• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ancestry.com/23andme3.com Thread

Ireland/Scotland/Wales 58%
Great Britain 18%
Europe South 11%
Scandinavia 7%
Finland/NW Russia 6%

Migrations - Eastern North Carolina Settlers (my mother's people lived in Pitt County, with some in the Surry-Jamestown areas of Virginia)

Sent my spit off last week. Excited and nervous to see my results because I know nothing about my father's lineage.

That's how the Cville cops got a serial rapist about 15 years ago. A victim thought she may have recognized the guy years later and told the cops. They then followed him for a while and finally to a fast food restaurant and retrieved the cup he threw away and got a DNA hit.

I haven't bothered to do the ancestry/23 thing. Pretty sure I'm 25% German, 72% English with a little Scottish and 3% Native American. On behalf of 97% of my ancestors, I apologize to the rest of the world for all the damage and orderly oppression they wrought.

I honestly don't know how I'm half West European, unless that includes a lot of modern England (which would make some sense, considering the Norman Invasion). I've been able to trace a lot and almost all of it is from the British Isles.

Home DNA Kits: What Do They Tell You?
tl;dr; Wildly contradictory information. Also this:

At this point in our story we should also note that we submitted another set of samples from another individual to several of the companies. But this individual, Bailey, is not your usual customer. In fact, she’s not even human.

She’s a Labrador Retriever.

“You set the bar pretty low,” Dr. Baird laughed. “These tests are human specific!”

Indeed, his company kicked Bailey’s test back as unreadable, as did most others. But one, Orig3n DNA, which offers a “Superhero” test for strength, intelligence, and speed, failed to note that Bailey was not human.

Instead, after we submitted the $29 test, the company sent a 7 page report, saying that her muscle force would probably be great for quick movements like boxing and basketball, and that she has the cardiac output for long endurance bike rides or runs.

They did advise she might want to work with a personal trainer.

One of these genealogy kits is how they caught the Golden State Killer.

Kind of makes you a little hesitant to do one if you assume the guy they have is actually completely innocent.

Was thinking about getting one of these for my mom for Mother's Day, but she's incredibly not tech savvy. Bad idea? I looked into Ancestry's more family tree based "research", but looks like you have to subscribe monthly.

I just want to be able to hand her a book-like report with all sorts of ancestry/family tree info. Anybody have a rec for that?

Was thinking about getting one of these for my mom for Mother's Day, but she's incredibly not tech savvy. Bad idea? I looked into Ancestry's more family tree based "research", but looks like you have to subscribe monthly.

I just want to be able to hand her a book-like report with all sorts of ancestry/family tree info. Anybody have a rec for that?

That shit takes work. Either you have to do it or maybe another family member has already done it.

Surely I can pay someone to do it?!?

That is what genealogists do for a living. You would need to be willing to trust the person you pick with personal information. Names, addresses, dates of birth, places of birth, baptismal information (if applicable) dates of death, location at time of death etc. for as many relatives as you and your parents can remember. Also any family kept records, such as those in family Bibles can be very helpful.)

Another option is to contact a Mormon genealogy center and get lucky. You don't need to belong
The Mormons have invested tremendous amounts of money and millions of hours of (mostly volunteer) research into genealogy. Part of their belief system encourages identifying ancestors.

They are very willing to share.

ETA:

They run Familysearch.org a free genealogy web site.

Last edited:
Surely I can pay someone to do it?!?

If you have spare time, it's a lot of fun to do it yourself. Start with a template of what you know and as many of the details as possible and work back from there. My father did a lot of work, but I've managed to do quite a bit more because of the resources available (free and pay) online. It's pretty amazing what can be discovered.

One of these genealogy kits is how they caught the Golden State Killer.

Kind of makes you a little hesitant to do one if you assume the guy they have is actually completely innocent.

It was actually gedmatch, which allows users to upload raw data from the many different testing companies. The benefit, of course, is that if you've only done ancestry.com, you can connect with a match who only used 23andme.com.

The bad news is that, you know, killers and stuff.

I recently did the ancestry.com test. My mom was adopted and didn't share with us until I was 18 - she passed away when I was only 24 and never found out anything about her birth parents. I've found her half-brother, though he's not interested in communicating, which is fine. It's been pretty cool to explore. Another family connection has told me to do 23andme.com, too, which I'm considering. I've also just uploaded my info to GEDMatch.

If you don't mind sharing, what kind of information did you learn about your ancestry - similar stuff to what others have posted? How did you find the half-brother?

My father was adopted, and I know literally nothing about his biological ancestry (aside from him visibly being a white guy). I'm interested in these tests because I just don't know anything.

