• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Mueller Investigation Is in Mortal Danger

I guess all we get on the boards are the 20% that don’t support trump and conservative extremists. More likely though, as has been shown through posting and defense of trump, we have people in denial that they are now run by and support extremists while doing it.

Both are true. These rjkarl boards are populated with "moderate" Republicans and conservative centrist Dems.

Last edited:

The administration doesn't need to fire Mueller. In fact, I think their best move is not to fire him. They and Fox are effectively spinning the heck out of this thing to that Trump's followers believe the investigation is tainted. Sure, Mueller will indict a few folks in the administration, but Trump will pardon them. Then a couple of state AGs will charge them with state crimes, and Trump and Fox will cry out that this is just the Dems playing partisan politics. And as long as the Pubs have either the house or senate, Trump won't be both indicted and convicted, and Trump will make himself out to be a martyr to his loyal followers in the process. This is the result of our not living in the same reality.

The administration doesn't need to fire Mueller. In fact, I think their best move is not to fire him. They and Fox are effectively spinning the heck out of this thing to that Trump's followers believe the investigation is tainted. Sure, Mueller will indict a few folks in the administration, but Trump will pardon them. Then a couple of state AGs will charge them with state crimes, and Trump and Fox will cry out that this is just the Dems playing partisan politics. And as long as the Pubs have either the house or senate, Trump won't be both indicted and convicted, and Trump will make himself out to be a martyr to his loyal followers in the process. This is the result of our not living in the same reality.

This is definitely a plausible scenario.

The other one is firing Rosenstein (I assume Sessions would do this) for something unrelated to the Russia investigation.

I agree, and this makes perfect sense, but the problem is that Trump isn't a rational, logical person. He acts on impulse, and has the self-discipline and self-control of a child. If he thinks that Mueller has anything serious on him, or if Mueller is going after his kids and in-laws, or if he simply gets pissed watching Fox News one day, I think he'll fire him in a heartbeat without ever considering the consequences. I also don't believe that Kelly has as much control over Trump as some people think - it's already been shown that Trump doesn't listen to his own kids, and he seems to have issues with authority figures (unless he's the authority figure). Maybe nothing will come of this, but I still have the feeling that sooner or later things will come to a head with Trump and Mueller.

I agree, and this makes perfect sense, but the problem is that Trump isn't a rational, logical person. He acts on impulse, and has the self-discipline and self-control of a child. If he thinks that Mueller has anything serious on him, or if Mueller is going after his kids and in-laws, or if he simply gets pissed watching Fox News one day, I think he'll fire him in a heartbeat without ever considering the consequences. I also don't believe that Kelly has as much control over Trump as some people think - it's already been shown that Trump doesn't listen to his own kids, and he seems to have issues with authority figures (unless he's the authority figure). Maybe nothing will come of this, but I still have the feeling that sooner or later things will come to a head with Trump and Mueller.

Granted, I won't put it past Trump that he'll do something incredibly stupid out of rage and without considering possible consequences. But the fact is he can't fire Mueller himself. In order to terminate Mueller, he has to convince Sessions to fire him, and Sessions won't do it. And then we face a true Saturday Night Massacree (with full orchestration and 5 part harmony) situation with potentially multiple AGs resigning before Trump can locate his Bork. Color me naive, but I don't think Sessions allows that to happen. If Trump is just being suddenly impetuous 1 day, Sessions retorts that he won't fire him and that he's looking out for Trump's interest in preventing from harming himself (and calls Kelly/Mattis immediately). I mean, the powers that be around Trump can't be stupid enough to permit Trump to Bork himself into impeachment, can they?

Granted, I won't put it past Trump that he'll do something incredibly stupid out of rage and without considering possible consequences. But the fact is he can't fire Mueller himself. In order to terminate Mueller, he has to convince Sessions to fire him, and Sessions won't do it. And then we face a true Saturday Night Massacree (with full orchestration and 5 part harmony) situation with potentially multiple AGs resigning before Trump can locate his Bork. Color me naive, but I don't think Sessions allows that to happen. If Trump is just being suddenly impetuous 1 day, Sessions retorts that he won't fire him and that he's looking out for Trump's interest in preventing from harming himself (and calls Kelly/Mattis immediately). I mean, the powers that be around Trump can't be stupid enough to permit Trump to Bork himself into impeachment, can they?

I think that some of Trump's aides, like Kelly and Conway, are smart and competent people (their ethics, actions, and beliefs are a different matter, of course). But he's also surrounded himself with plenty of incompetent boobs as well, including his sons and son-in-law. The problem is that Trump often doesn't listen to his own "powers that be" - he clearly sees himself as smarter than everyone else and often listens to nothing but his own impulses and instincts. He probably isn't even smart enough to be aware that he can't fire Mueller by himself - I could easily see him trying to fire Mueller via a tweet without consulting with anybody. He has almost no understanding of how our government works - it's clear he really did see the federal gov't as being like his business, where he gives orders and everyone else is supposed to follow them. Maybe he'll listen to people about Mueller and keep his mouth (and twitter account) silent, but he hasn't done so with virtually anything else thus far. The longer this investigation goes and the more people Mueller investigates and charges, the more frustrated Trump will become, and it wouldn't be a surprise if he just finally blows his top and does something stupid. Trump's advisers may not be dumb and impulsive, but he certainly can be.

I think that some of Trump's aides, like Kelly and Conway, are smart and competent people (their ethics, actions, and beliefs are a different matter, of course). But he's also surrounded himself with plenty of incompetent boobs as well, including his sons and son-in-law. The problem is that Trump often doesn't listen to his own "powers that be" - he clearly sees himself as smarter than everyone else and often listens to nothing but his own impulses and instincts. He probably isn't even smart enough to be aware that he can't fire Mueller by himself - I could easily see him trying to fire Mueller via a tweet without consulting with anybody. He has almost no understanding of how our government works - it's clear he really did see the federal gov't as being like his business, where he gives orders and everyone else is supposed to follow them. Maybe he'll listen to people about Mueller and keep his mouth (and twitter account) silent, but he hasn't done so with virtually anything else thus far. The longer this investigation goes and the more people Mueller investigates and charges, the more frustrated Trump will become, and it wouldn't be a surprise if he just finally blows his top and does something stupid. Trump's advisers may not be dumb and impulsive, but he certainly can be.

Sooner or later he's going to run out of things the Kenyan accomplished to defund/terminate in order to MAGA.

Last edited:
Sooner or later he's going to run out of things the Kenyan accomplished to defund/terminate in order to MAGA.

Oh, no doubt Trump has already done many, many stupid things, I'm just specifically referring to the Mueller investigation. And, yes, it's as if his sole reason for being president is trying to undo every one of Obama's accomplishments...which would no doubt overjoy his base.

Reactions: ONW
Honest question. Did Clinton ever threaten to fire Ken Starr?

sailor, who should be conducting this investigation?

Don't be ashamed to say "nobody." We know that's what you think.

Back