• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ancestry.com/23andme3.com Thread

Biff Tannen

Franchise Quarterback on a Rookie Contract
Staff Member
Reaction score
Anybody done this ? Anybody have recommendations for which one is better. I hear that Ancestry wants to sell all my information but 23andme won't do that. My kids are dying to take one of these tests.

Also, we're all related. Who knew ?

Without having idea what you are, besides being a basic white fella, from watching the commercials I can tell you that you are:

20-35% Scotch-Irish
5-10% Native American

23 & me is more focused on looking for markers of health traits and disease risks. a 'quantitative self' type friend of mind did it and said it was interesting but not particularly "useful"

Without having idea what you are, besides being a basic white fella, from watching the commercials I can tell you that you are:

20-35% Scotch-Irish
5-10% Native American

I'm guessing higher on the Scots-Irish
some English
some German
25% Russian/Ukrainian/Polish
No Native American on my mother's side

23 & me is more focused on looking for markers of health traits and disease risks. a 'quantitative self' type friend of mind did it and said it was interesting but not particularly "useful"

Yeah, the health test is an extra $100 and I'm not interested in it.

Like everyone who's ancestors have been here for 100+ years is partially Native American. That's my main takeaway from their ads. Pocahontas is probably my great (x10) granny.

How cool would it have been to be the first Viking to fall in love and make beautiful sex with a Native American ?

I know it probably didn't happen that way, but how cool ?

23&me is better and more robust in what they can tell you (but more expensive). Was half price on Prime Day this year (and rumored to be the #1 thing they sold that day). Rarely does it go on sale. For Black Friday, in the past, they've done a buy one, get $20 off the 2nd (not that compelling).

In addition to this, let's all guess our own breakdown ancestry wise for fun (or don't)

I'm going with 45% German, 40% Scots-Irish, 15% other (Native American, English, other)

Heard on NPR that your furthest relative on the planet is approximately your 70th cousin. So like some yam farmer in New Guinea is your 70th cousin.

You're all my bothers and sisters in global harmony !

I'm related to Nick Chubb !

0ap3000000497605.jpg

I really hope I'm not closely related to that Gretchen Wilson chick who sang Redneck Woman back in 2004. Really, I hope I'm not related to anyone named Gretchen except Gretchen Mol, who is silly hot, which is a genetic marker of mine.

My in-laws got me an ancestry.com test for my birthday last year. It's pretty basic, as noted. BUT if you are interested in the genetic trait/market stuff you can easily export and upload it to a service like https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Promethease/Learn_More for like $5 (online for only 45 days so you need to download it)

I'm like 40% Scandinavian, 30% Irish, then a smattering of English + East Europe. Grew up thinking I was like 40% Irish/40% English, so it was bit of a surprise.

Does anyone have thoughts for any of these online genealogy services purely from the perspective of creating, maintaining and sharing a family tree? Out of any of them, not just the two listed in the title.

If you do this its not advisable to use your real name and address to receive results. Use a pseudonym and send it to a PO box or a friend's house. Doubt you want the ruskies or Trump knowing what your genetic code says about your health traits and disease risks.

Back