authorities keeping hunting fees for themselves and seizing wildlife lands to profit from hunting and poaching.

Zimbabwe, in particular, has been rife with bad wildlife management practices, which is why the Obama administration banned elephant trophy imports from the country in the first place estimated 10 million elephants at the turn of the 20th century, and from 600,000 of the animals as recently as 1989.

not a fan of elephant hunting but I have to agree with Ranger on this, controlled hunting can be very good for conservation and species preservation

in fact, controlled hunting is basically what the lions do

Sure. But when Mufasa explained the circle of life to Simba, he didn't include rich American dudes.

It's not clear this elephant hunting is controlled hunting. I hope that's what Trump is going back to research. Any decision needs to be made in conjunction with the governments of African countries and organizations managing wildlife reserves and dealing with poachers. Otherwise we may just be enabling the black market and terrorist operations.

Back