• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jessie Bates Declares for NFL Draft

The top 5 free safety prospects are 6-3, 6-1, 6-1, 6-3, 6-2

The 6th and 7th safeties in the draft are listed as expected 2-3 rounders, with 7-12 dropping to 3-5.

This seems foolish from an outside point of view. No idea of JB's personal situation, though. Hopefully he received good counsel from his agent and "people", as well as WF.

Last edited:
Would be curious to know Clawson's role in the Bates' decision making process, if any.

Most late rounders, tbh. You start going BPA starting in later rounds depending on the GM (if you're DG you go BPA the whole time).

Unless you're pushing the envelope to get a QB, the best organizations go BPA in the first round and are more likely to try to fill needs in later rounds. Drafting for need in the first round is a great way to increase your odds of a bust.

Abbate made the right decision. This is a good thing for Wake in the long run.

I agree. If he was going to have a chance, after his ACC and Orange Bowl games was the time to go. I also think he just wanted a change after what he just went through with the loss of his brother. That decision was fine. Bates is a bit of a head scratcher though. He could have really improved his stock, where Abbate's was as high as it was ever going to get.

Unfortunately, that stiff arm that Christian Kirk gave him may ride him through this draft. In my mind, that stiff arm alone required him to return for his junior year ;-)

Unless you're pushing the envelope to get a QB, the best organizations go BPA in the first round and are more likely to try to fill needs in later rounds. Drafting for need in the first round is a great way to increase your odds of a bust.

I've had this belief for a long time actually. I was just stating observations of how teams actually draft. I'd go BPA every single pick and try to fill needs with free agency.

I agree. If he was going to have a chance, after his ACC and Orange Bowl games was the time to go. I also think he just wanted a change after what he just went through with the loss of his brother. That decision was fine. Bates is a bit of a head scratcher though. He could have really improved his stock, where Abbate's was as high as it was ever going to get.

Maybe so. He could have also come back, gotten hurt, and been saddled with that fragile stigma indefinitely. It may not be his best decision, but that doesn’t make it the wrong decision.

Good for Jesse. And good for WFU, to find and develop a player who could be a 2nd day pick after 2 seasons on the field. This opens another scholy for NSD.

I think he's nuts but what do I know....

So if a guy like Bates can go what should we expect with Dortch, Hines, Washington, Maggio, Henderson and gawd knows who else ???

I think he's nuts but what do I know....

So if a guy like Bates can go what should we expect with Dortch, Hines, Washington, Maggio, Henderson and gawd knows who else ???

Nothing at all.

Bates is a NFL caliber safety, those guys need more time at Wake if they ever want to be considered for the pros.

This means that WF should re-think red-shirting any frosh that may be good enough to leave early. Red-shirting Bates wasted one of his 3 eligible seasons.

Dortch could definitely leave early.

Yep, and to Pilch's point above, it seems like he's someone that definitely should have gotten some run as a true frosh. Hopefully he has a big year, but so do Washington, Hines, and the rest of the WRs doesn't blow up on NFL radars too much. He reminds me of a less mean/strong, but shiftier Steve Smith, and not just because of his number.

Players leaving early for the draft is a really great problem to have. Much better than being stuck with years of eligibility remaining.

I hope Jessie is getting good info. If so, CONGRATS!!!

Why wouldn't he be? This is great for him as he is a top talent! Certainly can't blame somebody for trying to better themselves!

This means that WF should re-think red-shirting any frosh that may be good enough to leave early. Red-shirting Bates wasted one of his 3 eligible seasons.

Yep. That's one of the reasons I was never fully appreciative of the blanket red-shirt program. Must be done selectively.

Back