• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore

He sure attacks the rim when he gets a lob or has a clear lane. Hopefully he can continue to develop a drop step and other low post moves that end in dunks or layups.

I am glad we have all reached the conclusion that Doral Moore is indeed a better post option than SJM. Baby steps. :)

The key to Moore getting more touches is a decision by Manning to change the offense by entering the ball to the post. Currently Moore is a third or fourth option and this can only change when the coach decides to run plays/picks to get the ball to the center in the offense.

Now that Crawford has his head back in the game, maybe we will see more passes to Moore.

Wasn't there a rumor circulating earlier in the season that Craw had banged up his shoulder a bit? Perhaps his pre-season prep was hindered by a little talked about minor injury? Might be what has plagued him on his jump shot too? Or am I just dreaming that up? I know about RW and Sarr's hand, but thought there was mention of that.

Wasn't there a rumor circulating earlier in the season that Craw had banged up his shoulder a bit? Perhaps his pre-season prep was hindered by a little talked about minor injury? Might be what has plagued him on his jump shot too? Or am I just dreaming that up? I know about RW and Sarr's hand, but thought there was mention of that.

I don't think it was a rumor. He had surgery, right?

Edited: perhaps I'm misremembering, but I seem to recall a discussion about this over the off season.

I agree completely that the sooner DM realizes the key to the team's success is getting Moore more touches down in the paint and not on pick&rolls @ the top of the key and getting the guards to understand their success hinges on Moore's success down low the quicker this team could actually make some noise. Doral is clearly not TD, but he is not uncoordinated as a couple have accused. Does he make some occasional clumsy mistakes and at times look like he is clueless - yes, but a lot of that is due to him pressing and feeling like he has to prove himself while on the floor. Last year was comical as Moore routinely flat out ran people over or traveled as he wanted to show he deserved PT and knew it was a short leash since DM would only play JC as a 5. I think when Moore sees the coach and the team have confidence in him he will just continue to improve and learn how to let the game come to him as well as how to feed the ball to the others to allow for more open 3s for our guards and trust grows among the players.

As others have alluded I think the hesitation to pass him the ball is concerns with what he will do with it, but Moore is showing he can be trusted and i would hope the guards would reward him by getting him the ball more.

Moore can't handle the ball unless he's right near the basket. If he has to put it on the floor, defenses will adjust to that. The more you force him the ball, the more he will have to do this. This notion that giving him more touches is going to turn us into a serviceable basketball team is folly. He's a spacetaker who can throw it down near the basket. He's slow down the court and away from the ball. Granted, he is not helped at all by a porous perimeter defense that lets guards blow by him.

Sarr looks like he has put muscle on since the summer. Not as skinny as he was and still very athletic. He moves very well.

Moore can't handle the ball unless he's right near the basket. If he has to put it on the floor, defenses will adjust to that. The more you force him the ball, the more he will have to do this. This notion that giving him more touches is going to turn us into a serviceable basketball team is folly. He's a spacetaker who can throw it down near the basket. He's slow down the court and away from the ball. Granted, he is not helped at all by a porous perimeter defense that lets guards blow by him.

Sarr looks like he has put muscle on since the summer. Not as skinny as he was and still very athletic. He moves very well.

He hadn't missed a jumper or his little hook shot all year until the one from near the free throw line. He's not just a dunker. He needs to learn to post up better and getting closer to the basket will help. With reps, it will slow down so he can consider passing out of the post instead of committing to shoot the moment he gets the ball. The same thing happened with Collins last year and by the end of the year, he could pass fairly effectively.
He's still learning on how to use his size but has come a long way since Frosh and Soph years.

Crawford stealing an inbound pass and then immediately hitting a 3 with a dislocated finger was a pretty boss play.

Here is my idea let’s feed the post until teams can take it away. So 5 shots agame is a good use of him? The last 7 games should have been the doral show. We pass up passes to him in transition so we can pass 5 times around the perimeter.

Here is my idea let’s feed the post until teams can take it away. So 5 shots agame is a good use of him? The last 7 games should have been the doral show. We pass up passes to him in transition so we can pass 5 times around the perimeter.

I agree. Perhaps part of the problem is that Doral is much better, more efficient than he was last season. Plus, by playing zone we were able to keep him on the floor more, but the guards are not accustomed to having him for extended periods. Whatever, he must get more shots.

Doral needs to get the ball more, and the earlier in the half-court possession, the better.

All we run is pick and roll. No set plays. If he gets a shot it’s by chance. I’m watching Indiana feed Davis time after time against Duke and wondering why we don’t have set plays for Doral.

The key to Moore getting more touches is a decision by Manning to change the offense by entering the ball to the post. Currently Moore is a third or fourth option and this can only change when the coach decides to run plays/picks to get the ball to the center in the offense.

This. And teams know our offense so well that they are taking away our options at the beginning of many possessions.

Completely agree that we need to get the ball to Doral more, but the reality is he's still struggling to lock out defenders while posting and he's giving up a lot of steals to guards when he tries to gather anything other than a perfect entry pass. The stat sheet might say he hit his first two shots against Illinois, but he dropped a pretty good lob pass toward the bucket and he let a guard knock away another perfectly decent entry pass, both for turnovers, so it was more like 2 for his first 4. There's a reason why Crawford, Moore, Wilby and Chill area all hesitant to throw it his way if it's not a perfect setup.

But damn, if he's going to consistently hit that little turnaround jumper on the block... There's pretty much no defense for that unless you have a 7'3" guy. Hopefully they'll continue to find more ways of getting him the ball in those situations.

Back