• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Holiday Family Hot Takes Thread

My mom has a “no talk about politics rule”. It’s weird that my folks who only watch Fox, read Breitbart, etc. would want to not talk about politics when there are liberals around. Seems like they would value different points of view, strange.

My mom has a “no talk about politics rule”. It’s weird that my folks who only watch Fox, read Breitbart, etc. would want to not talk about politics when there are liberals around. Seems like they would value different points of view, strange.

why would they want your fake news-fueled takes? they know the truth.

I'm going to Nepal for Thanksgiving and Vegas for Christmas. Seems easier that way.

Headed to central Alabama to my brother's place on Lake Wedowee. It's right near Gadsden AL. I'm really looking forward to getting a first hand look a the Roy Moore situation. I'll report back with any insight of interest.

Had a faux Thanksgiving last week with my parents since we couldn't travel for the actual holiday. While there my mom said that the first thing that she sees when she sees my Korean fiancee is the color of her skin and that our hypothetical children would only be beautiful because they were half Asian and said all of this in a really creepy way. I told her not to say that and then she asked (whitesplained) why my fiancee couldn't just be proud of her skin and that she thinks all skin tones are beautiful...So I already got an early start on the holidays this year. Needless to say we won't be going back for the rest of the year.

Visited folks in OCT for fake thanksgiving. Thinking about volunteering at the shelter this year on thanksgiving. Rubbins!

Had a faux Thanksgiving last week with my parents since we couldn't travel for the actual holiday. While there my mom said that the first thing that she sees when she sees my Korean fiancee is the color of her skin and that our hypothetical children would only be beautiful because they were half Asian and said all of this in a really creepy way. I told her not to say that and then she asked (whitesplained) why my fiancee couldn't just be proud of her skin and that she thinks all skin tones are beautiful...So I already got an early start on the holidays this year. Needless to say we won't be going back for the rest of the year.

Pics ?

My side of the family is relatively liberal. My aunt's side of the family that we share Thanksgiving with is super conservative. With the election of Trump last year, my aunt instituted a political discourse jar in the middle of the table. Any political talk automatically enacts a five dollar fine. It was pretty effective last year in snubbing out all the bullshit.

So your conservative aunt instituted a tax on a behavior that was effective in curbing that behavior.

Good point - does your aunt just keep the money or will it be used for something that folks might be willing to drop some Lincolns on (like more alcohol for the weekend, etc)

If there are any singles who need a plus one for Thanksgiving, here you go.

23795257_10214880696113522_2695240915677052864_n.jpg

Back