• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore

You have to get more mins for your big man averaging 11/8 in only 21 mins/game and more importantly is a defensive clog if you keep him in the paint on D vs. the layup drill we see so often. The foul trouble is greatly exaggerated as the big man averages less than 3 fouls/game and has yet to foul out and only 2 games with 4 fouls and most others he played with 2. You have to risk him fouling out as he brings so much to the floor that no one is really providing until either Sarr or some other big shows they can rebound and be an offensive option as well. Not saying he needs 33-34 mins., but he should not be #7 in mins. played on our team. More like top 3 in the high 20s or low 30s. Might require DM to actually be strategic with his timeouts and use them should fatigue become a factor but Moore is showing he can really be an ACC inside presence we desperately need for both sides of the court.

I shudder to think what Duke will do to us when I saw their game last night playing 3 7 footers with Bagley, Bolden, Carter, and a 6'9" DeLaurier. We could actually get completely shut out on the boards when Moore is on the bench against them.

Moore does have to stay on the floor more. having said that he really isn't part of the offense much, from what i have seen. he gets a lot of junk baskets no more than 2 feet from the basket. he sort of lumbers around until something happens and the defense breaks down...why doesn't he post up more?

Moore does have to stay on the floor more. having said that he really isn't part of the offense much, from what i have seen. he gets a lot of junk baskets no more than 2 feet from the basket. he sort of lumbers around until something happens and the defense breaks down...why doesn't he post up more?

I watched this on Tuesday night and he actually posts up a good bit, we just aren't getting him the ball for whatever reason. His low catch on the Sarr pass in the 2nd half was very impressive and I think he has better hands than we think (perhaps the Georgia Southern final play aside). As the team gets more confidence in him I expect his usage rate to increase as the year goes along.

He posts up a lot. He cuts to the basket a lot. He's open for alley oops a lot. His teammates just don't get him the ball. Part of the problem is that he's clearly only the 4th or 5th option in a guard oriented offense.

He posts up a lot. He cuts to the basket a lot. He's open for alley oops a lot. His teammates just don't get him the ball. Part of the problem is that he's clearly only the 4th or 5th option in a guard oriented offense.

And he's obviously a higher percentage option than a 3. Inside-Out Ball with Doral should make for better 3-point opportunities with defenses having to sag to the post to try and keep Moore in check.

And I'll leave this here: As seems typical of late with Wake basketball, we do not seem to have a true leader on the floor...or on the team. While we played much better against Illinois, I sense some ego issues with this team...an "I need to get mine" mentality. I saw more 'team' out of the defensive side last match, but I want to see more on the offensive end of the floor. That includes getting the ball to Moore more.

He needs to be the 1st option in every half-court offensive set. Now, he must learn how to pass the ball back out and reset when he is doubled or not in position to shoot; but almost every possession should go through him.

I think we should just go to the extreme. Moore is shooting 85% from 2's and not a single person on the team is shooting over 50% from two's (Thompson, Mitchell, Sarr, and Okeke are all right at 50%).

NO MORE TWO'S FROM ANYBODY NOT NAMED DORAL MOORE FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR.

How would that give up more fast break layups?

If we have guards continuously missing layups then the opponent has one less guy in front of them going the other way.

At least with only shooting threes we have guys there for long rebounds/are behind the team breaking away. When Doral is the only one inside we don't need to rebound that much (only misses 15% of the time), and that means we have 4 guys on the perimeter to stop the fast break.

Seems like a win-win.

How would that give up more fast break layups?

If we have guards continuously missing layups then the opponent has one less guy in front of them going the other way.

At least with only shooting threes we have guys there for long rebounds/are behind the team breaking away. When Doral is the only one inside we don't need to rebound that much (only misses 15% of the time), and that means we have 4 guys on the perimeter to stop the fast break.

Seems like a win-win.

You said: "NO MORE TWO'S FROM ANYBODY NOT NAMED DORAL MOORE FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR."

Unless I'm mistaken a fastbreak layup is a two. You said "No More Twos"

Also, if we did that opponents would box Doral out with his man and a weakside defender.

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but I am impressed that Doral catches the ball ready to shoot and does not have to bring the down or dribble in order to get his shot off. Often big men try to dribble and lose the ball or give time for double-teams to setup. He often goes straight up and dunks or shoots his hook shot...which seems to be a good shot for him.

You said: "NO MORE TWO'S FROM ANYBODY NOT NAMED DORAL MOORE FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR."

Unless I'm mistaken a fastbreak layup is a two. You said "No More Twos"

Also, if we did that opponents would box Doral out with his man and a weakside defender.

Sorry, I read yours to mean that we would allow more on defense. My bad.

The pass to the post is frequently available early in each possession before the defense is able to respond. This was true in previous years as well. The guards see it but hesitate to make it, thus allowing the D time to respond and a clean look disappears. Drives me crazy. Watch at your own peril. It might drive you crazy too.

I wonder how much of that is because the staff pushes working the ball around or taking time before you shoot. Since our offense has been so efficient over the past year and a half it may be that the staff wants to slow the game down a bit and that would discourage early shots in the shot clock?

Obviously in my opinion if you can get the ball to an 85% shooter 5 seconds into the shot clock then I want to do it.

The pass to the post is frequently available early in each possession before the defense is able to respond. This was true in previous years as well. The guards see it but hesitate to make it, thus allowing the D time to respond and a clean look disappears. Drives me crazy. Watch at your own peril. It might drive you crazy too.

If he posts up, he needs to practice and roll to a lob. He can give a head or shoulder fake, then roll the other way once his defender leans. The defender almost has to lean to avoid the easiest of lobs.

Whatever we do, he needs to get 8-12 shots/game. That will free up Key and Chaundee for more open shots.

Nobody shoots in the half court set until Doral touches the ball.:D

I wonder how much of that is because the staff pushes working the ball around or taking time before you shoot. Since our offense has been so efficient over the past year and a half it may be that the staff wants to slow the game down a bit and that would discourage early shots in the shot clock?

Obviously in my opinion if you can get the ball to an 85% shooter 5 seconds into the shot clock then I want to do it.

This is a good point, we need to limit the total possessions so that our, shall we say lackluster, man defense won't lead to 80-90 points every game for the opponent. Playing fast and constantly pushing the ball is great and exciting, IF you have the personnel for it, we don't

Back