• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gator fans thoughts on Dave Clawson

Wherever you see Florida on this thread, insert UNC. Every advantage Florida has and is DFL in the ACC. Clawson ain't going to State U. He's too fucking smart.

Deacon/Gator fan here....Florida faithful do not have the patience for Clawson and at this point Gainesville NEEDs a blockbuster name! Chip Kelly, Stoops, Les Miles ...someone of that recognition. Mac experiment did not go as planned which should deter UF from targeting Clawson. Claw and Wake are a perfect fit and I hope he knows that....FTR...F Urban!!!! :)

For fans at a school like Florida to get ok with someone like Clawson, he has to do something flashy and shiny. Like the Houston guy. You gotta get Wake into the top 10 by starting 10-0 or whatever and beat some top teams and get into a big time bowl game. And you have to score score score while you're doing it.

A couple times over .500 I don't care where you do it isn't going to interest ANYONE at a big time football school. No athletic director is going to think he can get a fan base behind that.

End of story.

That leaves an extremely, extremeley, extremely small list of available candidates, so your fans are more than likely going to be unhappy. Probably should just hire whoever you think is the best candidate.

Maybe given the issues with their program PSU fans were more OK with the Franklin hire? Because he was basically couple times over .500 dude before they hired him

Maybe given the issues with their program PSU fans were more OK with the Franklin hire? Because he was basically couple times over .500 dude before they hired him

Again, Franklin had Vandy 9-4 two years in a row. I think Wake has won 9+ games twice ever (2006 & 2007).

Vandy hadn’t had a 9 win season since 1915.

I have it on good authority that Clawson thinks jorts are lame.

Franklin also did a great job recruiting at Vandy. I believe they had multiple 4 star recruits his last couple of years there.

Screw Frankilin, I'll never forget him running it up on us years ago and jumping and chest bumping his assistant after the play on the sideline. Bitter? Maybe, but still F him.

Again, Franklin had Vandy 9-4 two years in a row. I think Wake has won 9+ games twice ever (2006 & 2007).

Vandy hadn’t had a 9 win season since 1915.

The criteria just seems dumb to me. If Wake had played Rice instead of ND this year and went 9-3 is Clawson all of a sudden a more acceptable candidate? Can you not reasonably project forward regarding the level of success Clawson would obtain at Wake next year?

I think you'll find that the one thing that has generally worked out is hiring dudes who have won in multiple places. Makes sense -- they've proven they can different situations and scenarios and would be up to yet another new challenge

The important thing to remember is that SEC program fans are some combination of stupid and delusional. They don’t understand what it means to build a program. They think 8 wins is average, and they certainly deserve more than average (because of how much money other fans donate). They don’t understand how any of it works. They deserve an elite coach but big time programs like theirs are too good to take any risks. They want to hire Dabo Swinney the national championship winning coach, not Dabo Swinney the WR coach and recruiting coordinator. And, of course, he will come running because...SEC?

Going back to 2000, there have been 11 national championship winning coaches per my count. If you go back to their resumes when they first took an elite job, many SEC fans would only be impressed with Urban’s and Mack Brown’s. (For the purpose of this exercise, counting Saban when LSU hired him and Urban when Florida hired him).

The criteria just seems dumb to me. If Wake had played Rice instead of ND this year and went 9-3 is Clawson all of a sudden a more acceptable candidate? Can you not reasonably project forward regarding the level of success Clawson would obtain at Wake next year?

I think you'll find that the one thing that has generally worked out is hiring dudes who have won in multiple places. Makes sense -- they've proven they can different situations and scenarios and would be up to yet another new challenge

Fine, who cares about 9 wins. It was just one metric because somebody said he was barely over .500 a couple of years at Vandy. The point was that Vandy had the 2 best season in their entire program’s history and that made Franklin a very attractive and desired hire.

Clawson is not there. Yet. But sure, if Wake wins out, he’ll be a hot name for a lot of vacancies.

My original point was that he’s not a candidate for UF. And he’s still not. And he won’t be.

I don’t even understand what the argument is about. We all agree Clawson has done a great job. But he’s not Urban Meyer. And he’s not even James Franklin (yet).

Clawson is already the best coach we have ever had in the modern era. Everyone forgets Grobe was left with some decent talent by Caldwell. Clawson was left with near zilch and will go to two straight bowls 100 % on his own effort. A third straight bowl would seem a near lock.

Clawson probably better than Grobe, but an ACC Championship and 3 years in a row with 11, 9, and 8 wins (and ranked at one point all 3 of those years) is the best stretch of football in WFU history.

ATS has significantly softened his stance since the first page of this thread. Good enough for me

Doesn’t count if it happened before WW2, no one denies this!

Also Gene Stallings wouldn’t have been the coach if Bear didn’t exist.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you had special rules and qualifiers.

Clawson is already the best coach we have ever had in the modern era. Everyone forgets Grobe was left with some decent talent by Caldwell. Clawson was left with near zilch and will go to two straight bowls 100 % on his own effort. A third straight bowl would seem a near lock.

I love Clawson, but I can’t say that yet. Sure Grobie had more talent to start with, but it was his players that had the ACC title and won 28 games in 3 seasons. He may end up being the best and he doesn’t even have to win an ACC title to do it. Long term consistency would do it in my opinion.

ATS has significantly softened his stance since the first page of this thread. Good enough for me

I stand by my first post on this thread.

I still don’t want Clawson at UF. And he won’t get a look because he hasn’t accomplished anything at Wake that would make an elite program excited to hire him. That was all I was saying.

I still don’t want Clawson at UF. And he won’t get a look because he hasn’t accomplished anything at Wake that would make an elite program excited to hire him. That was all I was saying.

Good we don’t want him there either and I think he’s probably got enough sense not to want to go there too.

And this is why SEC teams have coaching turnover on the regular.

Winning the press conference. Losing a fuckload of games

Clawson was on Mark Packer's show this evening. He sounded very satisfied and enthusiastic when Packer mentioned Wake's facilities. The highlight of what I heard was the Packer mention of the HOT NOW sign flashing on Stratford Road.

Back