• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Mueller Investigation Is in Mortal Danger

I know I'm moving goalposts here, but I love a dude that can change his mind with rational, logical argument. If he was confused about it, that sucks.

However, I have a huge boner for him being pro states-rights. It IS a state issue and isn't something the federal government should have their hands in. So, awesome for Trump, I guess.

Besides that and the Confederate monuments, what makes you think he's pro states' rights. This interview seems to give the impression that he's using the tax code to manipulate state governments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN8uLfKm5j4
(Start it at about 8:00 and watch for two minutes).

Between that and trying to strong-arm sanctuary cities, he is not consistently for local autonomy at all.

Republicans aren't really for states' rights either as long as an authoritarian Republican regime is in place.

Republicans aren't really for states' rights either as long as an authoritarian Republican regime is in place.

Current Pubs like Paul Ryan are not about states' rights. Trump is.

This is the rift I keep talking about in the Republican party.

Current Pubs like Paul Ryan are not about states' rights. Trump is.

This is the rift I keep talking about in the Republican party.

Why would Trump be about having less power?

Why would Trump be about having less power?

Trump hates the Federal Government. That should be painfully obvious.

Trump may be power hungry - I can't speak to that. But he certainly understands that the office of the presidency is a temporary position. I squirm with glee each time I hear about a new federal agency getting gutted from the inside out. Reports of, "it will take a lifetime to repair this damage," make me wetter than lady liberty on the 4th.

We certainly have different views on Donald. My theory is that Donald did not understand the actual amount of power that the president has. Throughout the Obama presidency Donald's tweets indicate that he believed the president wielded a large amount of power and that any shortcomings in any branch of the government were attributable to the president. This was in the sense of "if it didn't get done, it's on the president for being weak." Of course a large part of Obama's "inability" to get things done was the GOP controlled Congress for the majority of Obama's tenure and that the executive branch is not able to unilaterally make decisions on everything (you know, separation of powers).

Throughout his campaign, Donald kept saying "I'll do this, I'll do that" truly believing that the president was able to do everything he said and that Obama fecklessly opted for inaction rather than putting himself out there. This view is further supplemented by his stance on the swamp - drain it and get rid of the cogs of the bureaucratic machine that are wasting our hard earned tax dollars! Of course he wanted to get rid of these positions, because he didn't (and to an extent, probably still does not) understand that a lot of these positions are critical to running a government the size of America's in the 21st century. The end result of Donald still not totally grasping this is that many cabinet departments and agencies remain a skeleton thus hindering our ability to effectively govern. This is even true for areas like the Secretary of State where there can't be any argument of "states rights!" since this is an area exclusively reserved for the federal government.

Ultimately, Donald got into office and realized "oh shit, the president isn't a dictator - but I can attempt to consolidate more power by simply not filling areas of government around me and by undermining the legitimacy of the 4th estate by talking directly to people. Fake news! Fake news! Fake news! I'm the lord emperor....err..president."

That Donald has consistently changed his mind on a litany of topics over the past five years alone indicates that it's not likely that he's firm in what he believes and attempting to enact his own vision on the federal government. That he talks about states rights when it's a topic he either doesn't want to take a stance on himself or when the federal government currently has laws or policies he personally disagrees with indicates that he's not likely a traditional states rights conservative.

At the end of the day Donald is about Donald and the Trump brand name. Attempts to ascribe his rise and presidency to anything other than "he craves power and the spotlight" ultimately miss out on a large piece of the puzzle.

Trump may be power hungry - I can't speak to that. But he certainly understands that the office of the presidency is a temporary position. I squirm with glee each time I hear about a new federal agency getting gutted from the inside out. Reports of, "it will take a lifetime to repair this damage," make me wetter than lady liberty on the 4th.

What a short sighted, ill-informed and immature view.

Also known as a Knight-ism.

Trump just hates accountability. he wants to continuously tell everyone how great he is and what great things he does, but doesn't want people giving the facts. such as he is a crap businessman, which is obvious in his numerous fraud lawsuits, bankruptcy and just look at the crap job he has done so far. he is a terrible boss, owner, businessman and president.

to be honest, i can't believe people actually believe his shtick. not an ounce of credibility in a damn thing he says.

There's no way GTB is actually getting the wool pulled over his eyes this much by Trump.

There's no way GTB is actually getting the wool pulled over his eyes this much by Trump.

GTB is a Libertarian, who wants the federal government reduced to dust, whether by intention or incompetence.

GTB is a Libertarian, who wants the federal government reduced to dust, whether by intention or incompetence.

Right, but he's not saying that he is glad Trump is in office because he is completely inept and will unintentionally destroy the federal government. He is saying that this is a legitimate strategy by Trump to do so and is in line with his own beliefs. Those are vastly different things in my opinion, but I guess GTB gets the end result he wants either way.

Counterpoint: People are assholes that need to be regulated as is proof by all of history.

Counterpoint: People are assholes that need to be regulated as is proof by all of history.

This. What's crazy is that so-called Christians fight against regulation politically when the basic premise of the Bible is human beings are sinners who need salvation and regulation.

Shrink the federal government. Give the stares more power and less aid financially.

Like running a business. Get rid of the what’s draining the company. Trump keeps the federal $$ and he’s got plenty of power.

Isn’t that what business people do? I guess he thinks he can cut out waste and rebuilt America’s infrastructure and wall with the Trump Logo. Lol

Why do you think Donald Trump, a man who doesn't even know about the separation of powers and the role of the Presidency, would ever try to shrink the amount of power that he has at his disposal?

As Numbers said earlier, it's pretty clear that Trump thought the President was more or less an authoritarian position.

Nothing that I have seen from Trump other than ineptitude indicates that he is for less power in the hands of the Executive Branch, which, the last time I checked at least, is part of the federal government.

Shrink the federal government. Give the stares more power and less aid financially.

Like running a business. Get rid of the what’s draining the company. Trump keeps the federal $$ and he’s got plenty of power.

Isn’t that what business people do? I guess he thinks he can cut out waste and rebuilt America’s infrastructure and wall with the Trump Logo. Lol

the states should definitely have way less power than they do now. federalism is a fucking joke in 2017 when we can't even agree on whether or not certain people can get married

Its great reading posts from risc and knight. They are completely divorced from reality. Which is the initial requirement for supporting the President.

Back