• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore

HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!

Doral Moore had more shot attempts against Georgia Tech than any of his teammates.

HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!

Doral Moore had more shot attempts against Georgia Tech than any of his teammates.

I think the guards did a better job getting him the ball, but I think he had a handful of put backs on misses. I think we got him the ball in transition, our guards struggle in the half court.

Doral is fantastic at dunking the basketball, and there have certainly been long stretches where our guards haven't focused on him enough this year. At the same time, the narrative that we can simply dump it to Doral in the post more often and results will follow is pretty flawed. He's got decent touch but still struggles at everything else. He doesn't pass well out of the post, he doesn't seal his man well on post-ups which leads to a lot of tipped/stolen entry passes, and he routinely gets pushed and ends up taking a harder shot than necessary on jumpers. Plus he's awful at the line. For every nice looking baseline hook he hits he probably misses, loses, or gets fouled and misses on 3 more opportunities. Plus when he's missing a jump hook there's nobody to rebound it because we don't have any 4's on the team.

He's lethal rolling to the basket after a good screen, or rotating behind the basket on the weak side and sliding to the rim - anything near the bucket is dunkable for him. But when conditioning is an issue you end up with a lot of improperly set picks with bad timing, late rolls to the basket, and poor rebounding positioning late in games. You can't "run the offense through Moore" at this point, but if you can throw a variety of screens at any team without a true 7 footer he's almost an automatic double-double.

Next year he'll add some more strength and weight to his frame, his post moves will probably be more polished and easier to connect on when he's not getting pushed around as much. I could see him as a 16/14 guy or better and worth a late draft pick. He'll be the kind of NBA player that disappears on a roster for 3 years before becoming a serviceable backup center for as long as he's healthy.

Doral is fantastic at dunking the basketball, and there have certainly been long stretches where our guards haven't focused on him enough this year. At the same time, the narrative that we can simply dump it to Doral in the post more often and results will follow is pretty flawed. He's got decent touch but still struggles at everything else. He doesn't pass well out of the post, he doesn't seal his man well on post-ups which leads to a lot of tipped/stolen entry passes, and he routinely gets pushed and ends up taking a harder shot than necessary on jumpers. Plus he's awful at the line. For every nice looking baseline hook he hits he probably misses, loses, or gets fouled and misses on 3 more opportunities. Plus when he's missing a jump hook there's nobody to rebound it because we don't have any 4's on the team.

He's lethal rolling to the basket after a good screen, or rotating behind the basket on the weak side and sliding to the rim - anything near the bucket is dunkable for him. But when conditioning is an issue you end up with a lot of improperly set picks with bad timing, late rolls to the basket, and poor rebounding positioning late in games. You can't "run the offense through Moore" at this point, but if you can throw a variety of screens at any team without a true 7 footer he's almost an automatic double-double.

Next year he'll add some more strength and weight to his frame, his post moves will probably be more polished and easier to connect on when he's not getting pushed around as much. I could see him as a 16/14 guy or better and worth a late draft pick. He'll be the kind of NBA player that disappears on a roster for 3 years before becoming a serviceable backup center for as long as he's healthy.

I agree and love Doral as much as you do. We all agree he's great and let's get him the ball! Well done young man!

Game today shows why everyone agrees we want to run the offense through Doral

Perfect example of my earlier post - think Doral had 11 buckets with 8 dunks a 2 lay-ins. 1/6 or so from 2 feet and further out and got blocked 3 times by Yurtseven. But STILL had a career high and was dominant. His ceiling is ridiculous.

Doral finally has enough shot attempts to show up in the national rankings for shooting percentage. He will be top 5 next time that stat is released.

Pretty much just rooting for Doral double doubles the rest of the season. Go get it big fella! Because we sure know manning doesn't know how to get the ball to you with the offense.

We should have figured out a way to use Moore with Collins last year like we should have done with Collins and Thomas.

We should have figured out a way to use Moore with Collins last year like we should have done with Collins and Thomas.

Which one would you have played more than 5 feet from the basket at the PF slot?
Which one would you have guard the other team's four?

Which one would you have played more than 5 feet from the basket at the PF slot?
Which one would you have guard the other team's four?

Exactly. In Manning's tenure, Devin/Collins/Moore combined to attempt one 3 pointer ever. They're all centers and got the minutes they should have. You're gonna put Dinos on the bench more last year so you can move Collins out of his natural position for last year's version of Moore? It's genius in the sense that we never would have made the tournament and everyone probably stays I guess...

Not sure why people can't just accept that these guys actually improved.

Exactly. In Manning's tenure, Devin/Collins/Moore combined to attempt one 3 pointer ever. They're all centers and got the minutes they should have. You're gonna put Dinos on the bench more last year so you can move Collins out of his natural position for last year's version of Moore? It's genius in the sense that we never would have made the tournament and everyone probably stays I guess...

Not sure why people can't just accept that these guys actually improved.

It's not just about hitting 3's. It's about defense and rebounding. When Moore tries to block a shot, there is no one to rebound. Figure out an offensive system that plays to your strengths. 4 out, 1 in is not the only way to play basketball, as our record under Manning proves.

Collins. That was easy.

So you would bench the second best returning 38% three point volume (135 attempts) shooter in favor of a freshman foul machine with no range? On a team with few shooters?

Or you would have a gassed out Doral Moore playing C, with Collins at PF and again, one of the top 3 pt shooters on the team on the bench?

It's not just about hitting 3's. It's about defense and rebounding. When Moore tries to block a shot, there is no one to rebound. Figure out an offensive system that plays to your strengths. 4 out, 1 in is not the only way to play basketball, as our record under Manning proves.

Last season, Dinos was a pretty good second rebounder. 6.1 per game.

So you would bench the second best returning 38% three point volume (135 attempts) shooter in favor of a freshman foul machine with no range? On a team with few shooters?

Or you would have a gassed out Doral Moore playing C, with Collins at PF and again, one of the top 3 pt shooters on the team on the bench?

Would I have started Collins over Dinos? Every day of the week. Even on Tuesdays. But I would hate to jeopardize that 2-16 record we had. You and DM's way must be better.

Doral is really good. Big men often take time to develop and grow into their bodies. If he keeps up his conditioning, he’s going to keep getting better. And with some help from a PF who can do anything, it will help him even more. You don’t even have to defend Thompson now.

Dino’s would have really helped Moore this year. I really don’t see playing Collins and Moore together as being a very good idea. Maybe some, but Collins was incredibly strong at the C, and had to play there, even though he could also play the 4. He was just too good at the 5 down low in college to not keep him there. He was damn near unstoppable.

Back