• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sexual Harassment - Why Now?

Lumping in mistresses and affairs (consensual) with Cosby and Feinstein and Moore and Franken (non consensual) is not correct.

Unfortunately for a lot of conservatives, it's worse. Adultery is one of the commandments, violating that is unconscionable. But pedophilia and male domination of women are in the Bible, so those offenses are not nearly as bad in many conservatives' view.

I agree with this theory. I think the country overlooking Trump's transgressions pissed off a lot of people (Fuck, the largest protest in American history occurred the day after Inauguration Day) and that feeling has been simmering below the surface for the past year. Then the Weinstein scandal burst a hole in the dam that kept those feelings in place. Weinsteins crimes were particularly horrific and could not be explained away given his celebrity status and the status of the victims coming forward.

At the end of the day, all of this re-affirms that the arc of the moral universe is long but ultimately bends towards justice. As a society we are now at the point where criminal sexual assault won't be tolerated by a majority of the country (ex. Alabama) and that is a good thing.

It’s also not just that a worthless piece of shit like Trump won. It’s that he beat a female candidate who was overwhelmingly more qualified. Too many women had seen that shit before in their workplace.

It’s also not just that a worthless piece of shit like Trump won. It’s that he beat a female candidate who was overwhelmingly more qualified. Too many women had seen that shit before in their workplace.

Good point

Agreed.

Well to be fair, the last time America was great there weren't women in the workplace.

Yep, you guys aren't to blame for anything. You are perfect. All of your problems are based on what others have to you and not for you.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Is that you Bud?

I guess it is idiotic to think adults should take some responsibility for themselves rather than blaming others who did terrible things like send them to Wake and grad schools and business, support them, etc. But's it's the fault of boomers that subsequent generations aren't handed the world on a silver platter.

Yeah, this is bkf all right. lol

I am not sure if I am buying into the women now believe they will be be lived logic... Anita Hill was supposed to be believed because otherwise why would she come forward? Flowers, Jones, et al, were all liars. Clearly, there were poltical motives at play in those cases... and don't confuse this with a bias toward libs and conservatives - there are scum bags in both parties (I met a former GA senator at a fund raiser who kept chasing two 20 y/o volunteers. I was not impressed)

But, guys like Weinsten could have been outed at any time over the past 30 years, but wasn't and Clinton was outed but defended. If women came forward in at the same time against some of these guys that Anita Hill went public it would be the same scenario as today only 25 years ago.

But they didn't.

Now they are piling on... if you made a pass to a girl at a party is it now viewed in retrospect as harassment? How do guys act around women these days without opening themselves up to potential accusations later in their lives?

I am still convinced there is something else lurking that is driving this... face it, the media went out of its way to protect Clinton because they liked him and what he stood for yet now is rabid to take down anybody and everybody even if they are aligned politically. When did the media grow a conscience?

Another case in point... the media isn't known these days for doing their own investigative reporting. After all, it was the National Enquirer that outed John Edwards for his love child... now they are reporting on many big names in rapid succession. Someone is feeding this to the media a little bit at a time

Last edited:
I am not sure if I am buying into the women now believe they will be be lived logic... Anita Hill was supposed to be believed because otherwise why would she come forward? Flowers, Jones, et al, were all liars. Clearly, there were poltical motives at play in those cases... and don't confuse this with a bias toward libs and conservatives - there are scum bags in both parties (I met a former GA senator at a fund raiser who kept chasing two 20 y/o volunteers. I was not impressed)

But, guys like Weinsten could have been outed at any time over the past 30 years, but wasn't and Clinton was outed but defended. If women came forward in at the same time against some of these guys that Anita Hill went public it would be the same scenario as today only 25 years ago.

But they didn't.

Now they are piling on... if you made a pass to a girl at a party is it now viewed in retrospect as harassment? How do guys act around women these days without opening themselves up to potential accusations later in their lives?

I am still convinced there is something else lurking that is driving this... face it, the media went out of its way to protect Clinton because they liked him and what he stood for yet now is rabid to take down anybody and everybody even if they are aligned politically. When did the media grow a conscience?

Another case in point... the media isn't known these days for doing their own investigative reporting. After all, it was the National Enquirer that outed John Edwards for his love child... now they are reporting on many big names in rapid succession. Someone is feeding this to the media a little bit at a time

Ahh. So your original post wasn’t a sincere question. It was an excuse to share your hyperpartisan “theory”.

Should have guessed.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. First of all, Anita Hill didn't come forward on her own. She was interviewed by the FBI and made the allegations against Thomas. Those allegations leaked after his confirmation was basically over. She was summoned to testify before the Judiciary Committee.

Anita Hill is seen as a hero for many because she stood up and and answered horrible graphic questions from a dais full of white men, most seeking to expose her as some crazy bitch.

But despite her heroism, Thomas was confirmed anyway. Kind of a cautionary tale that set the stage for the Clinton accusers to not be believed either. Conservatives don't seem to remember that as part of the context.

Weinstein has been outed many times. It just didn't stick. I've heard those rumors for years. Same about Cosby, same about Brett Ratner. There just has to be something to happen to cause other people in power to feel social pressure to act on the allegations.

You're an "old man."
You're not going to be in the networks of women who share this information. I'm sure there are plenty of staffers on the Hill who know who all the creeps are but don't quite not how to hold them accountable.

I really don't understand the "how do you act around women?" question. Treat them with some damn respect. What's so hard? Don't show your dick. Don't be a dick. If they aren't interested in talking to you, don't talk to them.

Don’t “make a pass” at someone? Just you know, actually talk to them as a human being.

But they didn't.

Oldmandeac, thank you for your post.

I think what you are feeling about what you are seeing is exactly right. It is part of a larger pattern. We are having information curated in new (to us) ways, and many people are picking up in it. Most don't dig deeper or misunderstand what it is, but make no mistake that since about late 2014, we've been under a new regime of curated information.

That date is a guess, but it coincides with Russia's invasion of Crimea. That was the first time we really got to see the new power of a state-sponsored social media division exert it's full power. Since that time, the technique is being refined.

Just wait for net neutrality repeal to really sink its teeth into the mess. Then, finally, our Government will have a single point of contact for managing consumption of information.

Last edited:
I
How do guys act around women these days without opening themselves up to potential accusations later in their lives?

If you wouldn't do it or say it in front of or about your mom, don't do it or say it at work. And don't initiate physical contact other than handshake for business purposes, as appropriate. Everyone treated with dignity and respect and then everyone at work gets along.

And don't date co-workers.

If you wouldn't do it or say it in front of or about your mom, don't do it or say it at work. And don't initiate physical contact other than handshake for business purposes, as appropriate. Everyone treated with dignity and respect and then everyone at work gets along.

And don't date co-workers.

No. It can't be that simple. Not with the liberal media out to get people.

Back