• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlie Manson has died

Manson had stopped even bothering to go to his parole hearings. Will be interesting to see what Jerry Brown does with Leslie Van Houton‘s parole recommendation.

Manson had stopped even bothering to go to his parole hearings. Will be interesting to see what Jerry Brown does with Leslie Van Houton‘s parole recommendation.

I can't imagine she'd be much of a danger at this point. But that's probably not the point. Although now that Charlie is dead, maybe she has a better chance.

As for Charlie, I heard about it on NPR 1st thing this a.m. They had mentioned something that I hadn't remembered about the string of grisly murders - that Charlie's plan was to blame it on some black dudes in an effort to start a race war. I had forgotten that part of his plan, though it sounds less than fully baked.

I can't imagine she'd be much of a danger at this point. But that's probably not the point. Although now that Charlie is dead, maybe she has a better chance.

As for Charlie, I heard about it on NPR 1st thing this a.m. They had mentioned something that I hadn't remembered about the string of grisly murders - that Charlie's plan was to blame it on some black dudes in an effort to start a race war. I had forgotten that part of his plan, though it sounds less than fully baked.

His plan was to take his followers to a secret underground city in the desert outside L.A. and make raids on cities in a fleet of customized dune buggies while they waited out the race war he was going to start. Eventually, most whites would be killed and he would emerge from hiding to be welcomed by the black survivors of Helter Skelter as their ruler. The Manson family actually stole a bunch of VWs and Porsches and converted them into dune buggies on the Spahn ranch in preparation.

That race war Helter Skelter bit was used successfully (and wisely) by Bugliosi to to get guilty verdicts for Manson and the four girls, and Manson had the girls believing all that shit, but the murders were really driven by money, drugs, and a power struggle of trust between Manson, Tex Watson, and Bobby Bousoleil - the three men who ran the “family.”

Manson needed Watson to commit murder to even the score - Bobby had committed one in Gary Hinman’s murder and was in jail for it, Manson thought (and Watson believed he had) killed a Black Panther and Shorty Shea, and Manson didn’t trust that Watson wouldn’t rat him out if the cops got to him - so he instructed Watson to take the girls up and do the murders, so all three had something on each other as insurance. The Helter Skelter and Pigs written in blood were done to mislead police into believing the “real’ killer of Gary Hinman was out on the loose and therefore spring Bobby Beausoleil, since he had written in blood at that crime scene.

Secondly, Manson was a shitty criminal and he got dicked on a large crank deal by a bunch of Hell’s Angels and sold some Black Panthers the counterfeit dope (or the other way around, cant remember), and he was scared he would be killed if he didn’t get the money together. So they picked the house owned by Polanski on Cielo drive because Charlie had been there before in his failed attempt at a record deal with the previous owner and figured they would get plenty of cash, jewelry, drugs, etc - but they came away with very little. All of this would have proven much harder to establish in court and Bugliosi went with the trip Charlie was laying on the girls to get convictions for all. Smart.

It’s been a while, but in my 30s I got really interested and read all the books I could on the murders, traveled to the sites while in SoCal, etc. He was a fucked up guy who’s whole life was shit basically because his parents were addicts and he ended up in orphanages and reform schools his whole life, was a pimp for a short time, then when he got out of prison went down to Haight Ashbury at just the right time with just the right skills to get a bunch of homeless hippie runaway girls to bang him all day and shoplift for him and get him high and all that. Of course, everything got all fucked up and he ended up back in prison on 7 charges of murder and he was finished.

Also interesting, is that Watson pretty much did all the killing. The girls weren’t cold blooded killers, and they were not effective killers and were just in chaos at the first scene, and they had to make whatsername stab the dead body the second night to get her involved. He was filled with crank during the murders and in his book said he felt nothing while he did it. Noticeably, he fought extradition from Texas (where he was from and located when the charges came down) was prosecuted separately and not much fanfare around him. Bugliosi smart to not to press for extradition or make a deal.

Oh yeah, and Manson went up to Cielo drive later that night to look at the bodies, and to plant eyeglasses at the scene. Dude was fucking nuts.

Last edited:
The cielo house is gone but you can see the driveway and the layout of the houses and the canyon. The LaBianca house is still there, and then we drove the route where they left and threw the gun and bloody clothes and washed the blood off with someone's garden hose.

It was a funny/quirky Hollywood tour thing called FindADeath or something that basically took you to places where famous people died and famous murders.

The cielo house is gone but you can see the driveway and the layout of the houses and the canyon. The LaBianca house is still there, and then we drove the route where they left and threw the gun and bloody clothes and washed the blood off with someone's garden hose.

It was a funny/quirky Hollywood tour thing called FindADeath or something that basically took you to places where famous people died and famous murders.

Sounds a little like the Peterman reality tour

I still have a fascination with the whole Mason thing; have read all the books and watched the documentaries as well. At least once a year I take business trip with an 8-10 hour drive one way and I listen to Bugliosi's audio book.

Yeah its an interesting topic. Have you read the Charles Watson stuff and the Jeffrey Toobin book?

Back