• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report on the Army Black Knight USMA

May not be rational, but not that uncommon for a solid college player to go pro even if he is unlikely to play in the NBA, at least not right off the bat. Melo Trimble is an example. He went pro after his junior year at MD, and unlike his freshman year, it was the consensus opinion that he would not be drafted. Trimble wasn't drafted, but he is playing in the D League, getting paid and pursuing his NBA dream. Same with Nigel Williams Goss from Gonzaga (a late second round pick now playing in Serbia), and Isiah Briscoe out KY who went undrafted last year. Some college players want to get paid to play basketball even if it means that the NBA is not paying them.

Trimble was an undersized combo guard who got slightly worse each year in college and lost his PG duties to a Freshman.

Williams-Goss wasn’t going to get anymore exposure, better or worse, than he got last year. He also would have been 23 at the start of this season (Crawford will be 21 for most of next season).

Briscoe: as a general rule, if you are still at UK as a junior someone better than you is starting as a freshman.

I get that it makes sense in some cases, but not any that apply to Crawford. He’s young, has gotten better each year (we’ll see if that holds true this year), is more of a true point than Briscoe or Trimble, and will have a team capable of getting him a ton of exposure next year.

Levy is probably a good comp, although I would hope Melo has a higher ceiling than Levy.

Averaged 7 PPG and 6 RPG in 125 games, and 10 and 8 as a junior.

Not sure what happened but he regressed as a senior in pretty much every statistical category.

You underestimate Levy. He was an all-acc defender and an elite wing rebounder. I think Melo would be fortunate to match Levy's career, it's unrealistic to expect a higher ceiling for him.

Exactly. Levy was a "poor man's" AFA. If Melo can do what Levy did, that's fantastic.

You underestimate Levy. He was an all-acc defender and an elite wing rebounder. I think Melo would be fortunate to match Levy's career, it's unrealistic to expect a higher ceiling for him.

TITCR. Levy was a starter and significant contributor on a team that won 25 games. If Eggleston approaches half the player that Levy was, we will all be ectastic.

He was 6-9 I would hope he could rebound at a decent clip. I hope he can be as good as Levy and put up better stats offensively.

He was 6-9 I would hope he could rebound at a decent clip. I hope he can be as good as Levy and put up better stats offensively.

If Melo is ever the defensive player Levy was, he'll be a huge get.

I remember watching a Wake game with a buddy of mine who wasn't from Wake. He laughed and said, "does the skinny guy cover every position?"

Last edited:
If Melo is ever the defensive player Levy was, he'll be a huge get.

I remember a Wake game with a buddy of mine who wasn't from Wake. He laughed and said, "does the skinny guy cover every position?"

I remember him as a very good rebounder too.

In Manning's Army post game comments about who gets minutes, he made a point to emphasize the importance of rebounding and defense. He has consistently stated those are the skills most in need of improvement this year. Maybe Melo has listened and sees an opportunity for more PT. Just a thought.

Back