• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump bans words at CDC

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/16/health/cdc-banned-words/index.html

"n a 90-minute briefing on Thursday, policy analysts at the nation's leading public health institute were presented with the menu of seven banned words, an analyst told the paper. On the list: "diversity," "fetus," "transgender," "vulnerable," "entitlement," "science-based" and "evidence-based.""

Come back to us George Carlin. :)

This makes sense from a policy perspective and is definitely consistent with the freedom and anti-pc movements.

A Christmas Prayer with Seven Words
A prayer offered on Dec 17th by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker, All Souls Unitarian Church, Washington, DC

We remember the Magi,
Observers of stars,
Evidence-based seekers
Who found their way to kneel before a baby.
May we, too, kneel before life's intricate mysteries
Following the path of science-based searchers for truth

We remember Mary
Birth mother of the revolutionary prophet
The fetus in her womb a surprise,
Her choice a decision to magnify her hope,
The birth difficult,
Attended by a beautiful diversity of animals,
And a rag-tag gathering of vulnerable people.
May we, too, kneel at the cradle of earth's dreams for peace
And dedicate ourselves to revolutionary love.

We remember Joseph,
Unexpectant father,
Who embraced the baby as his own
Believing that every child has a God-given entitlement
To love and care.
May we too stand by the women and children of this world
When patriarchal privilege and power threaten their freedom
And put their well-being at risk.

We remember the Angels
Singing in the cold to the over-taxed poor,
Promising peace and goodwill to all.

May we echo their song in acts of solidarity and justice
For all souls--refugee souls, green souls, disabled souls,
Black souls, young souls, transgender souls.

May we join the bold, holy movement to bring heaven to Earth,
And may the Morning Star brighten our hope for a new day,
And may laughter strengthen all our prayers. Amen.

yeah, quick question: doesn't Lucifer mean "the Morning Star"?

yeah, quick question: doesn't Lucifer mean "the Morning Star"?

Yea, the literal translation of Latin to English

Despite the King James translation, Lucifer is most likely not a proper name in Isaiah.

BSatan and Jesus have been described as the morning star - not as a proper name, but as a metaphor/characteristic - the one who is brighter than all others.

So Isaiah refers to this being that outshines other and that being's fall, while John refers to Jesus and his bringing light to darkness.

Last edited:
One of my contracts is with a big bio researcher and I got this email today.

Dear NAM members,

I know many of you were deeply troubled, as I was, by a report last week that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been instructed not to use certain words – including the phrase “evidence-based” – in its 2018 budget documents. Although some officials are now walking back this claim, National Academies leadership nevertheless believes it is important to state unequivocally that such censorship, if true, would have disastrous consequences for both science and policy making. As such, the three Academy presidents – Marcia McNutt (NAS), Dan Mote (NAE), and I – have cosigned a strong statement condemning this politicization of CDC’s important work and reiterating the National Academies’ commitment to science-based policy advice. I encourage you to circulate this statement among your networks, and I welcome your thoughts about this issue.

Best regards,

Victor

Yet another thread where sailor, defender of free speech everywhere, is conspicuously silent.

true - more pointing out that it is most likely descriptive, not a proper name

You'd think that bearing light would be a good thing. So did the KJB translators just whip out their handy vulgate and proper-noun Jerome's rendering of the Hebrew? What's the deal?

This is an interesting question. And come to think of it, I randomly had a look at the newly-discovered (!) KJB translators' hebrew bibles a couple of years ago. I should head back and check out their notes on Isaiah. I don't have any hebrew, but I can see the article now: "The Invention of Lucifer" !!! My colleagues who do Hebraica and Judaica had heard about the discovery when I emailed them, but none of them had been out to see it.

Back