• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jessie Bates Declares for NFL Draft

Is Bates the first WF football player to declare after only 3 years in school? Abbate declared as a 4th year junior.

Maybe he can play corner, but at his size in the NFL I don't see safety. The game is changing however.

His punt return ability will boost his stock a little bit, I would think.

Possibly, but I never thought he was an overly dangerous return guy. Great hands, smart, etc., but when Dortch was healthy, Jessie was mainly used when it was a situation where we might get pinned deep and the coaches trusted his hands and decision making more.

Jessie not exactly ideal NFL size at safety is he? I mean it seems he would've been helped by another year in college to add some bulk.

I was thinking earlier that this reminds me of Jon Abbate's ill-fated decision to declare early. Seeing your post made me decide to post my thought. I sure hope it's not about frustration with school -- Wake can do that to ya -- as even more than Jon I think Jesse [had] more reason to stay.

What's wrong with his size? 6'1" 195lbs, so plenty of frame to add more muscle. Given his trajectory of 2* recruit to Freshman AA to draft-ready in 3 years, combined with nice size, plenty of ball skills and great athleticism, he might be a pretty intriguing prospect when you project out a couple of years.

I was thinking earlier that this reminds me of Jon Abbate's ill-fated decision to declare early. Seeing your post made me decide to post my thought. I sure hope it's not about frustration with school -- Wake can do that to ya -- as even more than Jon I think Jesse [had] more reason to stay.

Yeah, could be something like that or maybe his family's financial situation? Hope it's the best decision for him. He doesn't owe us anything, but the NFL can chew a guy up in a hurry if they aren't ready.

Abbate made the right decision. This is a good thing for Wake in the long run.

What's wrong with his size? 6'1" 195lbs, so plenty of frame to add more muscle. Given his trajectory of 2* recruit to Freshman AA to draft-ready in 3 years, combined with nice size, plenty of ball skills and great athleticism, he might be a pretty intriguing prospect when you project out a couple of years.

What's the average for an NFL safety these days, I would think maybe just north of 220?

But how many are drafted that are projects?

What's the average for an NFL safety these days, I would think maybe just north of 220?

_________ DEFENSE _________

SAFETIES

Height: 5’10”

Weight: 195 lbs

40-yd Dash: 4.55 sec

Arm Length: 30”

Hand Span: 9”

Intelligence: Above Average

Characteristics:

Instincts, Intelligence, Tackling, Coverage skills, Range, Speed

That is from sprayberry football.

I would say safeties can be 5'10-6'2 and 190-220 lbs ideally. Depends on if you're playing free or strong, which free (Jessie) will not have to be as heavy most of the time. He actually has fantastic size for his position, and has room to put on maybe 10 pounds ideally.

A little surprised, but he's a baller. Good luck in the league, JB3!

wish him best of luck and appreciate his services to UoWF. hope he sticks in the league of national football a long time.

Top 5 safety in this year's class, wouldn't have been surprised to see him as a late first round and early second round grade with one more year (and some more increased exposure).

I have no idea where, say, the 5th safety gets drafted on average. Maybe late third early fourth?

Back