• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serious: Looking for Christian Facebook posts

Kory

Reaction score
Serious research question:

Looking for screenshots of Facebook or Twitter conversations where two (or more) Christians are discussing a political issue by using Bible quotes OR spiritual appeals to silence one another.

ex. such and such scripture tells us to pray, please don't criticize this political position...

PM is fine. Pos rep for help.

source/relevant reading: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...bandon-or-protest_us_591bbc72e4b021dd5a828feb

Weak article. That's not the cause. It's the symptom. White evangelicals weren't posting that stuff when Obama was President.

Not interested in debating the article. Looking for similar artifacts.

This isn't what you're looking for, but I heard such talk quite a bit growing up in black churches during the Reagan/Bush era. It was prayer from the position of helplessness, not support.

This isn't what you're looking for, but I heard such talk quite a bit growing up in black churches during the Reagan/Bush era. It was prayer from the position of helplessness, not support.

Good that things got so much better under Clinton/Obama...halleluiah!

Good that things got so much better under Clinton/Obama...halleluiah!
[/B]

Things got better for everybody under Clinton and Obama. Look it up.

Maybe so, but if it was helpless/hopeless under Bush & Reagan, how in the world does anybody even have the will and courage to get out of bed under the current guy we've got in there?

"During Clinton's tenure, Washington slashed funding for public housing by $17 billion (a reduction of 61 percent) and boosted corrections by $19 billion (an increase of 171 percent), 'effectively making the construction of prisons the nation's main housing program for the urban poor.'"

Didn't take long for this thread to need to be pushed to the Tunnels.

Yeah, I thought I was pretty clear about the point of this thread, but damn.

sent you a PM.

Not sure if these are what you're looking for:

RnUJXkE.png

ZoajY8k.jpg

(From a quick Imgur search)

He's looking for people using verse to oppose each other. The unicorn here is going to be the left leaning Christian. I do have one, maybe even two, people on FB that are both liberal and somewhat scholarly with the bible. I'll look over their timelines.

I have a smart, left-leaning Christian colleague (wake MA) who consistently facilitates conversations with his very conservative Christian friends and relatives about controversial topics. I don't know how he does it, but it impresses me.

What are you trying to find? People misusing bible verses?

No, I'm not interested in people "misusing" verses.

I'm looking for examples of individuals (potentially those who ID as Christian) making appeals to others to submit to prayer, submit to God's plan, or stay out of political discussions for other religious reasons. Specifically online.

I've looked through my social networks, but I just don't follow many vocal Christians.

From my draft abstract: Christians who oppose the ideological position of a political candidate (or political policy) and open up their stance to criticism on social networks sometimes find equal and opposite responses from individuals in their network. This discourse may take the form of Bible verses, televangelist clips, or personal appeals that encourage prayer over protest. I argue that these posts encourage a rhetoric of submission among politically-active Christians.

I didn't post this in the Tunnels because I'm just trying to gather some artifacts here. I want to see trends in appeals. I'm not making an argument in this space.

Back