• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Basketball Data Visualization/Stats Discussion

Dali Llama

Reaction score
I created a few basic plots of some key player stats so far this season. Hope these show up okay on the board when I post. Doral's ridiculous numbers so far kind of distort a couple of these graphs.

I excluded any players that have not played at least 40 minutes so far this season (Sunday Okeke, SJM, and the walk-ons).

Shooting Matrix
2-point % on the horizontal axis, 3-point % on the vertical axis. Any player with 0 3-point attempts was attributed 0 for 3P%. As the legend indicates, the size of the point represents the player's usage rate.

amkI3kw.png

Rebounding Matrix
Offensive rebound % on the horizontal axis, defensive rebound % on the vertical axis. Doral is basically off the charts.

3ZzVUZu.png

Assist/Turnover
Assist % on the horizontal axis, turnover % on the vertical axis. Note the turnover % increases as you go up the vertical axis, so obviously the closer to the lower right, the better and the closer to the upper left, the worse. The size of the point represents the player's usage rate. Sarr and Mitchell, eesh.

MbK1uW8.png

Steal/Block
Steal % on the horizontal axis, block % on the vertical axis. Doral's block % is really impressive. Sarr really showing out, too. Kind of sad Thompson doesn't have one block through 10 games as a post player.

cXVvIw2.png

PER
As many already know, 15 is considered average. And for context, John Collins's PER was 35.9 last season.

V6F9Rww.png

Obviously we've only played 10 games against a very soft schedule. Will be interesting to update these later on in the season as the competition level goes up.

Feel free to post any cool stats stuff.

Last edited:
Sorry, came out a little small. Will try to do better next time.

A picture is worth a thousand words
These charts say a lot. Very interesting.
Thanks for creating.
Will be interested see how they change as the season progresses.

Looks great, thanks. Confirms my suspicions that Donovan Mitchell is a great shooter and I wish he was a better rebounder. We don't have anyone that does it all but maybe KWoods is the closest.

Many thanks for this effort, we need empirical data to help understand with the improvement curve (or non improvement) of the players

Love it, that is great. Thank you

A quick plot of the ACC teams' KenPom offensive and defensive ratings as of now. Note that the magnitude of the vertical axis (defensive rating) is reversed, so the higher up, the better the defense. The dashed lines are the median ACC offense and defense (as of now). As such, comparatively speaking among ACC teams, the quadrants can be described (very generally) as:

Upper left: Below average offense, above average defense
Upper right: Above average offense, above average defense
Lower right: Above average offense, below average defense
Lower left: Below average offense, below average defense

(Average is used very loosely)

Wake narrowly edges out Pitt as the worst defensive team in the conference as of now.

PaBnuei.png

Last edited:
Interesting that only UNC, FSU and UVA (Clemson is close) with above average offensive and defensive rating.

FWIW, KP's top 4 teams right now are:

Villanova
Michigan State
UVA
Wichita State

Duke is #5. The Devils have the #1 offense, but the #69 defense.

Overall ACC KP ranks (national ranking in parens):

1. UVA (#3)
2. Duke (#5)
3. UNC (#9)
4. Miami (#15)
5. ND (#18)
6. FSU (#25)
7. L'ville (#28)
8. VT (#31)
9. Clemson (#34)
10. Cuse (#57)
11. WF (#64)
12. State (#77)
13. BC (#84)
14. GT (#91)
15. Pitt (#152)

UVA is projected to go 13-5 in conference. Duke, UNC, Miami 12-6. ND 11-7. WF 7-11.

Interesting that only UNC, FSU and UVA (Clemson is close) with above average offensive and defensive rating.

FWIW, KP's top 4 teams right now are:

Villanova
Michigan State
UVA
Wichita State

Duke is #5. The Devils have the #1 offense, but the #69 defense.

Overall ACC KP ranks (national ranking in parens):

1. UVA (#3)
2. Duke (#5)
3. UNC (#9)
4. Miami (#15)
5. ND (#18)
6. FSU (#25)
7. L'ville (#28)
8. VT (#31)
9. Clemson (#34)
10. Cuse (#57)
11. WF (#64)
12. State (#77)
13. BC (#84)
14. GT (#91)
15. Pitt (#152)

UVA is projected to go 13-5 in conference. Duke, UNC, Miami 12-6. ND 11-7. WF 7-11.
Right, I just took the median offensive rating among ACC teams and the median defensive rating. As you can see in that plot, Clemson has the median offense in the conference, and Cuse has the median defense (as of yesterday when I did this at least). Obviously there are a lot of really good teams in the conference, so it would be different if it was done at a more national level. And "above/below ACC median offense/defense" would be more technically correct, I guess, but it's awkward to say.

Might do a similar plot later in the season once there's more data for all of the players in the conference, but it might get crowded.

Last edited:
Extremely detailed work that shows how important Moore is to this team. Also, great breakdown of the teams in the ACC.

A quick update on PER:

PER: Full Season

xrcQImM.png

PER: ACC Play Only

ZU7EIHH.png

As of now, Doral is the only player in conference play with a PER above the average (15).

Melo was removed, as he's only played 12 minutes in conference play and has a PER of -11.1.

what's Crawford's PER the last 3 games? I bet that's a statistical anomaly.

Back