Shoot me a pm with your email address and I'll share more - but here's a quick summary. My mom was adopted during WWII. Never knew her parents. Died young, at 47. Never wished to learn anything about her background. My paternal grandmother (still not sure how she did this) somehow got a hold of what she said was my mom's original birth certificate. We never believed it was real, but what was purported to be her birth mom had a very Scandinavian name. Did my ancestry test, which came back nearly 50% Viking. OK. I opted into the shared info, and had one "first cousin" (which means that it's a direct relative, such as brother, parent, grandparent, etc...). I had a number of seconds. The first cousin didn't respond to my inquiry, but a second cousin, who also matched the first, did. My mom's birth mother was born in a small town in the Finger Lakes of NY. The woman wrote me and said "let me guess, your mom's birth certificate show's her mom's being born in ________." Boom. Then she shares with me her great uncle's info...which includes my grandmother, with the same name as what's on my mom's birth certificate.

We're pretty sure that my grandmother got pregnant during the war (my birth grandfather was in the US Army) and was sent to the big city - Buffalo - to have my mom and give her up for adoption. Afterward, she returned to the Finger Lakes and led a normal life. Got married, had a child - the first cousin, who happens to be my mom's half brother - and died in 1997.

I just went back and read this exchange, and Siff, I've had an incredible week that mirrored your story in so many ways.

Did Ancestry earlier this year, and had a couple 2nd cousin hits that were obviously through my Dad. Of those, one person seems reasonably active (has been a member on Ancestry for years, logs in regularly, has a family tree with 100+ people) and I identified her as most likely to be helpful in any sort of search. But, life got in the way, and I never reached out to her.

Fast forward to this week, she reaches out to me. We're both very guarded at first ('Huh, I wonder how we could possibly be related?'), but I let her know my Dad was adopted and that's about all I know. That gets her wheels spinning because she broadly suspected a situation like this happened in the family. I let her know where he was born and what year, and then the floodgates open. Long story short, she's my Dad's biological cousin (and thus, actually my second cousin) and has all but confirmed who my biological Grandfather is! Now, I need to forge some connections on the maternal side.

I am so white. Slight percentage of N. African/Middle Eastern and a little more Balkan/Sardinian so maybe a little fun stuff. I feel like I posted that before so sorry if that’s a repeat for you all into my background.

^^I'm whiter than you !

Ireland/Scotland/Wales 32%
Great Britain 28%
Europe East (Ukrainian Grandmother) 24%
Scandanavia 6%
Europe South 7%
Europe West 3%
All American 100%

Is this a contest? What do I win?

64% Great Britain
16% Ireland/Scotland/Wales
8% Scandinavia
4% Europe West
4% Europe East
Everything else <1%

And now in NC: In Serial Rape Case That Stumped Police, Genealogy Database Leads to Arrest

That is what genealogists do for a living. You would need to be willing to trust the person you pick with personal information. Names, addresses, dates of birth, places of birth, baptismal information (if applicable) dates of death, location at time of death etc. for as many relatives as you and your parents can remember. Also any family kept records, such as those in family Bibles can be very helpful.)

Another option is to contact a Mormon genealogy center and get lucky. You don't need to belong
The Mormons have invested tremendous amounts of money and millions of hours of (mostly volunteer) research into genealogy. Part of their belief system encourages identifying ancestors.

They are very willing to share.

ETA:

They run Familysearch.org a free genealogy web site.

This is run by the Mormons. Giving them your info could come back to haunt you.

Remember, they "converted" Holocaust victims to being "Mormons". Then, they called descendants to them they were now "Mormons". This was one of the most despicable acts imaginable.

Since RJ brought up the MORMON thing. I found something out about the MORMON faith that is unlike any faith I know. If you walk by a church, synagogue, temple, mosque or other house of faith, people welcome you to come in any see the facility or join their ceremony. Non-MORMONS are NOT allowed inside MORMONTemples.

This is even weirder when you consider every MORMOM is supposed spend two years converting people to their faith.

I consider MORMOMS slightly above Scientologists.

When your "institution" is founded on racism and sexism, that "institution" doesn't deserve respect. The only reason the MORMONS theoretically gave up polygamy was to get Utah into the US. There are STILL many MORMONS who practice polygamy. It took being scared about losing their non-profit status to change their racial bigotry in the late 70s. Then, the church attacked Jews. SORRY, their history is filed with sketchy actions taken by their leaders.

There aren't many good people who are MORMONS, and their church is despicable. The way they treat Non-WHITES is disgraceful.

This is run by the Mormons. Giving them your info could come back to haunt you.

Remember, they "converted" Holocaust victims to being "Mormons". Then, they called descendants to them they were now "Mormons". This was one of the most despicable acts imaginable.

Ancestry.com is run by Mormons to. Mormons are solid people nice people, no need to hate based on faith here.

Based on their ACTIONS. What they did was immoral and was directed from the top levels of the church.

Back