• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paul Ryan Expected to Retire After Midterms

Because it is not about the money but about our families property.

I could be wrong, but the tax only applies to the value of the property over $5.5MM. So it is basically a $5.5MM deduction on your taxable liability. The family, I’m sure, could get a loan to cover the taxes if they don’t have the cash.

Paul Ryan gettin paid...

Trump is destroying the Republican party.

That's what they get for allowing/encouraging their media surrogates to stir up the most ignorant elements of this country into a giant crazy stew over the last 25 years, and especially 2008-2016. Now they're going to eat their cooking and apparently it doesn't look too appetizing to Ryan and Co.

Looks like the Wisconsin deadline to file is 6/1. So Republicans have just over a month and a half to recruit someone to run against the Nazi dude that was trying to primary Ryan.

Actually Randy Bryce is an iron worker, not a steelworker.

As anti-union as Ryan is, I be he'll take his union-like Congressional pension that includes top, top free healthcare.

That's what they get for allowing/encouraging their media surrogates to stir up the most ignorant elements of this country into a giant crazy stew over the last 25 years, and especially 2008-2016. Now they're going to eat their cooking and apparently it doesn't look too appetizing to Ryan and Co.

Yep the Republican Party deserves everything bad that is coming it’s way. It intentionally created a monster that they couldn’t control that is tearing them down internally. What really hurts is that America is going to go hard left to extremist progressives like Bernie and the bros in response to this.

This. Rats on a sinking ship of middle-American whites pining for the mythical America that the rightie echo chamber conjured up and sold them.

Yep the Republican Party deserves everything bad that is coming it’s way. It intentionally created a monster that they couldn’t control that is tearing them down internally. What really hurts is that America is going to go hard left to extremist progressives like Bernie and the bros in response to this.

Hard left? nah, the pendulum will swing normally back to the left, as it should. Some really good ideas about guns and the environment and income disparity and health care on the left, my man. Come on over, the hippies have been right about everything since the 60s.

I actually agree with Catamount. Social media has made it very easy to get locked into and reaffirm biases which seems to have led to more extremists. I'd be interested to see how other media developments (printing press, radio, television etc) affected politics throughout history; particularly if it tends to encourage populism. It seems like a lot of people have just started learning a very little bit about a lot of extremely complicated issues, which usually leads to anger/frustration.

It's difficult to tell though if there actually are more extremists, or if they have just gotten louder because of social media.

Last edited:
But that primarily happens on the right.

Who is this Hard Left people are afraid of and what Hard Left policies do they think will ruin the country?

I guess the fear would be that wages rise so high and money gets so spread out that it stifles entrepreneurship and ingenuity. That America becomes so involved in helping other countries that we don't even help ourselves. Hell, idk. I'm certainly not taking up that banner, and I can't keep up with what Fox News is scaring the hell out of the right with these days.

I think it'd be an interesting exercise (the Paul Ryan thread probably isn't the place for it) to discuss what a similar strategy built to destroy the left from within would look like. Given Bernie's popularity, I think it's disingenuous to presume social-populism couldn't split the democratic party.

Last edited:
How would more people making more money stifle entrepreneurship and ingenuity?

Bernie’s not all that popular. Not Hillary was popular and Democrats ignore it like they did in 2008.

I think the most likely outcome is a balance between the left and Dem moderates bolstered by the realization that much of the right is full of shit and unwilling to engage so there’s no need to cater to them.

Last edited:
Back