• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bullshit Fox News Says

Weird that they didn’t include OAN ratings.

CNN and MSNBC could continue to benefit from more left leaning people turning in knowing they aren’t going to be inundated with Trump. My wife went to the Women’s March then came back and stopped watching news all together to the point that she wouldn’t even watch the news with me. I only started back watching any news during the election cycle. On social media, I’m seeing more left leaning people talking about watching MY GIRL Jen Psaki’s press briefing. I’m sure that will die down some after the newness of the Biden administration wanes. Remains to be seen how active the Dem base is outside of election cycles.

I’m not sure Fox News will recover without the drug of Trump. Can be fuel their base on straight anger anymore?

I think I read somewhere that OAN doesn't use/have ratings for some reason. If true that is odd.

I'm sure that others have read this, but the ratings for Fox have plummeted since the presidential election in November. They finished dead last in the ratings on Inaugural Day, and their ratings were down a whopping 77% from the 2017 Trump inaugural.

"From Election Day (Nov. 3) through Inauguration Day (Jan. 20), when Democrat Joe Biden was sworn in to succeed Trump as president, CNN was the most-watched cable news network in both total viewers (1.8 million) and those 25-to-54 (501,000), the key news demographic, according to Nielsen ratings.

Fox dropped to third (1.5 million) across the day, trailing MSNBC (1.6 million), although it narrowly leads MSNBC (283,000 to 278,000) among viewers ages 25 to 54.

CNN also took over the top spot among viewers in the key demographic in prime time, where Fox features its biggest hitters – opinion hosts Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham – although Fox remains No. 1 overall."

The article speculates that some Fox viewers have switched to OAN and Newsmax, and that Fox may eventually regain its top-rated status as viewers return to Fox after sampling OAN and Newsmax, and right-wing opposition to Biden grows. I guess we'll see - but it's easy to see why Fox is ditching most of its last remaining straight news staff and digging in even harder on pure opinion shows.

Link: https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/01/22/cnn-replaced-fox-top-rated-cable-news-network-post-election/6666017002/

I watched the first few minutes of Hannity two nights in a row, and it probably gets repetitive after awhile. He just basically said the same exact thing two days in a row. Trump was great in the sense that he created new content every single day. There's going to be a lot less content now, and that is going to have to drive down ratings.

Fox dropped to third (1.5 million) across the day, trailing MSNBC (1.6 million), although it narrowly leads MSNBC (283,000 to 278,000) among viewers ages 25 to 54.

these numbers are amazing. Jesus there are a lot of olds watching cable news.

these numbers are amazing. Jesus there are a lot of olds watching cable news.

No doubt. My parents watch Fox and Fox Business all the time. You see all of those commercials showing active olds hiking in parks or going on picnics or taking trips and whatnot, when the truth is the great majority of them lead mostly indoor sedentary lives watching cable news, the weather channel, and retro TV nostalgia channels. Or at least that's what it often looks like.

To be fair, we are in a pandemic and old people are high risk.

Fox News is a hazard to our democracy. It’s time to take the fight to the Murdochs. Here’s how.

Margaret Sullivan
Rupert Murdoch, center, chairman of Fox Corporation, with his sons Lachlan, left, and James, in 2016.
Rupert Murdoch, center, chairman of Fox Corporation, with his sons Lachlan, left, and James, in 2016. (John Phillips/Getty Images)
I happened to be watching Fox News on election night when the network startled the political world by calling Arizona for Joe Biden.

It was a weird moment, without the fanfare that usually accompanied the announcement that a state was being put in one column or another. A few hours later, the Associated Press made the same call.

But many other news organizations, including The Washington Post, took days to reach that daring conclusion. For them, Arizona’s vote count simply remained far too close. Nate Silver, the data-oriented editor of FiveThirtyEight.com, even argued that Fox News should rescind its call, that it was too early to make the prediction.

More than two weeks after Joe Biden was declared the winner of the 2020 presidential election, Fox News opinion hosts have started to acknowledge Biden’s win. (The Washington Post)
And Trumpworld was enraged. Losing the traditionally red state would make it that much harder to proclaim that the election was so close that it must in fact have been stolen by the Democrats. It would disrupt the Big Lie narrative. Former president Donald Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, even called Fox honcho Rupert Murdoch to complain. But Fox News stood behind the call, which turned out to be correct.

But a lot has changed since then. Last week, two key members of Fox News’s decision desk abruptly departed the network. One was laid off, the other has retired, and some insiders are calling it a “purge.”

Apparently, at a network that specializes in spreading lies, there was a price to pay for getting it right. (“Fox News isn’t a newsgathering organization,” surmised press critic Eric Boehlert, arguing in response to the purge that its White House credentials should be revoked.)

In recent days, Fox has taken a sharp turn toward a more extreme approach as it confronts a post-Trump ratings dip — the result of some of its furthest-right viewers moving to outlets such as Newsmax and One America News and some middle-of-the-roaders apparently finding CNN or MSNBC more to their liking.

With profit as the one true religion at Fox, something had to change. Eighty-nine-year-old Rupert Murdoch, according to a number of reports, has stepped in to call the shots directly. Most notably, the network has decided to add an hour of opinion programming to its prime-time offerings. The 7 p.m. hour will no longer be nominally news but straight-up outrage production.

Why? Because that’s where the ratings are.

The pro-Trump media world peddled the lies that fueled the Capitol mob. Fox News led the way.

