• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We should hire John Currie as our next AD

Know someone on the UT Athletic Board. Last year he gave me the rundown of what happened and it was Fulmer angling to get the AD job. The chancellor was the problem and was ultimately fired. My friend loves Currie and told me today that it is a great hire. Keep in mind that he had Mike Leach lined up for UT - and instead the ended up with Pruitt.

Know someone on the UT Athletic Board. Last year he gave me the rundown of what happened and it was Fulmer angling to get the AD job. The chancellor was the problem and was ultimately fired. My friend loves Currie and told me today that it is a great hire. Keep in mind that he had Mike Leach lined up for UT - and instead the ended up with Pruitt.

Interesting.

Currie literally made two hires that were better than the one Fulmer made. In one coaching search.

Love how they are forcing Currie into pics with Wellman to diffuse his disaster. That’s fine, enjoy your pics Hatch. Shits about to get real.

Currie and Wellman are buds. Expect a formal pardon for the basketball disaster.

Reactions: D4L
Currie and Wellman are buds. Expect a formal pardon for the basketball disaster.

I don't know if they are "buds" but I do worry a little about the way Currie has been singing Wellman's praises. Hopefully he is just being nice. I would hate to think that Wellman has that much influence on him.

I don't know if they are "buds" but I do worry a little about the way Currie has been singing Wellman's praises. Hopefully he is just being nice. I would hate to think that Wellman has that much influence on him.

do you really expect him to say negative things publicly before he's even started the job? This is PR101.

Ron Wellman gave John Currie his entry job into college sports administration. Wellman is one of the ADs with the most seniority. He is retiring. Currie would have nothing to gain and much to lose if he doesn't act and speak nice things about Wellman.

There is much to like in Wellman's 27 year tenure at Wake. There are a few things that have not gone well. Some on here are blinded by that which has gone very badly and cannot see that Wellman has Wake athletics overall in a much better place now than it was in when he started the job. Celebrate Wellman's service and retirement.

John Currie was a student at Wake from 1989 to 1993, and worked at Wake for seven years after that. Trust that he remembers what the Joel looked like and sounded like in those days. And that he understands that a basketball program getting national prominence in a good way would be a strong positive for Wake. I trust Currie to know what sports are in need of "aggressive action" and which just need to continue to flourish.

Ron Wellman gave John Currie his entry job into college sports administration. Wellman is one of the ADs with the most seniority. He is retiring. Currie would have nothing to gain and much to lose if he doesn't act and speak nice things about Wellman.

There is much to like in Wellman's 27 year tenure at Wake. There are a few things that have not gone well. Some on here are blinded by that which has gone very badly and cannot see that Wellman has Wake athletics overall in a much better place now than it was in when he started the job. Celebrate Wellman's service and retirement.

John Currie was a student at Wake from 1989 to 1993, and worked at Wake for seven years after that. Trust that he remembers what the Joel looked like and sounded like in those days. And that he understands that a basketball program getting national prominence in a good way would be a strong positive for Wake. I trust Currie to know what sports are in need of "aggressive action" and which just need to continue to flourish.

Hatch and Wellman were "trusted" with the same tasks and they lit 40 million dollars on fire not to mention the future payout to manning at lost revenue at basketball games the last 10 years plus the arrogance with which it was done. A giant apology for the gross negligence displayed for the last decade would be appropriate. Everyone makes mistakes, but Wellman and Hatch have never admitted to their part in the shit show that is wake basketball. If Wake is to move forward rather than laud Wellman today, an apology would go a long way. No one is holding their breath.

The irony is that Buddie so far has followed DR's template of inside information with his hires while Currie has not. Buddie's football coach was a former long-time assistant at Furman, and his basketball coach was promoted from assistant coach. Currie meanwhile has hired / attempted to hire coaches who are complete outsiders to both him and the program. The only exception being Schiano who had interviewed with the Browns (and therefore with the Haslems, UT mega-boosters).

Did you see where Currie said RE: basketball “the last few years hasn’t been what we aspire to.”

We have been waiting on Wellman for 10 years to say that. He never would. Own your failures and move on.

Did you see where Currie said RE: basketball “the last few years hasn’t been what we aspire to.”

We have been waiting on Wellman for 10 years to say that. He never would. Own your failures and move on.

I have no idea if John Currie will make a great AD at Wake Forest. But, based upon his remarks today, he appears about a million times more personable and approachable than Ron Wellman.

I like the guy. He has the "likeable" factor.

It was very clear Fullmer was going to kill whatever hookers it took to get the AD job. I'm confident there will be a book written about that saga at some point

I have no idea if John Currie will make a great AD at Wake Forest. But, based upon his remarks today, he appears about a million times more personable and approachable than Ron Wellman.

I like the guy. He has the "likeable" factor.

I only could watch the first 5 mins of the press conference but Wellman came off as likable to me

I only could watch the first 5 mins of the press conference but Wellman came off as likable to me

Well he spoke for 25 minutes so you'd probably change your mind after awhile.

27 years of evidence, so let's form our opinions off five minutes at a presser. Sounds about right

Leaving out the basketball disaster that Wellman created, he was the one that hired Elrod and convinced Clawson to trust him.

John Currie is a home run hire as an AD, hes also a Wake alumni. The guy is gonna bust his ass to get the job done. From people i talk to hes relentless, is respected by fellow ADs, hes bright and is very plugged in to college athletics.

Back