• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jessie Bates Declares for NFL Draft

Maybe Bates is tired of playing for a coach whose defense got torched last half of the season.

This means that WF should re-think red-shirting any frosh that may be good enough to leave early. Red-shirting Bates wasted one of his 3 eligible seasons.

Bates was 2* on Rivals and 3* on ESPN (where he was ranked #107 at his position).

How would they know he was going to explode like he did?

We should red shirt them all, except when we have a need, like PK next year. The players we pulled the shirt on this year actually played, except Maginn. Bates is the exception at Wake, not the rule.

We should red shirt them all, except when we have a need, like PK next year. The players we pulled the shirt on this year actually played, except Maginn. Bates is the exception at Wake, not the rule.

Good luck to Jessie, with his competitive nature I think he will be a good pro

good luck to BATES!

panthers could use a new safety!

I've had this belief for a long time actually. I was just stating observations of how teams actually draft. I'd go BPA every single pick and try to fill needs with free agency.

That got Gettleman fired.

That got Gettleman fired.

No, being an asshole and focused all the time on winning in an organization that's not necessarily about that got Getts fired. Also, Kelvin Benjamin got him fired.

The little bit of pushback in this thread would not have occurred if JB had a repeat of his 2016 season.

So, are we UDB (University of Defensive Backs)

Not experienced enough not to write "University of Wake Forest". Bates should've proofed that better. Just saying.

My 5 year old knows it is Wake Forest University. What's next, the University of Duke. Great agent.

And our pass defense is a big question mark now.

Looked like it when we gave up 50 to TAM

Yes that was impressive, with Bates.

We gave up 257 points in our last 7 games. Without Bates, it might have been 350.

The person who should be leaving is our DC.

We gave up 257 points in our last 7 games. Without Bates, it might have been 350.

The person who should be leaving is our DC.

Transition year since it was his first at Wake. His version of the 4-2(3)-5(4) is more secondary centric, while Elko's was more LB centric.

Give home another year, but K hope he doesn't squander what should be a good Wake offense.

Complete and possibly irresponsible conjecture- but he and Clawson didn't seem to click on the sideline. Kind of got a Mac McGill/Coach Taylor vibe from it (although it could just be the sawvel/McGill resemblance)

I'm not sure that Sawvel wants to play the same defensive schemes that Elko did. But he has players recruited to fit Elko's preferred defense. I'd give him a year or two (yeah, let's hope that doesn't squander some good offense) to get the defense organized to his liking. Losing Jesse Bates for next season doesn't help, though.

Jessie. A class act and great player that we were fortunate to have be a Deac. Hope he has s long and healthy career in the NFL.

Sorry to see Jesse leave Wake this year. Good luck playing on Sundays next year. May he be drafted by a team with good DC and STC who figure out how to use his skills.

Come back and finish your degree!

I'm not sure that Sawvel wants to play the same defensive schemes that Elko did. But he has players recruited to fit Elko's preferred defense. I'd give him a year or two (yeah, let's hope that doesn't squander some good offense) to get the defense organized to his liking. Losing Jesse Bates for next season doesn't help, though.

I think some patience should be afforded coordinators. Important to show definite progress, though.

Best of luck to Jesse. I'm a huge fan and watching Wake players move on to the NFL is an uncommon treat. We will miss him and hope we can find an adequate replacement for him. Any uncommitted top notch safeties still on the board?

Back