• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paul Ryan Expected to Retire After Midterms

I don't think Ryan is evil. I do think he's some parts dumb and other parts extremely sheltered through is limited life experiences. I doubt he's spent more than 5 minutes talking to a poor person who didn't call him "sir," "boss," or "chief."

You really think tax cuts are evil? The only thing really messed up with the Tax bill was dropping the estate tax, but personally dropping the estate tax is amazing for some people I know well that are not "rich" in the traditional sense.

Tell me more about these people that have estates worth more than 11 million dollars (5.5 million if they are single) but are not rich.

Your a family of four with an 11 million dollar estate you want to pass to your children. You die and each child gets 5.5 million dollars. That put into a low yield fund is guaranteeing those kids earn conservatively about 250,000 dollars the rest of their lives for doing nothing but being born. Not a rich family though.

Also Paul Ryan has straight contempt for the poor and the less well off who rely on the government while he himself relied on the government for a job his entire life. He stands on a mountain of hypocrisy where he bitches about deficits and debt, while cutting taxes, so that he can then turn around and cut services. He is a piece of shit a few rungs down below trump and the turtle.

like the waning english nobility of late mid-late 20th century. a bunch of once-wealthy, titled land owners inhabiting crumbling palatial mansions.

i'm sure....

Reminds me of the cautionary tale of Zimbabwe, you never want to take the land from the rich white men.

Just comes down to political philosophy. His safety net cuts are pretty evil to me.

Tax cuts aren't evil, everyone likes low taxes. But they pay for important social services that people need.

In his Rand reality, America is a perfect meritocracy where trying hard = auto success. He has no capacity for political ambiguity or nuance.

Do you agree that the projections for Social Security and Medicare's future cost obligations require a significant overhauling of the system?

Land rich, cash poor.

Reminds me of the Royals owner saying he couldn’t afford payroll increases because he’d “lose money” while the value of the franchise went from 90 million to 900 million.

Real fixes to social security, raise the cap, raise the age, means test. Ryan way of fixing, cut it all till it helps nobody and collapses to nothing.

Townie, there's no way to turn land into cash without Republican help. None. It's not like there's people out there who will give you money simply because you own something worth a lot of money that likely increases in value over time. Can you imagine such a thing?

This can't be serious.

My aunt bought a bunch of property for relatively cheap in northern CA AND built a bunch of houses on it herself. Now her estate is valued ar more than 5mil even though she put around 500k into it over 40 years. Now she won't be able to pass the land down to my cousins because they won't be able to afford the taxes, or at least that's what she was saying.

My aunt bought a bunch of property for relatively cheap in northern CA AND built a bunch of houses on it herself. Now her estate is valued ar more than 5mil even though she put around 500k into it over 40 years. Now she won't be able to pass the land down to my cousins because they won't be able to afford the taxes, or at least that's what she was saying.

plama was talking about people for whom $38 dollars a month would be a windfall. Two americas.

Real fixes to social security, raise the cap, raise the age, means test. Ryan way of fixing, cut it all till it helps nobody and collapses to nothing.

I think most all reasonable people agree with your ways of fixing it. I don't really follow the politics on this issue in detail but at least for a time dems opposed any of those changes out of principle. Is that still the case?

So? Why can't your cousins work for a living and build their own wealth? Why should I feel sorry for someone who got a 1000% return on a $500K investment?

Back