And in a move that should be shocking but isn’t, one of those who will rotate through the tryouts for that coveted spot will be Maria Bartiromo, whose Trump sycophancy during the campaign may well have been unparalleled. She was among those (including Lou Dobbs and Jeanine Pirro) recently forced under threat of a lawsuit to air a video that debunked repeated false claims on her show that corrupt voting software had given millions of Trump votes to Biden.

At the same time, Sean Hannity, who likes to blast Biden as “cognitively struggling,” and Tucker Carlson, who tries to sow doubt about the prevalence of white supremacy, have become even more outlandish as they try to gin up anti-Biden rage within their audiences.

Even James Murdoch, while not naming names, blasted the harm that his family’s media empire has done. “The sacking of the Capitol is proof positive that what we thought was dangerous is indeed very much so,” he told the Financial Times. “Those outlets that propagate lies to their audience have unleashed insidious and uncontrollable forces that will be with us for years.”

But it’s his father and his brother, Lachlan, who run Fox, not James.

How to get the Fox News monster under control? I do not believe the government should have any role in regulating what can and can’t be said on the air, although I often hear that proposed. That would be a cure worse than the disease. But let’s not count on the hope that the Fox-controlling Murdochs will develop a conscience.

No, the only answer is to speak the language that the bigwigs at Fox will understand: Ratings. Advertising dollars. Profit.

Corporations that advertise on Fox News should walk away, and citizens who care about the truth should demand that they do so (in addition to trying to steer their friends and relatives away from the network).

Big companies would never do that, you say? Don’t be so sure.

The Post reported last week that the 147 Republican lawmakers who opposed certification of the presidential election have lost the support of many of their largest corporate backers. General Electric, AT&T, Comcast, Honeywell, PricewaterhouseCoopers, KPMG and Verizon all said they would suspend donations to members of Congress who voted against certifying Biden as president.

This shows, at the very least, that there is a growing understanding that lying to the public matters, that it’s harmful — or “insidious,” in the words of James Murdoch. And that some corporations don’t want to be a part of that.

When you think about Fox News’s role in the 400,000 U.S. lives lost to the pandemic and in the disastrous attack of Jan. 6, it’s even fair to call it deadly.

So if reality-based America wants to communicate clearly with Fox News leadership, they’ll have to do it in a language they understand. The language of money.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...21f186-5cbe-11eb-b8bd-ee36b1cd18bf_story.html

"...You are no longer a citizen. You are not a free MAN. You are a SLAVE."

Tucker's real fears. Women and people of color.

I'm not sure that's true. I think he just understands that his audience is composed almost entirely of utter dipshits.

yeah and Fox is bleeding the Q-type viewers so they need to bring them back in the fold

I'm not sure that's true. I think he just understands that his audience is composed almost entirely of utter dipshits.

^This. From what I've read Tucker does share many of the resentments and grievances of his viewers against the "coastal elite" for not accepting him into their social club and for what he believes is their blackballing of him from their group, but overall I do think he's just playing to the rubes for ratings and money, and doesn't really believe over half the crap he says on his show. As Fox admitted in a lawsuit filed against him, he's just an entertainer, not a serious journalist of any kind.

Kayleigh McEnany is returning to Fox News after her stints with the Republican National Committee and then as Trump's final Press Secretary. Fox to RNC to Trump Press Secretary back to Fox seems like a perfect career path for a Trumpite and modern Republican.

^This. From what I've read Tucker does share many of the resentments and grievances of his viewers against the "coastal elite" for not accepting him into their social club and for what he believes is their blackballing of him from their group, but overall I do think he's just playing to the rubes for ratings and money, and doesn't really believe over half the crap he says on his show. As Fox admitted in a lawsuit filed against him, he's just an entertainer, not a serious journalist of any kind.

OK, maybe he’s more a wicked, selfish asshole.

OK, maybe he’s more a wicked, selfish asshole.

Oh, no doubt he's a selfish asshole, as are Hannity, Ingraham, Dobbs, Varney, Fox & Friends, and pretty much the whole lot of Fox talking heads. I still remember watching Jon Stewart tear Carlson a new one on the old Crossfire (Carlson has apparently never gotten over that humiliation), and Ted Koppel pretty much doing the same to Hannity on his own show years ago - Hannity had Koppel on as a guest and just raved about what a legendary journalist he was and an example for all "journalists" to follow, and Koppel pretty much ignored his fawning and ripped him a new one. Wish stuff like that happened more often.

We noticed a guy in pink pants being a total asshole to his waiter at a brunch place in Del Ray, around the corner from Old Town Alexandria. It was a bunch of years ago, but we realized it was Tucker Carlson. Snapped at his wife and talked down to her, blew up at his kids with no warning. Loud, complained about how awful all the food was, walked out on the check. Actually he said "it's comped anyway let's just go" so we tipped his waiter who was also our waiter on his behalf.

He was basically exactly as bad a person as you'd imagine based on his tv persona.

We noticed a guy in pink pants being a total asshole to his waiter at a brunch place in Del Ray, around the corner from Old Town Alexandria. It was a bunch of years ago, but we realized it was Tucker Carlson. Snapped at his wife and talked down to her, blew up at his kids with no warning. Loud, complained about how awful all the food was, walked out on the check. Actually he said "it's comped anyway let's just go" so we tipped his waiter who was also our waiter on his behalf.

He was basically exactly as bad a person as you'd imagine based on his tv persona.

He’s more used to frozen meals.

Back