• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ancestry.com/23andme3.com Thread

My cousin did 23 and me and we have 0% Native American in the family. We have a great great grand father named LaMaire from Minn who was supposedly 1/2 native, but either he wasn't or my great great grandmother was stepping out while he worked as a sailor on ships in the Great Lakes.

NA blood can disappear after something like 5-6 generations. You can do a breakdown by chromosome on gedmatch and see if you get any NA hits over 4-5% on your individual chromosomes. We always thought that such and such a relative was half NA, but can't find any trace of that. His supposed full blood NA mother would be 6 gens away from me. But now looking at it, looking at how nobody really knew him and how he was just kind of a rambler, I tend to think that much of it was just a speculative mythology that surrounded him. He basically knocked up my great great great grandmother and disappeared to marry his 3rd wife, so his daughter never knew him and neither did his grandkids. That leaves only one source of information in the family, and I don't think she knew much about him beyond what he wanted her to know. I have had one hit on that line in the DNA test, but my e-mail inquiries have gone unanswered. That family has some great stories in it, and also includes one of 3 relatives that I know for sure were killed by Indians.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...fying-but-not-for-the-reasons-the-fda-thinks/

"But as the FDA frets about the accuracy of 23andMe’s tests, it is missing their true function, and consequently the agency has no clue about the real dangers they pose. The Personal Genome Service isn’t primarily intended to be a medical device. It is a mechanism meant to be a front end for a massive information-gathering operation against an unwitting public."

My mom bought the prime half-off 23&me test for me. I don't know anything about my birth father's family besides them being white, so i'm looking forward to finding out what type of mutt I am.

I bought 5 Ancestry.coms yesterday for $59 each. Gonna be a lot of spit flying around.

Aside from ancestry, do any of these look more at health risks, etc.?

So in a surprise turn of events, I've added "deep ancestral research" to the catalogue of EatLeadCommie's notable interests, right alongside "penetrating some dirty slizz with the business end of a cue stick in the shitter of the local pool hall as his reward for beating her at 8-ball." A true Renaissance man, that ELC.

my wife and I did the 23andme this year. i don't know the accuracy percentage, but it was different that what i was told as a child. i expected 50-75% irish and the rest german and maybe a little welsh. it turns out that i have no german, despite my mother's side supposed to be 1/2 german. i have 0% german. so it is interesting.

i ended up being 85% irish/UK and they say they can link me (Y chromosome) to King Niall of the Nine Hostages. having said that, Niall was quite prolific and a great % (21.5%) of northern Irishmen have that Y chromosome: "Modern surnames tracing their ancestry to Niall include (O')Neill, (O')Gallagher, (O')Boyle, (O')Doherty, O'Donnell, Connor, Cannon, Bradley, O'Reilly, Flynn, (Mc)Kee, Campbell, Devlin, Donnelly, Egan, Gormley, Hynes, McCaul, McGovern, McLoughlin, McManus, McMenamin, Molloy, O'Kane, O'Rourke and Quinn." it is interesting because my grandfather was adopted, so we didn't have a lot of information on him. We believe his original last name was Cannon (took the adopted last name as a child), which did match the data.

again, do not think these are 100% accurate. just fun.

I did 23&Me because my dad was so racist I assumed it had to be rooted in some self hatred. I was wrong. Literally the results were almost exactly what my father always said and I'm a veritable mix of strains of vanilla. My mom's came back 98% Eastern European and 2% broadly European.

I recently did the ancestry.com test. My mom was adopted and didn't share with us until I was 18 - she passed away when I was only 24 and never found out anything about her birth parents. I've found her half-brother, though he's not interested in communicating, which is fine. It's been pretty cool to explore. Another family connection has told me to do 23andme.com, too, which I'm considering. I've also just uploaded my info to GEDMatch.

I recently did the ancestry.com test. My mom was adopted and didn't share with us until I was 18 - she passed away when I was only 24 and never found out anything about her birth parents. I've found her half-brother, though he's not interested in communicating, which is fine. It's been pretty cool to explore. Another family connection has told me to do 23andme.com, too, which I'm considering. I've also just uploaded my info to GEDMatch.

If you don't mind sharing, what kind of information did you learn about your ancestry - similar stuff to what others have posted? How did you find the half-brother?

My father was adopted, and I know literally nothing about his biological ancestry (aside from him visibly being a white guy). I'm interested in these tests because I just don't know anything.

Back