• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore

His PER is 29.3 this season. For reference, John Collins had a PER of 31.2 for his entire two year career. Insane.

It was pretty obvious that all the tools were there athletic 7-foot big men don't grow on trees

If he slows down on the FT, there's no reason he can't shoot 75%. He's got a good shot and follow through, but he rushes it too much.

I had a kid who did much the same thing. Whether it was me or a teammate, we wouldn't send the ball back to him sooner than a three or five count in practice to make him slow down. After being frustrated and pissed, he got it. I think the same thing could work for Doral.

If he stays squares up and slows down, he could be a very good FT shooter for a big.

In Manning's post game comments he marvelled at Doral's percentage and said we need to get him more touches down low. Then he noted that Doral was a very nice kid off the court but needs to demand the ball on the court. Just my speculation but I wonder if the guards felt like they had to sacrifice their games to feed Collins last year and were trying to get theirs earlier this year, leading to the dysfunction we saw.

I'm guessing they didn't trust him very much earlier this season, but they do now and he's building a rapport with the guards, too, esp BC. It is like he has figured out what to do and BC is seeing it at the same time. And now he's playing within himself, taking and hitting shots within his range, and stopped the young Eric Williams bugaboo of wanting to plow his way through people to the basket for dunk on every touch. And generally playing very well and smart. And he's much better defender than Collins. He really seems to recognize he doesn't have to block every shot, but keep good position and control, and make people shoot over him. I am incredibly impressed with his play. Shoot, he may be in the league next year. Made 16 straight shots. 6-7 last night. Was a force on D and the boards. He is playing REALLY well. Not wanting to get ahead of ourselves, but if Manning puts 2 bigs in the league in 2-3 years, neither of whom were 5 stars, every big ought to seriously look at Wake.

If he slows down on the FT, there's no reason he can't shoot 75%. He's got a good shot and follow through, but he rushes it too much.

I had a kid who did much the same thing. Whether it was me or a teammate, we wouldn't send the ball back to him sooner than a three or five count in practice to make him slow down. After being frustrated and pissed, he got it. I think the same thing could work for Doral.

If he stays squares up and slows down, he could be a very good FT shooter for a big.

Tell you what RJ, if Doral ends up drafted next year, I’ll drop my skepticism that Manning is an especially gifted big man coach. Ie, that he is more than just above average and got lucky with JC.

Not wanting to get ahead of ourselves, but if Manning puts 2 bigs in the league in 2-3 years, neither of whom were 5 stars, every big ought to seriously look at Wake.
Obviously that is true, and I am REALLY pleased with Moore's emergence. But if you're not wanting to get ahead of yourself, you shouldn't, because any talk of Moore to the league anytime soon is exactly that IMO. Let's just let him develop this year through conference play. John Collins was absurdly special.

Doral has had all of the tools to be an NBA center since the day he walked on campus. He lacked conditioning and experience.

Again, I have been watching Wake hoops for many years and project big men don't go for 19/13 and 13/7 in their only two ACC games with 20 plus minutes as a frosh.

His regression last year was confounding. I think he tried to do too much in limited minutes. He is back to playing within himself.

Moore is shooting 84% (38 for 45) from the field through the first 8 games. Give the Big Man the ball.

Tell you what RJ, if Doral ends up drafted next year, I’ll drop my skepticism that Manning is an especially gifted big man coach. Ie, that he is more than just above average and got lucky with JC.

How about all the other bigs Danny coached? It's much, much, much more than JC.

It's logical to be skeptical about other aspects of Danny's coaching, but it's not logical to be skeptical of his coaching of bigs.

It wasn’t clear for many here.

I think it was clear for most people. They just had questions about whether the light would come on or whether Manning’s hand in Collins’ development was overstated.

The issue with Moore has always appeared to be a reps/confidence issue. The crazy thing is I still think he has a lot of room for improvement.

How about all the other bigs Danny coached? It's much, much, much more than JC.

It's logical to be skeptical about other aspects of Danny's coaching, but it's not logical to be skeptical of his coaching of bigs.

1000x this.

The message to Moore and the guards going forward should be to get Moore ten touches before the second TV timeout. Crawford has done a great job finding Moore for lobs. He makes those look easy but the ability to see that pass and throw it where only Moore can reach it is special. I would like to see us set Moore up for that jump hook over his left shoulder.

A 7-footer who doesn't put the ball down when he gets it is a gift to a PG. Moore looks good even when he puts the ball on the floor to get better position.

He's come quite far from the GA Southern game, maybe his hands are not as bad as we thought in that game. And when he couldn't stay on the floor for more than 2 min because of either conditioning and fouls I think getting him to this point was a dream we didn't know if it would come true.

In Manning's post game comments he marvelled at Doral's percentage and said we need to get him more touches down low. Then he noted that Doral was a very nice kid off the court but needs to demand the ball on the court. Just my speculation but I wonder if the guards felt like they had to sacrifice their games to feed Collins last year and were trying to get theirs earlier this year, leading to the dysfunction we saw.

I still believe that the guy with the most control over how many times Moore touches the ball is Manning. He controls the offense and all he has to do is tell the guards to throw the ball inside to Moore or come sit beside the coaches on the bench.

He's come quite far from the GA Southern game, maybe his hands are not as bad as we thought in that game. And when he couldn't stay on the floor for more than 2 min because of either conditioning and fouls I think getting him to this point was a dream we didn't know if it would come true.

Some very weak foul calls in that game.

Back