• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paul Ryan Expected to Retire After Midterms

ah, sweet memories...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/house-majority-leader-to-colleagues-in-2016-i-think-putin-pays-trump/2017/05/17/515f6f8a-3aff-11e7-8854-21f359183e8c_story.html?utm_term=.57f0601b5a25

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016, exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

Before the conversation, McCarthy and Ryan had emerged from separate talks at the Capitol with Ukrainian Prime Minister Vladi­mir Groysman, who had described a Kremlin tactic of financing populist politicians to undercut Eastern European democratic institutions.

News had just broken the day before in The Washington Post that Russian government hackers had penetrated the computer network of the Democratic National Committee, prompting McCarthy to shift the conversation from Russian meddling in Europe to events closer to home.

Some of the lawmakers laughed at McCarthy’s comment. Then McCarthy quickly added: “Swear to God.”

Ryan instructed his Republican lieutenants to keep the conversation private, saying: “No leaks. . . . This is how we know we’re a real family here.”

good times, man. Paul was a solid dude. Peace out bro

It continues to astound me that it is 2018 and people still refer to progressivism as a bad thing

the Atlantic's obituary of Ryan's political career. We'll see if he has a second act in 2024, I'm betting he tries. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/04/paul-ryans-sad-legacy/557774/?utm_source=atlfb

In the final analysis, Republicans, led by folks like Ryan, made deficits into a boogeyman to block support for cash-strapped states and adults without jobs in the aftermath of the Great Recession, when unemployment was higher than 9 percent. But under Trump, when the need for deficit-financed stimulus had gone down, he and other Republicans blew up the deficit anyway.

Good short read.

Hard left? nah, the pendulum will swing normally back to the left, as it should. Some really good ideas about guns and the environment and income disparity and health care on the left, my man. Come on over, the hippies have been right about everything since the 60s.

pretty much

It continues to astound me that it is 2018 and people still refer to progressivism as a bad thing

Trumps progressive fair trade wars are a disaster and STRAIGHT From the progressive playbook. The fact that people can’t see that progressives would tank the economy shocks me.

Trumps progressive fair trade wars are a disaster and STRAIGHT From the progressive playbook. The fact that people can’t see that progressives would tank the economy shocks me.

You serious? Which progressives were advocating for these trade wars?

Real progressives are calling for international trade unions, not economic nationalism. It was Bernie’s LEAST progressive stance.

You serious? Which progressives were advocating for these trade wars?
Probably trying to spin leftists disagreements with NAFTA into some bullshit tacit approval of Trumps idiocy.

Trumps trade wars are not progressive. Progressives want socially responsible and environmentaly responsible trade agreements among nations. We want our leaders to insist on safe working conditions, minimum wage laws and environmentally sustainable practices as part of the trade pacts and tariff negotiations.

I really can’t believe the Pubs are so in on this joker. He is gonna leave them high and dry (wasn’t that a good def leopard album?).

I'm not sure if this goes far enough, Ryan was more than happy to use Trumpism to his advantage. Without the tea party nuts he never would have become Speaker.

Never forget:

Back