• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Evisceration of BKF's arguments of the past

I am happy for the players and glad they get to enjoy nicer facilities than their predecessors, but on a personal note I felt a bit disappointed when I was last on campus at how cut off the regular students and alumni are from these facilities. While it’s not a big deal that I couldn’t poke my head in to take a look, it was a small reminder that under our current system we (major conference schools) run what are effectively semi professional sports out of our institutions of higher learning often costing millions of dollars with minimal benefits accrued to the average student.

It may take a few more years to see the influx of talent and winning, but we are going to be good. Our facilities have gone from our glaring weakness to one of our greatest strengths. Thank you to Ben Sutton (and Bob McCreary, etc.) for making this happen. Again, it make take several more years, but all of us are going to be very happy.

Has Ben Sutton acknowledged his role in propping up Jeff [Redacted] and helping him stick around those 4 miserable years?

It may take a few more years to see the influx of talent and winning, but we are going to be good. Our facilities have gone from our glaring weakness to one of our greatest strengths. Thank you to Ben Sutton (and Bob McCreary, etc.) for making this happen. Again, it make take several more years, but all of us are going to be very happy.

When is one of the more prolific posters on here going to get unbelievably rich and then crowdsource how to spend the money as it relates to Wake Forest athletics?

No, it's horrific. We'll keep losing. I salute Sutton. No wonder he has done so well in business. Acknowledges disasters, admits them, and fixes.

It's horrific, and yet you don't even know what the renovation will be... at least I haven't seen a final plan?

Aren't we spending millions of dollars on facilities improvements that will benefit the basketball team?

I am happy for the players and glad they get to enjoy nicer facilities than their predecessors, but on a personal note I felt a bit disappointed when I was last on campus at how cut off the regular students and alumni are from these facilities. While it’s not a big deal that I couldn’t poke my head in to take a look, it was a small reminder that under our current system we (major conference schools) run what are effectively semi professional sports out of our institutions of higher learning often costing millions of dollars with minimal benefits accrued to the average student.

I have the same mixed feelings. I was an anthropology minor. The gargantuan new sports buildings literally block out the sun and put perpetual shade on the old metal building that has housed the anthropology labs and offices since probably the 70s. Kind of a metaphor for Big Time Sports eclipsing the academy. Oh well.

I have the same mixed feelings. I was an anthropology minor. The gargantuan new sports buildings literally block out the sun and put perpetual shade on the old metal building that has housed the anthropology labs and offices since probably the 70s. Kind of a metaphor for Big Time Sports eclipsing the academy. Oh well.

I was a major, and I agree with you. However, it is a shame that the anthro lab still doesn't have its own brick and mortar building.

I was a major, and I agree with you. However, it is a shame that the anthro lab still doesn't have its own brick and mortar building.

Well, donate big bucks to the anthropology department and make it happen. If you donate enough, they'll name the building after the person of your choice.

Well, donate big bucks to the anthropology department and make it happen. If you donate enough, they'll name the building after the person of your choice.

Yeah, somehow I feel like the ten anthropology majors graduating annually aren't going to be making the big bucks.

Back