• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Buddy moving to Ireland for work

Sgt Hulka

Board Big Toe
Reaction score
I have a buddy moving to Ireland for work...he is 31 and going for three years. What would be a great going away gift? I'm looking for something he can use while he is there, not a hooker, etc.

thoughts?

If he is having a moving company move him (as opposed to just setting up shop there from scratch), consider purchasing a case of his favorite beer/wine/food.

Living abroad, the biggest miss is often specialty foods that just can't be acquired abroad. Simple things like Doritos or other foods are either (1) unavailable, or (2) altered in the foreign country to better suit foreign tastes. This can be a total double whammy for someone living outside the US, because not only can they not get their favorite foods, but when they do get them, they taste different or less.

They pronounce the town of Cork like “Caaahhhhrrrrrk” but sounds like angry “Cock” so be aware of that

...am I the only one who thinks it's odd to get a gift for someone living abroad for three years?
Throw him a going-away party or take him out for drinks before he rolls. Not sure why he needs a 'thing', but maybe I'm just really a miser.

rain jacket. he'll think of you when he wears it everyday

Put a slingbox at your house and give him the password.

...am I the only one who thinks it's odd to get a gift for someone living abroad for three years?
Throw him a going-away party or take him out for drinks before he rolls. Not sure why he needs a 'thing', but maybe I'm just really a miser.

We are throwing him a going away party. I just thought I would ask the quad something that they may know about since a number of you have lived abroad. There would undoubtedly be things that someone doing this would say, "If I had only known XYZ, I would have brought ABC." I don't know why you think that is odd. His GF and I have been thinking about it and I thought I would come here for advice.

He sucks at golf and has rain gear...but thanks for the suggestion.

That's a great idea.

We are throwing him a going away party. I just thought I would ask the quad something that they may know about since a number of you have lived abroad. There would undoubtedly be things that someone doing this would say, "If I had only known XYZ, I would have brought ABC." I don't know why you think that is odd. His GF and I have been thinking about it and I thought I would come here for advice.

He sucks at golf and has rain gear...but thanks for the suggestion.

I think we have a winner!!! What a great idea!

Thanks!

If the slingbox doesn't work you could buy him a subscription to a VPN. That way he can still stream his American sports and shows.

VPN / Slingbox is yesterday's solution - there's now pretty much dedicated subscription services native to Europe (so you can use them as apps on your phone, Chromecast/AppleTV them, not have to worry about sketchy upload speeds at your friend's house with the Slinbox, etc) for every US sport you want to follow.

Is he a college sports fan? http://www.espnplayer.com (this will likely redirect to WatchESPN if you are coming from a USA location so you'd have to VPN to Europe to set up an account) has literally every ESPN NCAA product ... so every college game of every sport which is shown on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ABC, Longhorn Network, ACC Network, etc

NBA/NFL/MLB fan? Each of those has packages available for overseas fans as well.

I'd get him a subscription to one those if he's a big fan.

Is he a college sports fan? http://www.espnplayer.com (this will likely redirect to WatchESPN if you are coming from a USA location so you'd have to VPN to Europe to set up an account) has literally every ESPN NCAA product ... so every college game of every sport which is shown on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ABC, Longhorn Network, ACC Network, etc

Wait, can you explain this again? I'm confused.

viz. "coming from a USA location" and "VPN to Europe"

People in the US can’t access this site, unless they use a European VPN.

Ah, so if you watched "from a USA location" the "espnplayer" website would redirect to "WatchESPN". So, if you were signing up from the US, you'd have to use a European VPN to set things up. If you were already living in Ireland, it would work fine. Got it, thanks.

Do they sell drugs that thicken your semen so you don't end up with a ginger baby?
If so, buy that.

Is his gf going with him? Is she hot? Is she kind of gross? Is he kind of gross? Are they dwarfs? You have not given us adequate info holmes

Back