• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paul Ryan Expected to Retire After Midterms

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2018/05/24/paul-ryan-breaks-the-hypocrisy-meter

Speaking at the National Catholic Prayer Breakfast on Thursday morning, House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) pronounced that “there is a deeply serious problem we see right now within our society.” What might that be? “We see moral relativism becoming more and more pervasive in our culture,” he declared. “Identity politics and tribalism have grown on top of this. All of it has been made more prevalent by 21st-century technology. And there is plenty of money to be made on making it worse.”

It’s kind of his job to pay attention to blatant corruption in the federal government.

It’s kind of his job to pay attention to blatant corruption in the federal government.

It's also the reporters job to make that the next question when a politician gives that lame ass excuse.

Paul Ryan’s long con

Ryan’s office did not grant my request for an interview for this piece. But now, as Ryan prepares to leave Congress, it is clear that his critics were correct and a credulous Washington press corps — including me — that took him at his word was wrong. In the trillions of long-term debt he racked up as speaker, in the anti-poverty proposals he promised but never passed, and in the many lies he told to sell unpopular policies, Ryan proved as much a practitioner of post-truth politics as Donald Trump.

But more important than the differences between Ryan and Trump are the similarities. Yes, Ryan is decorous and polite where Trump is confrontational and uncouth, but the say-anything brand of politics that so outrages Trump’s critics is no less present in Ryan’s recent history. How else can we read a politician who rose to power promising to reduce deficits only to increase them at every turn? Or a politician who raked in good press for promising anti-poverty policies that he subsequently refused to pass?

Good article. It's also very revealing (probably unintentionally) of just how gullible and easily impressed the supposedly hardened and shrewd Washington press corps is. They seem to have been taken in by Ryan and the Tea Party's con game hook, line, and sinker, at least until it became blatantly obvious that it was all a lie. The author of the article basically admits that he and other DC journalists mistook Ryan for a genuine intellectual in politics, when in reality he was just a more polished and wonky version of Trump when it came to cutting deficits and spending: lots of lies and deceptions, with results that were the opposite of what he claimed to want.

thanks for posting.
Ultimately, Ryan put himself forward as a test of a simple, but important, proposition: Is fiscal responsibility something Republicans believe in or something they simply weaponize against Democrats to win back power so they can pass tax cuts and defense spending? Over the past three years, he provided a clear answer. That is his legacy, and it will haunt his successors.

Sooner or later, Trump’s presidency will end, and there will come a new generation of Republicans who want to separate themselves from the embarrassments of their party’s record. As Ryan did, they will present themselves as appalled by both their party’s past and the Democrats’ present, and they will promise to lead into a more responsible future. The first question they will face, and the hardest one to answer, will be: Why should anyone believe they’re not just another Paul Ryan?

I was interning on Capital Hill during Obama's first inauguration - a great time to be there. I'll never forget the number of tea bags we got in the mail from citizens who were apparently "concerned" about "the debt" and "the deficit." For a while, I even gave the tea party a pass - I didn't agree with 99% of what I heard from them, but who doesn't like fiscal responsibility? It took me about a month to realize the GOPs plan: "we can't afford to do anything Obama wants to do, because look at the debt clock!" It was especially easy to get those fools riled up when the President was a black man.

I'm only 31, but I cannot remember a movement that gained so much ground (See McCain's VP selection) only to die so suddenly. It's almost like it was never really about the debt...

...citizens who were apparently "concerned" about "the debt" and "the deficit."
...who doesn't like fiscal responsibility?
...the GOPs plan: "we can't afford to do anything Obama wants to do, because look at the debt clock!"
...It's almost like it was never really about the debt...

Political "fiscal responsibility" is never about debt. It's about taxes and maintaining a social divide between the economically comfortable and the impovershed.

Paul Ryan congratulates himself for doing things he never actually did

You may wonder: Is it not tone-deaf to release this video while the financial markets are in the throes of their worst December since 1931, at the end of a year in which all economic indicators point to recession ahead? You may wonder: Is it not bizarrely unaware to salute yourself for an accomplishment that you manifestly failed to accomplish? Yes, you probably do wonder all that. But then you are not a man or woman of destiny. You do not have faith. You do not have vision. You have just a Google search function, a calculator on your phone, and an IRA that is worth less today than it was a year ago.

And What Can You Say About Paul Ryan?

The version of Paul Ryan that he and his staff tried to project for years ― the image of a squeaky-clean numbers guy, rolling up his sleeves, solving tough policy problems ― is a sham. According to a number of polls, many people now recognize him as a monumental partisan, a politician who won a reputation as a wonk because he was able to memorize a few lines from an actuarial table and then promptly ignore his own pledges to balance the budget when he had the chance. Ryan is the man who, perhaps more than anybody else, normalized Trump, who led reluctant Republicans back to Trump, who went along with the president even when he knew he shouldn’t and traded his dignity for a tax cut.

“History will not be kind to a president who, when it came time to confront our generation’s defining challenge, chose to duck and run,” Ryan said of Obama after the president once again criticized the House GOP budget in 2012.

But when it was his party controlling Congress and the White House, during a time of economic prosperity, when Washington has traditionally looked to realign the federal budget, Ryan didn’t shrink the deficit; he nearly doubled it, through a combination of spending increases and tax cuts. Legislation enacted since Trump took office will add $2.7 trillion to the national debt. The tax cuts and spending bills enacted in fiscal 2018 alone will widen 2019’s deficit by $445 billion, according to the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget. And the yearly deficit, which was $585 billion in fiscal 2016 ― the year Ryan took the speakership ― will be roughly $1 trillion when he leaves office.

Ryan just ran like scared dog he is from passing the CR after Trump threatened a veto if the $5B for the wall isn't included.

How appropriate is it for Ryan's last big effort as Speaker is to be a toady and coward?

He leaves the House on his knees alternating kissing Trump's ass and feet.

Back