• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We should hire John Currie as our next AD

I'm trying to better understand the exact skill set needed to be a good AD. I'm having trouble. Connections certainly help. Was that Currie's problem (in addition to serving a shitty set of fans and alums)?

Currie already knew everyone at UT.

I'm not sure either siff, but Wellman's been at WF over 20 years. I assume that's a lot longer than most by a long shot. Wouldn't surprise me if he gained some additional responsibilities after being here for so long.

A lot has been done to add/improve facilities since the turn of the millennium. Field turf, Deacon tower, video board, Joel, indoor practice facility, tennis complex, golf complex, other practice facilities, weight rooms, locker rooms, etc. BOT, president and Wellman seem to be the people that worked together on the big decisions there. I have no idea if that's exactly how it happened, but it makes the most sense.

Currie already knew everyone at UT.

Yes, he already knew everyone at UT having already been there as an Assoc Ad the years before going to K State. What he ran into was a political buzzsaw trying to submarine his every move--Phil Fulmer wanted to be the AD 8 months ago and the Haslam's, who own the Cleveland Browns, wanted to be involved in every decision of hiring the UT football coach. None of that co-existed so Haslam apparently started problems and got people to start the social media fire storms on Monday. After that it was nobody Currie could get that was going to be good enough. Then what I heard happened last night was that he went underground and went after Mike Leach and that is exactly who both Fulmer & Haslam wanted--so to win the battle, Currie was shown the door this morning.

We shall see if Fulmer now is named the AD & they get Leach or go after Sumlin?

Whoa, Currie was there when I was and had the same major and minor. I suspect we had some classes together. Looking at the old yearbooks, he looks kind of familiar, but in the way that every white guy at Wake looks familiar. He was apparently a DKE, and I didn't get out to their house much, particularly after my freshman year.

Thanks for a decent two minute chuckle. And so true.

I'm not sure either siff, but Wellman's been at WF over 20 years. I assume that's a lot longer than most by a long shot. Wouldn't surprise me if he gained some additional responsibilities after being here for so long.

A lot has been done to add/improve facilities since the turn of the millennium. Field turf, Deacon tower, video board, Joel, indoor practice facility, tennis complex, golf complex, other practice facilities, weight rooms, locker rooms, etc. BOT, president and Wellman seem to be the people that worked together on the big decisions there. I have no idea if that's exactly how it happened, but it makes the most sense.

I remember at halftime of the WFU-Oregon Weedeater Bowl in 1992 they were interviewing the new WFU AD Ron Wellman.

I’m going for Mike Buddie when Wellman goes. Currie screwed up in about 10 different ways over the past 2 weeks. I hope he gets his $5 million buyout though and a job at another school.

It's going to take some time for Currie rehab this very public and very deep fuck-up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wake Forest needs an AD with more testicles than Ron Wellman, not less.

I’m going for Mike Buddie when Wellman goes. Currie screwed up in about 10 different ways over the past 2 weeks. I hope he gets his $5 million buyout though and a job at another school.

I’ve been all in on Buddie for a while now. He would be great for us. Played pro sports, great with fundraising, humble and relatable dude. Also, who are we kidding? That dude is man pretty.

I’ve been all in on Buddie for a while now. He would be great for us. Played pro sports, great with fundraising, humble and relatable dude. Also, who are we kidding? That dude is man pretty.

I think Wake can do a little better than someone with a couple of years at Furman.

If he wasn’t a Wake guy would he even be on your radar screen?

Currie is 10x more qualified that Buddie at this point. If picking between the two, it’s not even close.

I think Wake can do a little better than someone with a couple of years at Furman.

Currie is 10x more qualified that Buddie at this point. If picking between the two, it’s not even close.

Years on the job isn't the only qualification.

Buddie played an integral role in the Clawson hire. Also hired a dude at Furman who swiftly revamped their scuffling FB program.

Who of note has Currie hired? Bruce Weber? LOL

Mike Buddie. He had a pretty significant role in hiring Clawson before he left for the Furman job. He would be an outstanding AD at Wake.

Great guy. But raised in the shadow of wellman. Wouldn’t be bad. But, Currie is light years ahead.

Yes, he already knew everyone at UT having already been there as an Assoc Ad the years before going to K State. What he ran into was a political buzzsaw trying to submarine his every move--Phil Fulmer wanted to be the AD 8 months ago and the Haslam's, who own the Cleveland Browns, wanted to be involved in every decision of hiring the UT football coach. None of that co-existed so Haslam apparently started problems and got people to start the social media fire storms on Monday. After that it was nobody Currie could get that was going to be good enough. Then what I heard happened last night was that he went underground and went after Mike Leach and that is exactly who both Fulmer & Haslam wanted--so to win the battle, Currie was shown the door this morning.

We shall see if Fulmer now is named the AD & they get Leach or go after Sumlin?

You'd think the other big swinging dick donors would tell the brain trust in charge of the Cleveland Browns to fuck off when it comes to making football-related decisions.

Currie fucked up the Tennessee job. I don't care how much wasn't his fault. K-State fans hate him and now Tennessee fans hate him. He may be good at building facilities, but we're in a good spot there. I don't want him anywhere near our athletic program.

Well we aren’t going to be hiring an AD this year, so this is kind of a moot point. Buddie had some really good years at Wake supervising things like Baseball and IIRC Soccer too.

Back