• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

California fires

Deacon923

Scooter Banks
Reaction score
California is a tinderbox. Was there all week and the newest fire was just a few miles from the office. Some of my colleagues had to evacuate last night, more may have to clear out today. Fire started at 1120am and burned 4,600 acres by the evening. The air is so dry, it makes your throat hurt. Flying back home to possible snow is climatic whiplash. Any other posters or friends dealing with this?

My mom just lost her home in the Lilac fire, where I grew up. Lives on West Lilac Road. It's burned pretty much all of my hometown, Bonsall, CA.

She didn't get to grab anything. She was under a cautionary evacuation warning, Called me to ask what to do. Usually you are fine to stay until it is mandatory. Minutes later Sherriff banging on her door, and said there are 70 mph gusts and fire is a hundred yards away. You need to grab your dog and leave now. So she got in car, left wedding rings, etc behind.

Certainly glad she's safe, and that's all that really matters in the end. Fireman and Sheriffs are doing a hell of a job saving lives and staying in front of it. but not much they can do to stop it right now. The winds are supposed to pick up again today. Chance for new fires in addition to current fires that are less than 25% contained.

I have 2 cousins that are firefighters in SoCal. Really hoping they stay safe.

Last edited:
Our company is headquartered in Thousand Oaks and several colleagues have lost their homes. Crazy, apocalyptic scenes.

I'm supposed to be in Santa Barbara next week for business. Wouldn't be shocked if I was told to stay home. Sounds like it's getting close.

It's so crazy. In December. Santa Ana Winds, 80 degrees, no rain this fall. The fire chief basically said On Tuesday and Wednesday, there will be fires, we just don't know where. Winds are just as bad today, then decrease a little Saturday, but still not helpful. Not looking to get favorable conditions until Sunday.

GOOD GOD I HOPE YOU PEOPLE DON'T MISS YOUR MEETINGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Was in Palm Springs last week, obviously, there was no fire. But Palm Springs, which doesn’t get much wind, had 2 days of 20mph sustained winds, which is part of the fire.

My mom just lost her home in the Lilac fire, where I grew up. Lives on West Lilac Road. It's burned pretty much all of my hometown, Bonsall, CA.

She didn't get to grab anything. She was under a cautionary evacuation warning, Called me to ask what to do. Usually you are fine to stay until it is mandatory. Minutes later Sherriff banging on her door, and said there are 70 mph gusts and fire is a hundred yards away. You need to grab your dog and leave now. So she got in car, left wedding rings, etc behind.

Certainly glad she's safe, and that's all that really matters in the end. Fireman and Sheriffs are doing a hell of a job saving lives and staying in front of it. but not much they can do to stop it right now. The winds are supposed to pick up again today. Chance for new fires in addition to current fires that are less than 25% contained.

I have 2 cousins that are firefighters in SoCal. Really hoping they stay safe.

Wow sorry to hear that. The Lilac fire is the one near where I was (Carlsbad). My paralegal lives in Oceanside and there is a lot of worry that the wind will push it all the way over there.

California is a tinderbox. Was there all week and the newest fire was just a few miles from the office. Some of my colleagues had to evacuate last night, more may have to clear out today. Fire started at 1120am and burned 4,600 acres by the evening. The air is so dry, it makes your throat hurt. Flying back home to possible snow is climatic whiplash. Any other posters or friends dealing with this?

Strange, I've had this dry cough I've never had before for 2 weeks and I haven't been able to figure out why. Others say they have something similar. Didn't think it might be the dry air.

I did some research yesterday and it seems that wildfire is covered in most homeowners insurance policies?

Strange, I've had this dry cough I've never had before for 2 weeks and I haven't been able to figure out why. Others say they have something similar. Didn't think it might be the dry air.

I did some research yesterday and it seems that wildfire is covered in most homeowners insurance policies?

I know it is for most people in southern california. But. There is homeowners insurance which covers the structure, and then there is renter's insurance, which covers the contents and you need both. I'm concerned my mom's renter's insurance wasn't enough. The house will be rebuilt, but not sure how much renter's insurance she has.

The humidity has been in single digits which apparently is equal to summer humidity in the high desert.

Sounds like the 101 into Santa Barbara might be closed, which will seriously hamper relief efforts if the fire proceeds further into Santa Barbara Co. The microclimate there is bone dry. Could be disastrous for them.

Wasn’t long ago that people were celebrating that the drought was “over”.

Nope, this is the real new normal.

Fiancee lived in Ventura for 3 years right next to Sierra Cross. She would have had to evacuate but her old place is still standing. The images are scary.

Some friends of ours last night were telling us they were quarantined in a visitor centre for 5 days in Port Arthur, TAS during their 2013 bushfires.

Within the past hour, one started up what appears to be 2 miles from where I live/work, about 2 miles east of downtown los angeles. Big one on the hill. If it were to follow the mountain it'd hit my office, pretty crazy, can see 40-50 foot high flames clearly from anywhere in Downtown LA. Saw it simply walking back to work from lunch break.

supposed to be in century city for work next week. crazy this is happening in December.

They stopped the DTLA fire at 6 acres. Per the news report apparently I saw it just a few mins after it started.
5cd4495046764d068fcbe376e3f87281.jpg

Back