• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore

as of January 20th last year Collins was projected as the 35th pick in the draft

Collins was/is a far, far more polished offensive player than Moore, without question

He's also 6'9", and Moore is 7'1" and a capable low post defender

Collins was also 19 when drafted. Moore is 21 right now.

I know it can take 7 footers longer to develop, and we've seen a lot of development from Moore, but at some point he is what he is.

Moore is certainly a borderline late 2nd round possibility right now. He could easily play international ball for a long time. He is making great strides and could have a really big year next year but it's unclear what his ceiling is. Hope he's happy at Wake because we really need him next year.

Collins was also 19 when drafted. Moore is 21 right now.

I know it can take 7 footers longer to develop, and we've seen a lot of development from Moore, but at some point he is what he is.

which is why, if you think you will be a second round pick, you ought to think pretty hard about going and getting paid

I don't know how close he is to being projected as a 2nd round pick but I don't think he's miles away

most of the top half of last year's second round got two-year guaranteed contracts at or above league minimum, which is over $1 million in guaranteed money

The performance against "future NBA superstar" Bagley and three refs will open some eyes. So will him playing 30 minutes in at least one game this year, which shows that his stamina issues have been addressed.

If this were last year and Doral finished the year very strongly he might have had a chance to be a second round pick as there were only 9 players who were listed as C or PF/C drafted last year.

This year there are as many as 10 in just the first round.

It's a much more difficult year to be a fringe, pure C this year.

If he finishes strong I could see him getting picked up as one of the two way guys spending a lot of time in the g league. His lack of minutes is likely good and bad. Fewer minutes and the duke game might convince the right gm to take a chance. Think it's currently a long shot but he is certainly improving and his stock could rise.

I won't lose any sleep over it yet.

as of January 20th last year Collins was projected as the 35th pick in the draft

Collins was/is a far, far more polished offensive player than Moore, without question

He's also 6'9", and Moore is 7'1" and a capable low post defender

When you say Moore is a capable low post defender, I think you need to add the word COLLEGE between the words POST and DEFENDER.

Again, he needs to improve his reaction speed to get a legit shot in the NBA. Right now, he does not have the fast twitch muscle speed for it to work. Watch a 2-minute highlight of Andre Drummond. Heck, even go back and watch a UConn highlight. Moore doesn't have to be that fast or fluid, but he has to be in the ballpark. He is not today.

You keep changing the goal posts as well. Before you were talking 1st round, now you are slipping back to late 2nd round.

Moore also could use a little more demonstrative behavior on the court. At times, particularly after he makes a mistake like miss a free throw, he gives off the demeanor of someone who would rather be curled on the couch with two kittens. Not saying he doesn't have the passion for playing hoops or a competitive streak - I think he does - but I think he needs to show it a little bit to give off the vibe that he loves playing, loves the big game atmosphere, etc.., and is not just out there because he is 7'1" and that is where everyone tells him he is supposed to be at this age..

I think he can come back, play 25+ minutes and average 13/10 and get into the 1st round conversation next year with production and a little skill/athleticism/attitude bump that I think he is capable of. Remember, he was hardly even comfortable in limited minutes really the last 4 years until this year so he has already made huge strides. He is absolutely anchoring our defense and figured out how to help on D without committing too many fouls. It is a remarkable improvement actually.

When you say Moore is a capable low post defender, I think you need to add the word COLLEGE between the words POST and DEFENDER.

Again, he needs to improve his reaction speed to get a legit shot in the NBA. Right now, he does not have the fast twitch muscle speed for it to work. Watch a 2-minute highlight of Andre Drummond. Heck, even go back and watch a UConn highlight. Moore doesn't have to be that fast or fluid, but he has to be in the ballpark. He is not today.

You keep changing the goal posts as well. Before you were talking 1st round, now you are slipping back to late 2nd round.

