• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Holiday Family Hot Takes Thread

harmoniousmonk

Reaction score
It's the most wonderful time of the year!

I debated putting this on the politics board but thought here it might be a little lighter.

Not doing TG with my folks this year, but my sister will be there to relay any scorchers.

I have 3 Thanksgiving. First one will be a real chill, non religious, mimosa drinking good time. Second one will be a deranged southern baptist convention with many T's, many P's and a whole lot of hottakes.

The last one will be more of a "traditional" family gathering. Everyone kind of believes their own things, no one supports Trump, we'll watch Football and probably have some good music played by the cousins and uncles...Over all good time.

Blended families...Good times...not

We're doing Thanksgiving with Wife's extended family this year. All her aunts and uncles are very liberal, but grandparents, very sweet people, God bless them, are hardcore Fox News people. So that'll be interesting.

Not holiday or family, but in the spirit of the thread - was at a wedding last month in rural VA for some friends who are from the northeast and have (mostly as it turns out) liberal family. After the ceremony we were making our way over to the reception which didn't have assigned seating, so we picked a table with what we figured were extended family. Started with the small talk and told them we live in Charlottesville and the conversation turned to the events of the summer and an old (somebody's aunt I think) lady said "oh it was terrible what happened especially since it was clearly an accident that girl was killed"

We promptly moved tables

My in-laws aren't coming down this year, so the only blazing hot takes I'll hear are from my dad, explaining why Danny's doing a great job.

My wife's in laws tend to be more liberal. I usually just try to remain silent but every once in a while, I'll say something like too bad there's not another Jessie Helms in the senate and then listen to them mutter for bit. Then I bring up the U*NC class issue. After that, I tend to be left alone.

My mom banned political conversations during holidays a couple years back. Probably for the best.

I tried to bait my mom into a tax reform debate last week by complaining that the Senate tax plan might increase my taxes based on the amount of state and local taxes I pay. Couldn't get a response.

Had dinner with very conservative uncles and their wives, big Air Force families, last week for one of the uncles birthday. The other uncle bought him a Donald Trump 1$ coin. One of their daughters, freshman in college, liberal, stated she thought Trump was scum. It got very quiet. Then both uncles said that she only thought that because she was going to College which is very liberal, and her opinions will change as she gets older. I started laughing.

We’re going to have two first time pregnant ladies at Thanksgiving, along with our seven month old, so I’m sure the parenting advice will be flying. That could make for some interesting interactions.

My side of the family is relatively liberal. My aunt's side of the family that we share Thanksgiving with is super conservative. With the election of Trump last year, my aunt instituted a political discourse jar in the middle of the table. Any political talk automatically enacts a five dollar fine. It was pretty effective last year in snubbing out all the bullshit.

I would drop a $100 in the middle of the jar to start and open dinner with a "so what's the Douchebag In Chief done recently?".

My mom's SO constantly posts insane, hyper-liberal psuedo news on FB. My wife's grandfather constantly posts about HRC and Obama, even though neither is currently in office. He also likes to post about immigrants and is classic "born in the 30s" racist.

They're both coming to Thanksgiving dinner at our house. Should be fun.

Back