• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Holiday Family Hot Takes Thread

just pivot the convo to things all members of the political spectrum can discourse on:

like how democracies fail due to a decrease in tolerance, civic-trust, and respect

or how social trust, treating people with dignity and respect, believing people act in good faith are democratic norms that are worth preserving

or how sexual assault is a bad thing and people who do it are bad

or how John Prine is an under appreciated folk legend

or how the iPhone X costs $1000 dollars and that's a bit much

or how black friday deals seem to get worse and worse every year

talk capitalism while you dine on your butterball

failing all that

at least explicitly identify conspiracy theories if they are introduced

do your part

I find discussing actual politics to be fascinating and informative. What passes for politics these days hedges on basic human decency. Those are the "debates" that I have no patience for. Whether Lavar Ball should thank Donald Trump, homosexuals should be allowed to get married, or what constitutes sexual assault are not topics that I find the opposing views to be particularly enlightening or interesting.

Last edited:
I find discussing actual politics to be fascinating and informative. What passes for politics these days hedges on basic human decency. Those are the "debates" that I have no patience for.

Right.

Discussing different opinions regarding tax plans and long term economic legislation is politics. Discussing whether or not folks with a certain sexual orientation should have the same rights as folks with another sexual orientation, or whether or not a pedophile should be allowed to run for Senate in the United States of America is just asinine bullshit. Unfortunately at some point the latter became grouped in with politics.

I have an uncle that goes to a super conservative Southern Baptist church in which the pastor preached that his solution for homosexuality would be to put them all in a cage because then they won't breed and they'll die.

Anyway, several years ago his oldest daughter came out as a lesbian as she got married and was crucified on Facebook by people she went to church with as well as her step-mom. I haven't seen or heard from her or him since.

But this year, he's going to the big family Thanksgiving (~50 people). I wish I could make it this year just to ask him how his daughter is doing.

My family is p boring. We all have pretty much the same political views and we all like pretty much the same teams so we can't even argue about sports. The only exception is my dumbass sister in law who is a complete idiot. She is...wait for it....a conservative. She usually fakes a headache and stays home so we can't even argue with her. I would welcome a good thanksgiving day argument!

Last edited:
I can't wait to engage my gun-toting, never-lived-outside of rural NC, Cowboy bandwagon BIL in discourse this Thursday.

In a recent discussion, he argued that Boy Scouts should not allow 'the gays'. I eagerly await his reaction when he finds out that girls are allowed now!

Lots of folks look forward to Black Friday sales. I look forward to reading this thread.

I’m going to my aunts farm in meddicino county. She is a budist; libertarian, farmer/ marijuana cultivator. We cook the whole dinner in a wood stove in her barn, eating only food she grew on property, and she trades goods with the local turkey farmers for the birds. It is soooo dope.

Limited hot takes though, besides my Aunt saying you can’t really think properly as a person unless you have tried LSD or something along those lines. My cousins also micro dose LSD which they swear by. sounds cool I’d like to try that.

I’m going to my aunts farm in meddicino county. She is a budist; libertarian, farmer/ marijuana cultivator. We cook the whole dinner in a wood stove in her barn, eating only food she grew on property, and she trades goods with the local turkey farmers for the birds. It is soooo dope.

Limited hot takes though, besides my Aunt saying you can’t really think properly as a person unless you have tried LSD or something along those lines. My cousins also micro dose LSD which they swear by. sounds cool I’d like to try that.

Bro...I wanna go

Is a "budist" a practitioner of some kind of marijuana religion? Or supposed to be "Buddhist"? Impossible to tell in the context of this post.

I'll be at my farm in mendo. happy trimsgiving!

Is a "budist" a practitioner of some kind of marijuana religion? Or supposed to be "Buddhist"? Impossible to tell in the context of this post.

Lol it’s the combo, idk man. One of the pillars of Buddhism is that you remain sober and clear of thought, that one never seems to apply though.

First time in a long time that my whole family (both parents, 3 siblings, 2 spouses and 4 grandkids) will all be together. One sibling is finally divorced from her abusive, deadbeat, pompous douche of an ex-husband. So we should have a good time. We’ll take lots of photos of the fun times so that when my neice is with her dad, he can see how much fun we actually had without his sorry ass as an anchor.

First time in a long time that my whole family (both parents, 3 siblings, 2 spouses and 4 grandkids) will all be together. One sibling is finally divorced from her abusive, deadbeat, pompous douche of an ex-husband. So we should have a good time. We’ll take lots of photos of the fun times so that when my neice is with her dad, he can see how much fun we actually had without his sorry ass as an anchor.

I believe you just crossed him over and dared him to get back up.

I went off on my parents last night for watching Dancing With the Stars, contending that the three finalists aren't actual "stars." I guess Frankie Muniz can be considered a star since he was the title character in a sitcom eleven years ago, so I was okay with that. But the other two were a YouTube lady who apparently plays violin and dances around and a guy who played a very secondary role in Hamilton on Broadway. These people are not stars. Nobody knows their names.

Back