• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ancestry.com/23andme3.com Thread

Wow! Does that mean she sees the connection, too? Do you have to give permission for links like that to be revealed? Also, is it all one big database? That is, if someone did it through Ancestry and someone else through 23andme, would you still see the link? So many questions...

You're the third person I know who has had some pretty big piece of info revealed through a DNA thing like this.

I'm pretty sure that the two data basis do not interact. It would be so much better if they did.

For us, it was a link to her cousin who had done the Ancestry DNA test through Ancestry. It was a bit weird when we were first contacted from "the other side": "Hey, we share common ancestry. How do you fit into the family?". After that and seeing their family tree, I did make contact with donor to both let her know that this is now out there and to prepare her for it and also, answer any question that she may have. I did hear back from her and I'm sure that this was something very shocking. Every few weeks or so, I get an email from Ancestry that "You and a DNA Match have the same ancestor in your trees. Follow the family lines that connect you." and it lists the persons name and what the relationship is, such as "5TH COUSIN 1X REMOVED DNA MATCH"

ELC, are you familiar with GEDMatch? You can upload your raw DNA data there and it connects you with others who have done the same - for example, you find connections who took other tests such as FamilyTreeDNA, Heritage, etc...

Yes, I'm on GEDmatch as well. Similar results there too, but their regional areas are hardly clarified at all from what I can tell.

Got an email today that results are still 2 - 4 weeks away. Can't stand the suspense. Need to confirm my royal blood so I can challenge for the throne of Wakanda.

I am so white. Slight percentage of N. African/Middle Eastern and a little more Balkan/Sardinian so maybe a little fun stuff. I feel like I posted that before so sorry if that’s a repeat for you all into my background.

^^I'm whiter than you !

Ireland/Scotland/Wales 32%
Great Britain 28%
Europe East (Ukrainian Grandmother) 24%
Scandanavia 6%
Europe South 7%
Europe West 3%
All American 100%

My friends Lab mix is 20% Pit Bull/Chow Chow.

My wife is 86% Great Britian/Ireland/Scotland/Wales/Scandanavia.

This is how I imagine Biff waiting for his DNA results.

I went to Highschool with the actor, never pegged him for a stand up comic / actor guy. He's been on the Amy Schumer show a couple times.

Hey all you people out here that have or are going to do 23andme. everyone should read this, especially all the ladies in the house!

https://mediacenter.23andme.com/pre...ion-direct-consumer-genetic-test-cancer-risk/

"Authorization allows 23andMe to report on BRCA1- and BRCA2-related genetic risk for breast, ovarian and prostate cancer"

not from this article, but important information for your edification:

1. Breast cancer: About 12% of women in the general population will develop breast cancer sometime during their lives. By contrast, a recent large study estimated that about 72% of women who inherit a harmful BRCA1 mutation and about 69% of women who inherit a harmful BRCA2 mutation will develop breast cancer by the age of 80.

2. Harmful mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2 increase the risk of several cancers in addition to breast and ovarian cancer. These include fallopian tube cancer and peritoneal cancer. Men with BRCA2 mutations, and to a lesser extent BRCA1 mutations, are also at increased risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer. Both men and women with harmful BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations are at increased risk of pancreatic cancer.

Positive result. A positive test result indicates that a person has inherited a known harmful mutation in BRCA1 or BRCA2 and, therefore, has an increased risk of developing certain cancers. However, a positive test result cannot tell whether or when an individual will actually develop cancer. Some women who inherit a harmful BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation never develop breast or ovarian cancer.

A positive test result may also have important implications for family members, including future generations.

Both men and women who inherit a harmful BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation, whether or not they develop cancer themselves, may pass the mutation on to their sons and daughters. Each child has a 50% chance of inheriting a parent’s mutation.

If a person learns that he or she has inherited a harmful BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation, this will mean that each of his or her full siblings has a 50% chance of having inherited the mutation as well.

Negative result. A negative test result can be more difficult to understand than a positive result because what the result means depends in part on an individual’s family history of cancer and whether a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation has been identified in a blood relative.

If a close (first- or second-degree) relative of the tested person is known to carry a harmful BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation, a negative test result is clear: it means that person does not carry the harmful mutation that is responsible for their family’s cancer risk, and thus cannot pass it on to their children. Such a test result is called a true negative. A person with such a test result is currently thought to have the same risk of cancer as someone in the general population.

I win
8b77d2d8325dc72df16e8f96863137d5.jpg

Great Britain 35%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 25%
Europe West 18%
Europe East 7%
Scandinavia 7%
Europe South 4%
Iberian Peninsula 2%
European Jewish 1%
Africa Southeastern Bantu < 1%

Back