• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore

Players are gonna play... until their coach sits them for their bs.

Yes, this is an old problem for teams. 'Bones' McKinney would call time out and tell Packer, Hart, etc. to get the ball to LEN CHAPPELL -- in a very strong voice.

Doral's ACC stats after nine games. 10.4 points/gm. 10.3 rebounds/gm, second in ACC. 62.5% FG avg, first in ACC. 2.4 blocks/gm, third in ACC. Four double-doubles in nine games. Not too shabby.

Agreed. Doral still has some improving to do but I appreciate the jump he has made from last year.

Some NBA GMs are going to look at that and probably be willing to bet a late first round pick. Particularly when they see how few touches he gets.

Some NBA GMs are going to look at that and probably be willing to bet a late first round pick. Particularly when they see how few touches he gets.

When, this year? He's on zero draft radars at this point - doesn't even really have a profile on any of the draft sites. Would take a monster 2nd half of ACC play to reach that level. Even then, it would be doubtful.

Color me skeptical of an NBA defection.

Are there any sources out there that project Moore as an NBA draft pick after this season?

Late 1st round pick?

C'mon, folks.

At the beginning of the year, we were debating whether or not Doral could play 18+ minutes a game, so his consistency in both staying on the court and being productive this year are a testament to his commitment to getting better and to our big man development. Kudos to him and the staff.

I don't project him as an NBA player though. If he were to work on something this off season, it'd have to be quick twitch speed. I don't know how doable that is. He has good athleticism, okay to good hands (he's caught some bad Crawford passes both low and high), and he gets up and down the court well, but I don't see an NBA reaction speed with him. Yet. He should stay IMO. This year is the first year in like 4 or 5 years he's played more than half of a game. His last two years in high school I think he played 14 minutes a game, and he did the same his first two years at Wake, so I think it would be good for him to come back and play 28-30 minutes game in game out whether he signs overseas or gets an NBA look.

Color me skeptical of an NBA defection.

Are there any sources out there that project Moore as an NBA draft pick after this season?

Late 1st round pick?

C'mon, folks.

When, this year? He's on zero draft radars at this point - doesn't even really have a profile on any of the draft sites. Would take a monster 2nd half of ACC play to reach that level. Even then, it would be doubtful.

TATCR Doral has been more than I expected him to be this year but he's not "leave early for the NBA" good

I'm no draft expert and never look at mock drafts, but is Moore really far behind these first and second rounders from last year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NBA_draft

#22 Jarrett Allen, 13/8 in one season at Texas
#25 Anžejs Pasečņiks, plays in 4th-tier Spanish league
#28 Tony Bradley, never played 20 minutes in an ACC or NCAAT game for UNC, 7.5/5.1 in 14.6 MPG
#47 Ike Anigbogu - never played more than 20 minutes in a college game, never had 10 rebounds, scored 10+points once

All it takes is a few GMs to whisper in his ear.

Doral is not leaving barring a miracle close to the season. At this point, he's not at all on anyone's 2018 radar.

I'm no draft expert and never look at mock drafts, but is Moore really far behind these first and second rounders from last year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NBA_draft

#22 Jarrett Allen, 13/8 in one season at Texas
#25 Anžejs Pasečņiks, plays in 4th-tier Spanish league
#28 Tony Bradley, never played 20 minutes in an ACC or NCAAT game for UNC, 7.5/5.1 in 14.6 MPG
#47 Ike Anigbogu - never played more than 20 minutes in a college game, never had 10 rebounds, scored 10+points once

That's not how it works.

And yes, right now, he is well behind those guys because they were already drafted and he isn't even getting a look.

No question that Doral Moore has an NBA build, but he still has a lot to work on. Agree with jaybone that he'd benefit from another year in college where he plays a ton of minutes. He doesn't have anything in his game that (to me, at least) would translate to the NBA game. He's not good enough on defense to make up for his complete lack of range on the offensive end.

That's not how it works.

And yes, right now, he is well behind those guys because they were already drafted and he isn't even getting a look.

No question that Doral Moore has an NBA build, but he still has a lot to work on. Agree with jaybone that he'd benefit from another year in college where he plays a ton of minutes. He doesn't have anything in his game that (to me, at least) would translate to the NBA game. He's not good enough on defense to make up for his complete lack of range on the offensive end.
Agreed. He's too slow to defend NBA bigs, and he has no range on the offensive end.

As you would expect, the NBA draft sites are always a few steps behind what NBA GMs are thinking (for example, at this time last year, JC was not on any draft boards), but think about where Doral is now and where JC was last year. Doral has improved a lot, but he is far from the unstoppable force that JC had become by the end of January. For a good portion of last season, John Collins was the best offensive college basketball player in the country.

That said, Doral's height alone would cause NBA teams to consider Moore, but not as a first round pick. At best, right now, Moore would be a 2nd round pick based on potential and would be a G league candidate for at least a year probably two, and his NBA future would depend on how he handles that grind, and that's an "at best" scenario. Very good chance that Doral would go undrafted and then just hope for a G league shot or a league in Turkey or Belgium or some similar remote outpost.

So, based upon logic and reason, going pro would seem unlikely for Doral, but that depends on "logic and reason" prevailing. Often it does not. Often there are other factors at play that aren't apparent to those at us that look at the decision from just a basketball development perspective. Don't think Doral will go pro after this year, and don't think he should, but that does not mean he won't do it.

Last edited:
Some good analysis here. I definitely think he returns.

That said, at beginning of the Duke game, I was really impressed with that baseline jumper right over Bagley. Surprised he had that in his reportoire. While allowed to be on the court, he has also clearly given Bagley problems if you pay close attention. Great for his mix tape.

NBA scouts are going to be looking at that 18/12 against Duke.

As you would expect, the NBA draft sites are always a few steps behind what NBA GMs are thinking (for example, at this time last year, JC was not on any draft boards), but think about where Doral is now and where JC was last year. Doral has improved a lot, but he is far from the unstoppable force that JC had become by the end of January. For a good portion of last season, John Collins was the best offensive college basketball player in the country.

That said, Doral's height alone would cause NBA teams to consider Moore, but not as a first round pick. At best, right now, Moore would be a 2nd round pick based on potential and would be a G league candidate for at least a year probably two, and his NBA future would depend on how he handles that grind, and that's an "at best" scenario. Very good chance that Doral would go undrafted and then just hope for a G league shot or a league in Turkey or Belgium or some similar remote outpost.

So, based upon logic and reason, going pro would seem unlikely for Doral, but that depends on "logic and reason" prevailing. Often it does not. Often there are other factors at play that aren't apparent to those at us that look at the decision from just a basketball development perspective. Don't think Doral will go pro after this year, and don't think he should, but that does not mean he won't do it.

At this point last year, John Collins was absolutely on nearly every (probably every) team's draft board. He was averaging a about 20/10, had scored 20+ in five consecutive ACC games and was shooting a really high percentage.

Back