• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Mueller Investigation Is in Mortal Danger

I can disregard it because I believe that it doesn't ultimately matter. It probably does some damage on a social level, but I'm not sure what a modern presidency looks like that doesn't.

See I'm the complete opposite.

I can't even remotely get close to looking at his fiscal views (which I think are likely mercenary in nature with no real fixed commitment to anything) because he is such a repulsive, narcissistic, pathological lying, sociopath of a person who is everything wrong with the world.

I cannot fathom not thinking the character of the person who is the "free leader of the world" is important consider when electing a President. Even if you don't care about social issues or societal norms it has to be terrifying that somebody with Trump's demeanor and personality is in charge of nuclear codes and can become unbelievably irritated over and over again (nearly every day we have seen from 6 AM - 8 AM) over what people on tv and Twitter say about him.

If Hillary had gotten a decent share of Republican votes, she would have won the EC, too.

She did have a fair amount of establishment Pub votes - a lot more than Obama ever did. But she also had 3 things going against her - she was a shitty and impossible to like candidate and suppressed her own turnout; she ran a shitty campaign (why go to MI or WI?); and even more Bernie populists crossed over to the populist Pub because both populist extremes want to tear it down. I can't say this enough. The Clintons need to fade off into the sunset. Every time I see her giving another interview it makes me furious. Just go away. And no, you don't get a speech at the 2020 convention.

I can't even remotely get close to looking at his fiscal views (which I think are likely mercenary in nature with no real fixed commitment to anything) because he is such a repulsive, narcissistic, pathological lying, sociopath of a person who is everything wrong with the world.

I cannot fathom not thinking the character of the person who is the "free leader of the world" is important consider when electing a President. Even if you don't care about social issues or societal norms it has to be terrifying that somebody with Trump's demeanor and personality is in charge of nuclear codes and can become unbelievably irritated over and over again (nearly every day we have seen from 6 AM - 8 AM) over what people on tv and Twitter say about him.

I have no fear, none, that Trump will use a nuclear weapon. None. Zero.

Absent some horrific provocation, like open war, Trump will not use a weapon of that type.

The fact that you think he may, means you underestimate him.

Absent some horrific provocation, like open war, Trump will not use a weapon of that type.

Based on what we know about Donald Trump I have no idea how you can feel 100% confident that he will not get us into a situation where he feels the need to use a nuclear weapon.

I have a great concern that his lack of diplomacy, knowledge about foreign affairs, and general lack of intelligence regarding anything political, could easily lead into a situation that sees the United States get involved in a war that snowballs quickly and he has no control over.

I don't know that it's possible to "underestimate" President Trump based on what I have seen out of him the past 3 years. If your dad all of a sudden started exhibiting anywhere near the amount of concerning tendencies that President Trump shows on a daily basis (cathartic binge eating on junk food, watching 4-8 hours of cable news a day, lack of ability to pay attention unless it includes himself, temper that is set off with the slightest of insults, etc.), then I have a feeling you would take him in for an evaluation with a doctor or at least be pretty damn concerned about him.

The only reason that we "accept" what Donald Trump is doing is because we have become desensitized and effectively normalized his erratic behavior.

Exactly what was there to like about Trump's fiscal views? He's anti free trade, wants to get out of NAFTA and did get out of the TPP. That might excite coal miners and out of work former auto workers in the Rust Belt, but it's not good for other American industries or in our long term interest. His rather scant budget proposals on the trail were consistently scored as the most fanciful, even more than Bernie. He's currently helping carry water for the tax bill, which mostly helps corporations and the wealthy, screws over homeowners in some blue states and adds $1.3-1.7 trillion to our deficit according to the CTP and CBO. He's sabotaging the ACA rather than repealing and replacing it with something viable. He's essentially everything I don't want in a Pub. Pubs should exist to rein in proposed Dem spending, keep taxes low and keep us from adding to the deficit. This Pub populism is worse than our current left wing populism.

Why do you believe this?

Exactly what was there to like about Trump's fiscal views? He's anti free trade, wants to get out of NAFTA and did get out of the TPP. That might excite coal miners and out of work former auto workers in the Rust Belt, but it's not good for other American industries or in our long term interest. His rather scant budget proposals on the trail were consistently scored as the most fanciful, even more than Bernie. He's currently helping carry water for the tax bill, which mostly helps corporations and the wealthy, screws over homeowners in some blue states and adds $1.3-1.7 trillion to our deficit according to the CTP and CBO. He's sabotaging the ACA rather than repealing and replacing it with something viable. He's essentially everything I don't want in a Pub. Pubs should exist to rein in proposed Dem spending, keep taxes low and keep us from adding to the deficit. This Pub populism is worse than our current left wing populism.

Right, I wasn't even addressing what I feel like are atrocious fiscal viewpoints.

He doesn't hold anything "near and dear" to his heart Knight. He just says what he thinks people want to hear to gain popularity. He doesn't give a fuck about coal miners, or Christians, or anybody but himself. He just says what he says to keep up his 35% approval rating and what he thinks worked to get him into the White House.

If you told him tomorrow that Evangelical Christians believed in abortion, liberal ideas, and climate change then he would immediately start supporting those views.

Open your eyes.

Why do you believe this?

He's a businessman who values life. Especially the.lives of children. He would know, among other things, that use of a nuclear weapons would result in the deaths of hundreds, if not thousands, of children.

I have family in South Korea right now. If it happens, it'll probably happen there. Right now, we're still so remarkably far from use of that type of weapon that it doesn't merit serious consideration.

Seriously think about coming up with a scenario where a group of people believe that the weapon of last resort is called for. Right now, we don't have facts to even get close.

Why do you believe this?

He's a businessman who values life. Especially the.lives of children. He would know, among other things, that use of a nuclear weapons would result in the deaths of hundreds, if not thousands, of children.

I have family in South Korea right now. If it happens, it'll probably happen there. Right now, we're still so remarkably far from use of that type of weapon that it doesn't merit serious consideration.

Seriously think about coming up with a scenario where a group of people believe that the weapon of last resort is called for. Right now, we don't have facts to even get close.

The scenario is we have a president who doesn't understand the implications of nuclear war and makes rash decisions/proclamations without thinking them through. Seems like that's not too farfetched.

But yeah, it's not like our president has been openly antagonistic towards North Korea and their leader. It'd be a game changer if he, for instance, had called their leader "Rocket Man" or something.

A man who values life. We're really setting the bar high these days. Although, you are talking about the guy who said he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and not lose a vote.

Luckily for the world, the order to start an unprovoked nuclear war, could and should be ignored by those tasked with carrying it out.

He's basically my ideal candidate, fiscally. I wish the tax plan had been more in his image and much less full of bullshit the rank and file crammed into it.

Socially, I like that he is accepting of gay rights, but I don't like his stance on abortion. Ultimately, I don't really give a shit about social issues, because I believe that legislating morality is misguided at best.

I can see how Trump would appeal to people who want a social moderate or liberal and fiscal conservative.

The issue with the Republican Party is that plenty of people "don't give a shit" about social issues and are willingly to horse trade for support for conservative policies.

The lesson Republicans need to learn from the Trump election is that the social policies are more popular than the fiscal policies among their base.

Back