• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore

It's November. The season is not a wash.

LOL. We would have to win the tournament or make the semis after finishing 12-6 or better in conference play. It's a wash.

Give Mitchell and Melo more run at the 4.

This year is a wash already. Give the young guys more minutes over TT and Wilbekin.

Once Mitchell figures out his foul issues I think he will be the guy at the four as the year progresses. He fits into the lineup that Manning wants to play and seems to be at least semi-capable of hitting threes, which will help out a lot if he is paired with Moore.

2 guards, Brown, Mitchell, and Moore look a lot more like what Wake ran last year than anything else so far.

Also, Wake is still at top 35 offensive team, which feels weird, but the possession totals have been way down from last year, which is in part due to playing teams that like to slow it down, and also less efficient possessions with pick and roll on offense.

LOL. We would have to win the tournament or make the semis after finishing 12-6 or better in conference play. It's a wash.

Probably a wash but it's absurd to suggest we don't still have a chance. The first few games of the season are meaningless if this team gets good during the ACC season. 11-7 in the ACC would do it IMO.

Gotta win out all our OOC games to get to 8-4. 11-7 in the ACC and 2 wins in the ACCT gets us in.

Seeing as how none of that is going to happen, yes, we can consider it a wash. All about player development from here to set up our final 4 run next season.

Probably a wash but it's absurd to suggest we don't still have a chance. The first few games of the season are meaningless if this team gets good during the ACC season. 11-7 in the ACC would do it IMO.

Won't our RPI single-handedly sink the entire conference in that situation? If we go 11-7 after our non-con performance, the conference will be alongside the Sun Belt in RPI and get like 4 teams in, one of which would not be us.

The ACC has dropped to #4 in the KP basketball conference rankings. Primarily attributable to 8 horrible losses by both WF and Pitt.

Step away from your statistics books boys. An 11-7 ACC record would mean some big wins and would get us in. This is especially true if we won all our remaining out of conference games.
I don't believe this will happen but I wouldn't call the season a wash yet. I wouldn't consider the only acceptable goal for this season to be making the NCAA tournament at this point. Def the primary goal though.

Honestly I am just hoping for 3-4 ACC wins this season (unless the fairy responsible for miraculous turn arounds sprays its dust all over our guys).

The ACC has dropped to #4 in the KP basketball conference rankings. Primarily attributable to 8 horrible losses by both WF and Pitt.

Which shows why the KP ratings at this point are ridiculous.

I wouldn't call this season a wash. I would call it a likely disaster. There is no way we're making the NCAA tournament and we're unlikely to make it past Day 1 of the ACC tournament.

Which shows why the KP ratings at this point are ridiculous.

KP ratings at this point actually are really valuable if you take the time to understand them. Bad losses by conference cellar dwellers drag down conference ratings, and they should.

I'm sure there are more recent examples, but one team I remember that sucked early and then came on strong was the 96-97 Gamecocks. They started out 5-5 with home loses to UNC Asheville and Charleston Southern, somehow pulled it together and finished 15-1 in the SEC and earned a #2 overall seed in the NCAA tourney (then promptly lost to coppin st in the first round but that is a different story).

So...it is unlikely that we are going to be good this year. But there have been teams in the past with horrible early season losses that recovered to have a nice season. Probably not going to be the 17-18 Deacons though.

I'm sure there are more recent examples, but one team I remember that sucked early and then came on strong was the 96-97 Gamecocks. They started out 5-5 with home loses to UNC Asheville and Charleston Southern, somehow pulled it together and finished 15-1 in the SEC and earned a #2 overall seed in the NCAA tourney (then promptly lost to coppin st in the first round but that is a different story).

So...it is unlikely that we are going to be good this year. But there have been teams in the past with horrible early season losses that recovered to have a nice season. Probably not going to be the 17-18 Deacons though.

So every twenty or so years?

When you have over 25% of your conference in the Top 12, you aren't the fourth best conference. When 25% of the Top 20 is from your conference, you aren't the fourth best conference.

Having a bunch of mediocre teams doesn't put your conference ahead of one that has 40% of its teams in the Top 25.

Danny Manning 2013-14 Tulsa team
Overall record: 22-13
Conference: 13-3
NCAA tournament second round loss to UCLA

Last edited:
11 and 7 in the ACC....this year ?

Heck I don't see 5 wins....and that's just a random, hopeful wish.

Back