• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore

How about all the other bigs Danny coached? It's much, much, much more than JC.

It's logical to be skeptical about other aspects of Danny's coaching, but it's not logical to be skeptical of his coaching of bigs.

You’re right dude. Highly ranked big men that go to Kansas don’t usually end up in the NBA. Only when Manning is an assistant coach.

You’re right dude. Highly ranked big men that go to Kansas don’t usually end up in the NBA. Only when Manning is an assistant coach.

You couldn't be more wrong about this.

The Morris brothers were ranked $29 and #49. Each ended up at the end of the lottery. Each has repeatedly credited Danny.
Cole Aldrich and Thomas Robinson were each around #30 or above coming into KU. Each were lottery picks.

Jeff Withey was in the 30s/40s. He has been in the NBA for four years so far.

Each of these players achieved beyond their projections after being coached by Danny.

Dinos improved greatly under Danny. JC became the #19 pick.

I don't know what your criteria are, but seven bigs that become pros in a decade of coaching is exceptional. Four lottery picks, a National Player of the Year and another Top 20 pick with NONE in the Top 25 of their HS classes shows you are at the top of your profession.

It's been quite obvious you question a majority of what Danny does, but you are way off base in not accepting the fact that Danny has an outstanding resume for coaching bigs.

Although it's only been eight games, the only way you can't see and admit massive improvement of Doral is because you are fighting saying anything positive.

You couldn't be more wrong about this.

The Morris brothers were ranked $29 and #49. Each ended up at the end of the lottery. Each has repeatedly credited Danny.
Cole Aldrich and Thomas Robinson were each around #30 or above coming into KU. Each were lottery picks.

Jeff Withey was in the 30s/40s. He has been in the NBA for four years so far.

Each of these players achieved beyond their projections after being coached by Danny.

Dinos improved greatly under Danny. JC became the #19 pick.

I don't know what your criteria are, but seven bigs that become pros in a decade of coaching is exceptional. Four lottery picks, a National Player of the Year and another Top 20 pick with NONE in the Top 25 of their HS classes shows you are at the top of your profession.

It's been quite obvious you question a majority of what Danny does, but you are way off base in not accepting the fact that Danny has an outstanding resume for coaching bigs.

Although it's only been eight games, the only way you can't see and admit massive improvement of Doral is because you are fighting saying anything positive.

I didn’t say I don’t accept or see a massive improvement in Doral. I said that if he ends up in the NBA I’ll concede that Danny is an exceptional big man coach.

I didn’t say I don’t accept or see a massive improvement in Doral. I said that if he ends up in the NBA I’ll concede that Danny is an exceptional big man coach.

HOW DARE you say getting further evidence of something makes you more likely to believe it!!!!!

KU post players drafted in the 1st round from 2010-2013: 4
KU post players drafted in the 1st round from 2014-2017: 1

KU All-American post players from 2010-2013: 4
KU All-American post-players from 2014-present: 1

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/551937190889259008
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/552136121254436864
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/552160750454972417
https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/8840102035
https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/159129595646451713

How about ALL the rest?

You are a scientist. There is significant empirical data. But you are willfully ignoring it to center on your emotional concepts.

“I’ll belive climate change is real when my house in Raleigh is beachfront property.” Skeptical =/= rational.

Fuck that. There is far more reasonable doubt and less evidence that manning is a good coach than there is for climate change.

Your entire argument for maintaining a level head and not panic after the awful start to the season was about uncertainty and went something like "We don't know enough yet to fire Manning, we'll know at the end of this season, don't panic yet..." And, here I am expressing uncertainty about Manning's reputation as a big man coach and you equate me with a climate denier. What's that phrase...Straw something...

Last edited:
KU post players drafted in the 1st round from 2010-2013: 4
KU post players drafted in the 1st round from 2014-2017: 1

KU All-American post players from 2010-2013: 4
KU All-American post-players from 2014-present: 1

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/551937190889259008
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/552136121254436864
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/552160750454972417
https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/8840102035
https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/159129595646451713

Thank you. This is helpful.

Doral has played much better this season than I ever thought he would. I'm eating crow on Doral.

How about ALL the rest?

You are a scientist. There is significant empirical data. But you are willfully ignoring it to center on your emotional concepts.

Dude, I came here to admit that I am impressed with Doral and admit that my skepticism on Manning is looking incorrect and that if Doral continues with this new and improved trajectory I’d abandon the position all together and you respond with temrs like illogical and moronic. Thanks.