Moore also could use a little more demonstrative behavior on the court. At times, particularly after he makes a mistake like miss a free throw, he gives off the demeanor of someone who would rather be curled on the couch with two kittens. Not saying he doesn't have the passion for playing hoops or a competitive streak - I think he does - but I think he needs to show it a little bit to give off the vibe that he loves playing, loves the big game atmosphere, etc.., and is not just out there because he is 7'1" and that is where everyone tells him he is supposed to be at this age..

I think he can come back, play 25+ minutes and average 13/10 and get into the 1st round conversation next year with production and a little skill/athleticism/attitude bump that I think he is capable of. Remember, he was hardly even comfortable in limited minutes really the last 4 years until this year so he has already made huge strides. He is absolutely anchoring our defense and figured out how to help on D without committing too many fouls. It is a remarkable improvement actually.

not changing the goal posts; in my first post I compared him to guys from the bottom of the first round and middle second round (and said, "first and second")

I probably wasn't clear enough that second round was a possible landing space for him but I definitely believe it is (and as posted, top half of second round almost all got guaranteed $ last year)

you say he can average 13/10 next year at WF; I agree since he is averaging 13/11 over his last 6 games this year, including games against the two best defensive teams in the ACC

and Edited to add: yes, of course when I said he was a capable post defender, I meant in college

Last edited:
I'd love to be proven wrong, but don't think Moore has a shot at the NBA. Probably 20-30 years ago he would have. The game has changed. It's pace and space. Bigs either need to shoot, or be able to defend the PnR on defense. Throw it into the big guy in the post and let him back down for 8 seconds doesn't exist anymore. Big guys who lack lateral quickness get abused in the PnR, so if that is you, you better be a great offensive player. Look at Jahill Okafor. He got traded for nothing and can't get off the bench for the Nets. He's much better offensively than Doral, and more athletic, but he's too much of a defensive liability to play.

Sarr, on the other hand, can potentially develop into an NBA player. He's much more of a fluid athlete, and has shooting touch that can eventually likely extend to NBA 3 range.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but don't think Moore has a shot at the NBA. Probably 20-30 years ago he would have. The game has changed. It's pace and space. Bigs either need to shoot, or be able to defend the PnR on defense. Throw it into the big guy in the post and let him back down for 8 seconds doesn't exist anymore. Big guys who lack lateral quickness get abused in the PnR, so if that is you, you better be a great offensive player. Look at Jahill Okafor. He got traded for nothing and can't get off the bench for the Nets. He's much better offensively than Doral, and more athletic, but he's too much of a defensive liability to play.

Sarr, on the other hand, can potentially develop into an NBA player. He's much more of a fluid athlete, and has shooting touch that can eventually likely extend to NBA 3 range.

The game has changed, no doubt. But there's still room on NBA rosters for rim protectors. Compared to 20-30 years ago, NBA rosters are larger and two-way deals give teams a lot of flexibility to bring in lots of different skills. If teams are looking for a guy who can put a big body on some of the elite post scorers, block and alter shots by guards and wings in the paint, rebound and follow shots, and occasionally hit a hook or short jumper off a post up in 10-15 minutes a game, they'll take a lot at Moore.

I think Doral will float around the league for a bit.

Just think, if this happens, we had 2 NBA big's and a Euro pro on one team. Not a good look for the W/L record.

Just think, if this happens, we had 2 NBA big's and a Euro pro on one team. Not a good look for the W/L record.

Two NBA bigs and Two Euro pro bigs on the 2015-16 team that went 11-20 (2-16).

Yes, ouch, but let's see Doral in the NBA first before we start throwing that stat out like its a fact.

Yes, ouch, but let's see Doral in the NBA first before we start throwing that stat out like its a fact.

The "ouch" was adding Devin Thomas to the stat. It's not like it's any better to go 11-20 with one NBA big and three Euro bigs.

Two NBA bigs and Two Euro pro bigs on the 2015-16 team that went 11-20 (2-16).

Of course none of those bigs were had pro quality performances that year. At least I don't recall chatter here about imminent early departures that year.

Back