• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Raleigh Dining Recommendations

The fall out from that also took out the editor in chief of the Indy, who had gotten a tip to investigate the story last year and buried it; said he didn't have the money at the time to assign it to anyone, then planned on doing it himself, and then just didn't, I guess. The staff spoke out, and the publisher canned the editor-in-chief.

I read through the Reddit threads last week. A lot of people in the industry saying this is a pervasive issue. I hope for all the good people working at Bida Manda and Bhavana that they are able to continue operating under the other 2/3 of the ownership group and rid themselves of the bad actors.

I read through the Reddit threads last week. A lot of people in the industry saying this is a pervasive issue. I hope for all the good people working at Bida Manda and Bhavana that they are able to continue operating under the other 2/3 of the ownership group and rid themselves of the bad actors.

The owner was a major problem obviously but the beverage director Jordan sounds like he was equally problematic and he had worked at Bida Manda since 2012. I personally don’t think I can feel comfortable eating at either place or buying their beer. One of the other owners is his sister so you can’t really claim ignorance.

Should have said “...she can’t really claim...” to make clear I wasn’t directing that at you wakelaw.

I second Crooks Corner. We had the Raleigh version of 411 West on Glenwood South and it was fine.

I’ve eaten at Provence in Carrboro which also was good and looks like they are currently open for patio dining. Lantern is also very good.

Also Orange County shit is desperately trying to be pretentious but despite that generally lame. Like the UNC branch housed there

This thread popping back up made me take a look at Bhavana and Bida Manda situation again. They're reopening (or just have done so) and they are still getting flamed. Good. Looks like they also have not issued an apology either.

Raleigh is the culinary capital of NC. Add Durham and call it "RDU" and Charlotte isn't even close. Come at me Biff. Wakelaw13's quick City of Oaks restaurant guide:

Best restaurants in the City:
Pooles Diner. If it's your first time in town or you're just starting to get to know the food scene, this is where you start. Ashley Christensen also owns/runs Death and Taxes, which is great. Spend half the money on equally good food and go to Pooles.
Bida Manda/Bhavana. Different restaurants, both fantastic. I'm in the minority with my preference for Bida Manda, but you can't go wrong. Bhavana also has the best beer in town.
Crawford and Son. Scott Crawford is the man, everything is great. He just opened a French Bistro next door as well.
Stanbury. Doesn't get the same hype as the others on this list, but it might be my favorite restaurant in town. The fried oysters are the best small plate in town, best pork chop I've ever had (style changes with menu) and steak special last time was insane. The bar is fantastic as well. Highly recommend.

Best by category:
Pizza: Oakwood Pizza Box. Get the square pizza. Trophy is a close second, and most would say the best brewery.
Cheap(er) food: Beasley's. The hot chicken is the best sandwich in town. Everything about it is perfect.
Burger: Chucks. AC has the best burger and the best sandwich in Raleigh. I love her.
Steak: would love to pick Angus Barn, but it's not great anymore. Oak is the best option in town.
Italian: Split between Vivace and Piccola. You want chicken parm/red sauce, go to Piccola.
Fine Dining: Second Empire is excellent. We have always opted for the more causal downstairs bar.
Seafood: The Cortez. Probably belongs on the list of the best restaurants in town. And if you're around for a happy hour, $1 oysters can't be beat.
Mexican: Gringo for more traditional, La Santa for Americanized. If you want to be really traditional, venture south of downtown to El Toro.
BBQ: this is a weak point, but I returned to Clyde Coopers recently and came away impressed. Good time to step their game up as Sam Jones is opening soon. A weakness may soon be a strength. Avoid the Pit, I cannot say this strongly enough.

Durham is getting an Oakwood Pizza Box location at Ponsyaurus. Even though we already have a couple of top tier pizza spots this will be awesome.

Lots of cross-pollination happening in Triangle dining of late. Fenton in Cary is getting an M Sushi and a Dram & Draught. My favorite Italian spot in Durham, Cucciolo Osteria, is opening a second location in North Hills. Obviously Oakwood as posted above.

finally did Oakwood Pizza over the holidays and it was good, but I guess I wouldn't say it was anything terribly special

finally did Oakwood Pizza over the holidays and it was good, but I guess I wouldn't say it was anything terribly special

Juice just murdering our excitement before the place even opens [kidding]. Mostly this will be great because (a) pizza and beer and (b) there are really no food options in close proximity to the brewery right now. They have a rotating food truck schedule, some of which are delicious and some not. So having a solid food option on-site will be ideal.

No one asked, but, if you want asian drive over to Cary and go to Goji Bistro. Thank me later.
If you want a pricier dinner in the asian-fusion/sushi vein, stay in Cary and head over to MC. Same guy that has Elements outside of Chapel Hill and used to have An in Cary. Awesome!

Oakwood Pizza Box get's a bias bump from me being a 5-10 minute walk from our house, but I really don't think there is better pizza in town. The square pizza is far superior to anything I've ever had in Raleigh. Toro in Durham is probably my second favorite.

Since my list above, there have been a few changes. Jolie has opened next to Crawford and Son. I've been probably 8 times because the rooftop is one of the few places my wife would agree to eat out since April. It's fantastic, although I wish the menu had a little more variety. The French onion soup and chicken fricassee are the best options.

Chucks has closed, Beasleys has expanded, and Pooles carryout is awesome. Pooleside Pies has also opened. The pizza is pretty good, but there are a lot of other good options on the menu.

I'm very excited to hear that Cucciolo Osteria is coming to North Hills. Cary is a winner with M Sushi. That's the best sushi I have probably ever had.

Oakwood Pizza Box get's a bias bump from me being a 5-10 minute walk from our house, but I really don't think there is better pizza in town. The square pizza is far superior to anything I've ever had in Raleigh. Toro in Durham is probably my second favorite.

Since my list above, there have been a few changes. Jolie has opened next to Crawford and Son. I've been probably 8 times because the rooftop is one of the few places my wife would agree to eat out since April. It's fantastic, although I wish the menu had a little more variety. The French onion soup and chicken fricassee are the best options.

Chucks has closed, Beasleys has expanded, and Pooles carryout is awesome. Pooleside Pies has also opened. The pizza is pretty good, but there are a lot of other good options on the menu.

I'm very excited to hear that Cucciolo Osteria is coming to North Hills. Cary is a winner with M Sushi. That's the best sushi I have probably ever had.

I love this place, except for their bizarre decision to put onions in their carbonara. Even among non-onion haters that is a head scratcher.

Back