• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jessie Bates Declares for NFL Draft

I was kind of hoping John would get to stay home in Jacksonville as a FA.

Jacksonville won’t stay in Jacksonville for long.

A quick reminder that there are two things going on post-draft: 1) undrafted free agent contract signings and 2) mini-camp invitations. Sometimes both are reported as “signings”, however as many of you know, there is a big difference between the two.

Undrafted free agents (UDFAs) – Priority players added to NFL rosters after the draft. UDFAs sign 3 year contracts for the NFL minimum, although those contracts only matter if they make the 53-man roster. They receive signing bonuses (usually around $10K, but can go higher if a guy is really a top priority). UDFAs count towards NFL roster limits. There are typically 10-15 UDFAs signed by each NFL team. While few UDFAs ultimately make the 53-man roster as rookies, many more will make NFL practice squads (a receive compensation of $7,200 per week).

Mini-camp invitees – Rookie mini-camps were introduced in the most recent collective bargaining agreement IIRC. NFL teams will invite 12-20 players that didn’t receive UDFA contracts to tryout for what is usually 1-2 remaining UDFA spots. So getting a UDFA spot from a mini-camp invite is a really good accomplishment. If I understand it correctly, players can attend more than one team’s mini-camp. That makes sense given that the players are not under contract when they accept a mini-camp invite.

As best as I can tell, John Wolford (Jets), Wendell Dunn (Steelers) and Cam Serigne (Saints) have each received mini-camp invites. I assume that means they could sign a UDFA contract with another team if one was offered.

A quick reminder that there are two things going on post-draft: 1) undrafted free agent contract signings and 2) mini-camp invitations. Sometimes both are reported as “signings”, however as many of you know, there is a big difference between the two.

Undrafted free agents (UDFAs) – Priority players added to NFL rosters after the draft. UDFAs sign 3 year contracts for the NFL minimum, although those contracts only matter if they make the 53-man roster. They receive signing bonuses (usually around $10K, but can go higher if a guy is really a top priority). UDFAs count towards NFL roster limits. There are typically 10-15 UDFAs signed by each NFL team. While few UDFAs ultimately make the 53-man roster as rookies, many more will make NFL practice squads (a receive compensation of $7,200 per week).

Mini-camp invitees – Rookie mini-camps were introduced in the most recent collective bargaining agreement IIRC. NFL teams will invite 12-20 players that didn’t receive UDFA contracts to tryout for what is usually 1-2 remaining UDFA spots. So getting a UDFA spot from a mini-camp invite is a really good accomplishment. If I understand it correctly, players can attend more than one team’s mini-camp. That makes sense given that the players are not under contract when they accept a mini-camp invite.

As best as I can tell, John Wolford (Jets), Wendell Dunn (Steelers) and Cam Serigne (Saints) have each received mini-camp invites. I assume that means they could sign a UDFA contract with another team if one was offered.

The wake Rivals site says that Cam is a Free Agent signee

See that ex-Wake OL Cory Helms will be in Saints camp as well. The small blurb says he transferred to SC due to family member's "severe illness".

The wake Rivals site says that Cam is a Free Agent signee

I'll go ahead and be a little salty here and add that the Wake Rivals (tho a super nice guy) site has absolutely ZERO legit Wake Forest connections.

I spoke with Cam personally last evening. It's a mini-camp invite. It's a great opportunity and an incredible fit for both Cam and the Saints. But the Rivals guy knows nothing first hand.

Last edited:
Does any undrafted guy sign the day after the draft? Draftees don't even sign that quick.

I figure they're all mini-camp invites until they've been evaluated.

Surprising to me that he did not get drafted
Find it hard to believe that it is because je is 6ft 3 rather than 6ft5. I guess folks really viewed him as a poor blocker.

When I was searching for info yesterday, I came across a link from August that had Cam as a top 3 TE prospect likely to be picked in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Does any undrafted guy sign the day after the draft? Draftees don't even sign that quick.

I figure they're all mini-camp invites until they've been evaluated.

My understanding is that UDFAs sign a contract right after the draft. Get a modest signing bonus. Contract has little to no guaranteed money. So despite the contract, there is no guarantee that the team will keep you on the roster through the start of training camp (although that seems to be the custom).

When I was searching for info yesterday, I came across a link from August that had Cam as a top 3 TE prospect likely to be picked in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Yep. It seems that a lot of obscure TE's were drafted in later rounds. Wonder what the knock is?

Yep. It seems that a lot of obscure TE's were drafted in later rounds. Wonder what the knock is?

Many teams see the tight end as a third smaller tackle, and not so much a big, slower receiver.

And there are plenty of TEs who can be smaller tackles and much bigger, not much slower receivers.

I'm fine with the fact we only had 2 draft picks and 0 UDFAs but we still beat State last year despite their 7 draft picks and 4 UDFAs.
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article210126754.html

N.C. State similarly dominated the Demon Deacons in a late-season loss in Winston-Salem with a 502-334 yardage advantage and 28 first downs (compared to 18 for the Deacs).
An excruciating fumble at the goal line, with 1:31 left in the game, hurt N.C. State but Wake quarterback John Wolford attempted 28 passes and wasn’t sacked once. Keep in mind, all four of N.C. State’s starting defensive linemen were drafted in the first four rounds.

That’s all a long way of saying, N.C. State had a good season but the draft was better.

Also a way of saying the Wake offensive line was very good this past season. Four NFL draftees stoned is excellent work in the trenches.

Also a way of saying the Wake offensive line was very good this past season. Four NFL draftees stoned is excellent work in the trenches.

Maybe Wake should have won more games with such a great offensive line.

Will we maybe have 4 of our O line drafted next year?
Not a crazy thought, but pretty wild after the intense criticism of our line in the previous few years.

Back