Dude, I came here to admit that I am impressed with Doral and admit that my skepticism on Manning is looking incorrect and that if Doral continues with this new and improved trajectory I’d abandon the position all together and you respond with temrs like illogical and moronic. Thanks.

WHY DO YOU HATE DORAL MOORE? AND LOGIC?

And, here I am expressing uncertainty about Manning's reputation as a big man coach and you equate me with a climate denier. What's that phrase...Straw something...

Not a strawman.

Fuck that. There is far more reasonable doubt and less evidence that manning is a good coach than there is for climate change.

Your entire argument for maintaining a level head and not panic after the awful start to the season was about uncertainty and went something like "We don't know enough yet to fire Manning, we'll know at the end of this season, don't panic yet..." And, here I am expressing uncertainty about Manning's reputation as a big man coach and you equate me with a climate denier. What's that phrase...Straw something...

I wasn’t equating you with a climate denier, simply using an extreme example to prove my point.

And we do know enough to not fire Manning, we simply don’t know enough to know whether he can compete for championships. We won’t know that until sometime next season.

As to Manning as a big man coach, what evidence has led to your skepticism about his ability to identify and develop talented big men?

I think Doral is really close to having his wind. I have noticed that Manning is keeping him in when he used to pull him when he sees Doral huffing and puffing. And I got the feeling on at least one possession, Manning wanted Wilbekin or Craw to throw it into Doral anyway. Doral got pushed out of the post a little further than he would have if he wasn't gassed, but I think it was a lesson the staff was trying to teach Doral that he can keep going when his lungs are burning. That give it 30 seconds or so (hopefully 15) and his lungs will recalibrate and he'll be okay.

This type of body learning comes intuitively for most elite athletes but not all. Doral is in the Not All camp. That's okay. It just means it has to be taught and the only way to teach it is to get him to that burn moment and force him to play through it. It is tricky because you don't want him to collapse either. Blood does take longer to get from heart to hand in a 7 footer than it does me.

AGAIN, what about the rest? What about the guys at KU whom he took from maybe making the NBA into being LOTTERY PICKS?

Danny's career didn't start at Wake. His players at Kansas greatly outperformed their projections. If it is was one guy there, you might have a point, but it was many in a short period.

You are doing the basest cherry-picking.

I think Doral is really close to having his wind. I have noticed that Manning is keeping him in when he used to pull him when he sees Doral huffing and puffing. And I got the feeling on at least one possession, Manning wanted Wilbekin or Craw to throw it into Doral anyway. Doral got pushed out of the post a little further than he would have if he wasn't gassed, but I think it was a lesson the staff was trying to teach Doral that he can keep going when his lungs are burning. That give it 30 seconds or so (hopefully 15) and his lungs will recalibrate and he'll be okay.

This type of body learning comes intuitively for most elite athletes but not all. Doral is in the Not All camp. That's okay. It just means it has to be taught and the only way to teach it is to get him to that burn moment and force him to play through it. It is tricky because you don't want him to collapse either. Blood does take longer to get from heart to hand in a 7 footer than it does me.

Along these lines, Doral is still a little hesitant, because of all the fouls he used to get setting up in the post. He's figured part of this out. He hasn't become completely comfortable but is becoming close.

I wasn’t equating you with a climate denier, simply using an extreme example to prove my point.

And we do know enough to not fire Manning, we simply don’t know enough to know whether he can compete for championships. We won’t know that until sometime next season.

As to Manning as a big man coach, what evidence has led to your skepticism about his ability to identify and develop talented big men?

My starting position is skeptcism and the evidence should disprove the Null. I don't think there is enough evidence to support the hypothesis that he is exceptional. It is possible that he got really lucky with JC, like Odom did with Duncan, and that all his other protegees performed, more or less, as expected. It is not unusual for a 6'10" 30th ranked player out of high school to end up in the NBA. The fact that Manning helped half a dozen 6'10" or greater, 50th ranked or higher guys get to the NBA doesn't blow me away as amazing.

AGAIN, what about the rest? What about the guys at KU whom he took from maybe making the NBA into being LOTTERY PICKS?

Danny's career didn't start at Wake. His players at Kansas greatly outperformed their projections. If it is was one guy there, you might have a point, but it was many in a short period.

You are doing the basest cherry-picking.

Provide me with data on how they outperformed their projections and you'll win me over. >50 ranked tall guys ending up in the NBA does not surprise me. Even Loren Woods ended up in the NBA for a few years after a pretty abysmal college career.

Back