• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FCC set to repeal net neutrality

In general I think the concept of net neutrality is a good one, but just wonder how that same logic would have applied say to the postal and package service industries; would there have been and incentive for someone to develop a FedEx, Amazon Prime, etc.?

Not sure what you mean. Roads are neutral. Not as familiar with how business transportation by air and water go, though.

Well that's interesting. I'm not optimistic enough Republicans will do the right thing.

Would be a great sign for our legislative body if they could come together and actually make a good joint decision. I can't remember the last time that happened with regards to anything significant.

Sinclair and Comcast did their quid pro quo for Trump cancelling net neutrality with their one time bonus announcements.

Third world dictators must love Trump.

Would be a great sign for our legislative body if they could come together and actually make a good joint decision. I can't remember the last time that happened with regards to anything significant.

Doubtful.

——-
Since 2014, Republicans have pointed to net neutrality as an idea primarily promoted by President Obama, and have made it another in a long line of regulations and laws that they have sought to repeal now that Donald Trump is president. Prior to this false narrative, though, net neutrality was a bipartisan issue; the first net neutrality rules were put in place under President George W. Bush, and many Republicans worked on the 2015 rules that were just dismantled.

What happened, then, is that Republicans sold the public a narrative that wasn’t true, then used that narrative to repeal the regulations that protect the internet.
——-

You can’t expect those same Republicans to vote against the Trump administration’s wishes.

Senate bill to block net neutrality repeal now has 40 co-sponsors

A Senate bill that would block the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) from repealing its net neutrality rules now has 40 co-sponsors, Senate Democrats announced Tuesday.

The news comes just a day after the bill won its 30th co-sponsor, ensuring that it has enough support to clear a procedural threshold and get fast-tracked to a floor vote.

It appears unlikely that the bill will pass, but Democrats see political value in forcing Republicans to take a stance on the issue. Polls have found that a large majority of the public supports keeping the net neutrality rules.

Senate bill to preserve net neutrality wins first GOP backer

If you want to keep what is perceived as Net Neutrality, advocate for the end of the last mile monopoly...

Last edited:
Most people here want to preserve net neutrality and want to end last mile monopolies.

Most people here want to preserve net neutrality and want to end last mile monopolies.

Funny, I do not think I have ever heard on the national news anything resembling the phrase last mile monopoly. Plenty about net neutrality, whatever that definition means, but nothing about last mile monopoly...

Funny, I do not think I have ever heard on the national news anything resembling the phrase last mile monopoly. Plenty about net neutrality, whatever that definition means, but nothing about last mile monopoly...

there's plenty of explanations about net neutrality out there. in fact, even burger king has one;

The Senate has forced a vote to restore net neutrality

The Congressional Review Act allows Congress to roll back regulations within 60 legislative days of introduction, a process that today’s resolution would apply to the internet rules introduced by FCC chairman Ajit Pai in December. Pai’s rules reversed the 2015 Open Internet Order, which had explicitly banned blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization by internet providers. To successfully undo the Pai order and restore the 2015 rules, today’s resolution would need a bare majority in both the Senate and the House, as well as the president’s signature.

So far, 50 senators have come out in support of the bill: 48 Democrats together with Sen. Angus King (I-ME) and Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME). Activists have targeted moderate Republicans like Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA), and Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) as a possible 51st vote. The 2015 net neutrality rules are still broadly popular, which activists hope will make members of Congress wary of voting against them.

Back