• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Appreciation

I hope we lose him to a powerhouse because he did such a great job here - then we can make another good hire that’ll be attractive because of the foundation he built

Clawson has been a savior and we're lucky to have him. Hopefully he will be here for several more years and a run at a couple of ACC Titles. :) Kudos to the entire coaching staff as well, and for the players for buying in completely. They seem to love their head coach and they play with passion and fortitude, no matter what. That is a true measure of a HC. Even when limited in talent the first couple years, the will to win and motivation always seemed to be there. Go Deacs!! See y'all in Charlotte!!

I hope we lose him to a powerhouse because he did such a great job here - then we can make another good hire that’ll be attractive because of the foundation he built

The Wake football job is more attractive than the basketball job. There are far fewer quality football gigs. Wake can always hire one of the top G5 coaches especially if Clawson leaves after an 8 or 9 win season.

The Wake football job is more attractive than the basketball job. There are far fewer quality football gigs. Wake can always hire one of the top G5 coaches especially if Clawson leaves after an 8 or 9 win season.

I would hate to lose Clawson, but I agree with what you said about hiring a G5 coach. This season has reminded me of how fun those mid 2000 teams were under Grobe.

We truly have a great coach.

I hope he gets his own statue in 15 years because he's built WF into a powerhouse.

Deacs to the CFP in 2018. 11-1 and beat VT in the ACC Championship. Dortch a Heisman finalist. Heard it here first, folks. Clawson signs lifetime contract.

Deacs to the CFP in 2018. 11-1 and beat VT in the ACC Championship. Dortch a Heisman finalist. Heard it here first, folks. Clawson signs lifetime contract.

I like it.

After the first game of season at Groves which the Deacs won in 2006 a local well known personality was watching the new advertisement on the video board for the chance all ACC teams had to play in the Orange Bowl (first year of the automatic ACC spot). Will never forget the comment, One down Ten to go, we're there.

Playing in the CFP in 2018 is a very remote possibility but so was the Orange Bowl in 2006. It's always college ball.

Given the development Clawson has achieved does anyone realistically doubt Clawson’s great potential for upside improvement at Wake Forest over the next several years? Does anyone expect staleness, complacency or distraction from Clawson? The answer to both questions is No. Wake will need to approach future compensation packages with that assessment in clear focus. It may very be the case that Clawson would prefer to achieve the greatest coaching feats at Wake Forest because at Wake (1) there is less intense pressure to be great, (2) there is a greater legacy derived from becoming great if that occurs at Wake Forest and (3) he possesses a genuine interest in proving that students can achieve greatness in football at a Wake Forest. After all, his personal experience reflects a deep respect for a legitimate college level education.

After the first game of season at Groves which the Deacs won in 2006 a local well known personality was watching the new advertisement on the video board for the chance all ACC teams had to play in the Orange Bowl (first year of the automatic ACC spot). Will never forget the comment, One down Ten to go, we're there.

Playing in the CFP in 2018 is a very remote possibility but so was the Orange Bowl in 2006. It's always college ball.

My dad and I were at that game and I remember saying to him "I understand why they are playing that, but it's kind of unrealistic for Wake." Little did I know.

I remember laughing at that same video. "Yeah right, we are going to the Orange Bowl!!". I few months later, I was sitting at the 50 yard line of the Orange Bowl.

Yep. And I was in President Hearns' suite at the OB. Friends in high places.

GOOD TIMES!

Given the development Clawson has achieved does anyone realistically doubt Clawson’s great potential for upside improvement at Wake Forest over the next several years? Does anyone expect staleness, complacency or distraction from Clawson? The answer to both questions is No. Wake will need to approach future compensation packages with that assessment in clear focus. It may very be the case that Clawson would prefer to achieve the greatest coaching feats at Wake Forest because at Wake (1) there is less intense pressure to be great, (2) there is a greater legacy derived from becoming great if that occurs at Wake Forest and (3) he possesses a genuine interest in proving that students can achieve greatness in football at a Wake Forest. After all, his personal experience reflects a deep respect for a legitimate college level education.

I don't know what to expect. AS good as we were against Louisville, second half against Syracuse, for 3 quarters against NC State, We were just as bad against App State, 2nd half of Ga Tech, 3 quarters against Clemson, and 4th quarter of Florida State. The passing game is the best I've seen at Wake Forest. We have some scary WRs. We have a senior QB (Not recruited by Clawson) that is firing on all cylinders, an NFL DE, an NFL TE, and the defense plays lights out in spurts. There's certainly room for improvement, but Grobe had all those things as well at times. and he ended up getting run out of town. If he can continue to consistently recruit, coach, and improve, I'm all in. But lets not anoint him the greatest thing ever, yet.

Looking at our season to this point, I think we should be a 7 win team or better. Maybe we didnt deserve the App win, but we were clearly the better team against FSU, and our effort against Notre Dame would have won nearly other game on the schedule except for Clemson. I think we would have won the State game even if they hadnt fumbled that touchdown. We had 2 or 3 minutes left, 2 timeouts, and only would have been down 1 point.

I don't know what to expect. AS good as we were against Louisville, second half against Syracuse, for 3 quarters against NC State, We were just as bad against App State, 2nd half of Ga Tech, 3 quarters against Clemson, and 4th quarter of Florida State. The passing game is the best I've seen at Wake Forest. We have some scary WRs. We have a senior QB (Not recruited by Clawson) that is firing on all cylinders, an NFL DE, an NFL TE, and the defense plays lights out in spurts. There's certainly room for improvement, but Grobe had all those things as well at times. and he ended up getting run out of town. If he can continue to consistently recruit, coach, and improve, I'm all in. But lets not anoint him the greatest thing ever, yet.

Grobe did not get run out of town - far from it. He overstayed his utility by at least 2 years. His issue was replacing excellent coaches with inadequate ones, and tolerating a completely incompetent OC for a decade. Small wonder that no decent skill players wanted to come to Wake. Lastly, got super lazy with recruiting.

You must have been drunk. Hatch was then the president and Hearns was enjoying from above.

Nope. Hatch was the Pres then but I sat right next to Hearns and his son in their private suite enjoying the OB.

Hearns died shortly thereafter.

Great points. Someone posted college coaches salaries a week or two ago and Clawson was at the bottom of the ACC (as I recall). Wake will really need to pony up after this year. Anyone who doesn't think Clawson will get outside offers after this season is crazy. Wake is a great fit for a coach who can stay competitive in the ACC but when someone offers you a million or two more than you are currently making that's too tempting.

Back