• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serious: Looking for Christian Facebook posts

TM: Thanks be to God for bold and decisive leadership from President Trump. The United States should and will stand by Israel even if we stand alone. Jerusalem is the eternal capital of Israel and I'm proud that our embassy will be moving there.

DD: Revelation 3:9
DD: Revelation 2:9 makes it crystal clear.
TM: I stand with Israel sorry you don't
KH: I Stand With Israel! 100%
DD: The Israel of God are believers in Jesus Christ. The group of people who use the name "Israel" to manipulate people don't qualify.

Last edited:
No, I'm not interested in people "misusing" verses.

I'm looking for examples of individuals (potentially those who ID as Christian) making appeals to others to submit to prayer, submit to God's plan, or stay out of political discussions for other religious reasons. Specifically online.

I've looked through my social networks, but I just don't follow many vocal Christians.

From my draft abstract: Christians who oppose the ideological position of a political candidate (or political policy) and open up their stance to criticism on social networks sometimes find equal and opposite responses from individuals in their network. This discourse may take the form of Bible verses, televangelist clips, or personal appeals that encourage prayer over protest. I argue that these posts encourage a rhetoric of submission among politically-active Christians.

I didn't post this in the Tunnels because I'm just trying to gather some artifacts here. I want to see trends in appeals. I'm not making an argument in this space.

Interesting. Just curious. Some of my most "religious" friends are extremely mute on political subjects. When they do post, it's usually "I'm not looking to debate, but how about (Insert some hot button political issue)" When reasoned replies start coming in, they go back to "Not trying to fire anyone up or looking for a debate".

So to your abstract, I definitely have noticed anti protest, or anti confrontation from those individuals. I haven't seen much of the call to prayer and bible versus to submit.

Here's a couple I found by perusing a friends status.

Praying for all of the families of those innocent lives lost at the hands of an evil man. Also, praying for those injured and fighting for their lives at this very moment.
Looking forward to the day when..."He will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign Lord will wipe away the tears from all faces..." Isaiah 25:8a

This after hurricane:
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea....When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is DRAWING NEAR.”
- Luke 21:25-28

"Pay to all what is due them—taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, RESPECT TO WHOM RESPECT IS DUE, HONOR TO WHOM HONOR IS DUE".
Romans 13:7

I don't know if this one helps with the project, but it's a pretty solid burn:

Gay+marriage_dd7198_4549763.jpg

Shouldn’t you have found the evidence before you made your conclusion?

What are you implying?

I'm making an argument that these posts share similarities with John Milbank's "radical orthodoxy" school of thought. It's not an experiment. I know the posts exist.

He’s implying you can’t write an abstract before you conduct a study, as an abstract by definition contains the results of the study.

I thought it was a hypothesis.

While I won’t claim to understand all of what you’re pursuing, I will say that Christians are instructed to be humble and submit ourselves to others

I thought it was a hypothesis.

While I won’t claim to understand all of what you’re pursuing, I will say that Christians are instructed to be humble and submit ourselves to others

I thought it was just the wives that were supposed to submit :confused:

Don't have any screenshots because it was a year ago, but around election time, I saw a lost of posts quoting Romans 13 about submitting to the government from people speaking against protests, etc.

I have a lot more anecdotes if you're interested, but for your purposes it would just be hearsay and probably not helpful to an academic paper.

Cherry picked quotes from random people shouldn't be helpful either.

Ph, in how many more ways can you attempt to derail a thread?

I'll indulge you because this is borderline abusive and I think shit like this should be called out.

"Cherry picked" quotes are helpful because they illustrate that these posts DO occur on social networks. As IaT correctly points out, they're "visualizations to illustrate" that these rhetorical appeals do in fact appear online. That's it. I had trouble finding it on my feed, but I've proved this point due to the contributions of some kind posters.

I love how three people have assumed that they know enough about my paper idea to levy methodological critiques when I'm still gathering data. Thanks to all who have sent helpful material. I've learned my lesson about asking for help here.

Why don't you just look on Christian Facebook ?

Back