• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poor Millenials

The kids of the boomers are giving them out.

Not sure that's right. I'm the kid of a boomer and it's the generation before us that spawned millennials.

and for the record, even as 7 year olds we knew the participation trophy was bullshit

Yeah, RJ is wrong. I'm Gen X and got participation trophies in the 70's and 80's from Baby Boomers.

Yeah, RJ is wrong. I'm Gen X and got participation trophies in the 70's and 80's from Baby Boomers.

I'm not sure what the outcry about participation trophies is. In my experience, they're given out at rec league level, which is designed for fun. When you are in an actually competitive league, it's winner takes all.

This is so easy. You guys are proving my point better than I ever could. Nothing is ever your fault. Blame everyone but yourselves.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaredm...preneurship-starting-businesses/#5a53de3c1d63

"Millennials have been called the most entrepreneurial generation. While this may be true based on their desires to start businesses, millennials are not following through on their entrepreneurial dreams."

"The Brookings Institution reports that business startup rates are much lower now than in the 1980s. Business dynamism, determined by firm entry, firm exit, and job reallocation rates, has declined by over 4%. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrya...to-start-their-own-businesses/2/#2d661bc23f34

"According to the Small Business Administration, only about 2% of millennials were self-employed as of 2014. Compare that to 7.6% of generation Xers and 8.3% of baby boomers. This implies that millennials today are far less likely to start or own their own businesses than their older counterparts. And that’s not all. The Kaufman Foundation found similarly surprising statistics on millennials starting businesses; young people represented about 23% of new entrepreneurs in 2013, which is down from 35% back in 1996. This implies that age differences alone aren’t enough to justify that discrepancy; it appears to be a generational shift."

Boomers are much more likely to start our own businesses than millennials. That's on you.

please, cherry pick more data to prove a dumb point.

did you read the piece, yet?

It's not a dumb point. millennials cry about no jobs. Boomers, GenX and people before us started our businesses.

National data on jobs and businesses is hardly "cherry-picking". Maybe you learn the definition. Or maybe I should post it so you don't have to even have to do that for yourself.

"Definition of cherry-pick
intransitive verb
: to select the best or most desirable
transitive verb
: to select as being the best or most desirable; also : to select the best or most desirable from cherry-picked the art collection"

Clearly picking a major sector of job creation is not cherry-picking.

That's one way to put it. I think of phone technology for example. A generation ago, a phone was a purely social tool, a way for people to talk to each other all over the world in real time. Now our phones do that but we don't use them to do that. Instead, social media doesn't facilitate communication, it paints the idealized version of people. If you only used Facebook or Instagram albums to judge how a person you've lost touch with is, you'll think their lives are all beach vacations and sunsets and fancy food and cute dogs. I think that's where the self absorption comes in, where not only are you showing this heavily curated version of you, you're also only getting the most superficial glance into other people's lives. That is of course just the social aspect of technology's impact on society. It's also to say nothing of the dumbing down of the way we communicate, text over talking, shorthand over complete sentences, no eye contact, etc. The way we consume media and culture is so different too, in thirty seconds you can get a simulacrum of an art gallery or a mountainside or a song or a play or a tv show by using your smart phone. That sets up the hedonic treadmill where we're never satisfied and always saturated.

The economic impact is still perhaps greater. Microsoft Office alone has increased the productivity of the average workplace to such a staggering and immeasurable degree, but production has so far outstripped wage growth that today's completely drowning in debt young workforce is making less in real wages to do more work than their parents in the same office job. Things are only accelerating in that direction as automation is making our lives easier and putting people out of work.

Good post. And it's important to note this effects everybody, not just millennials.

Boomer piece of shit reads article (probably still hasn’t read) about how boomers are pieces of shit, immediately responds with typical boomer piece of shit blame game and deflection.

You know what's pathetic ? Senior competitions. So sad to see these Greatest Generation and aging Baby Boomer people compete only against other old people and receive a trophy.

Boomer piece of shit reads article (probably still hasn’t read) about how boomers are pieces of shit, immediately responds with typical boomer piece of shit blame game and deflection.

Lol of course he hasn't read the article.

Boomers are much more likely to start our own businesses than millennials. That's on you.

What do you need to start a business? Capital.

Hard to build capital when college prices are exploding, wages are stagnant, and most new jobs are minimum wage.

Guess what the average net worth of a black family in Boston is? If you guessed any number higher than $8, you'd be wrong.

Last edited:
The internet should help entrepreneurs. It gives you a great chance to prove concept, to do cheap marketing, to partner with others.

Because if the internet, you can try things quicker and with a worldwide audience rather than a local one. When i was your age, it was nearly impossible to partner with people even in developed nations like England Germany and France. Unless you worked for a giant company, it was difficult, time consuming and expensive to get info on other markets or how to tweak a product or service for them.

I am not saying it's a panacea. It basically killed number of industries like travel agents, music recording and others. It's harming publishing in general.

As to skills, each generation will have different skills as they should. Each new generation should improve on the previous one's skills. Some skills will go by the wayside. New ones will make them obsolete and that's OK.

If you guys actually paid attention to many of my posts rather than having Pavlovian responses, you'd see my #1 gripe is your generation doesn't take enough chances. Who cares if you fail once or twice or five times? Each time you should learn more.

But you guys have to swing from your constantly defensive positions.

The internet should help entrepreneurs. It gives you a great chance to prove concept, to do cheap marketing, to partner with others.

Because if the internet, you can try things quicker and with a worldwide audience rather than a local one. When i was your age, it was nearly impossible to partner with people even in developed nations like England Germany and France. Unless you worked for a giant company, it was difficult, time consuming and expensive to get info on other markets or how to tweak a product or service for them.

I am not saying it's a panacea. It basically killed number of industries like travel agents, music recording and others. It's harming publishing in general.

As to skills, each generation will have different skills as they should. Each new generation should improve on the previous one's skills. Some skills will go by the wayside. New ones will make them obsolete and that's OK.

If you guys actually paid attention to many of my posts rather than having Pavlovian responses, you'd see my #1 gripe is your generation doesn't take enough chances. Who cares if you fail once or twice or five times? Each time you should learn more.

But you guys have to swing from your constantly defensive positions.

Does the article, which we are all sure you read top to bottom, discuss any factors that would explain why people would take fewer chances now vs. then?

Back